• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The current situation

Agreed. There are realistically only a handfull of games we should stand a chance. Basically every road game is a loss perhaps except VT. We should probably beat BC at home and from there you have to start searching for wins. NCState, GT, Clemson at home are the most likely candidates. I doubt we sweep those so we are looking at about 4 wins. We'll probably win some game we don't expect but I figure we have a ceiling of about 6 wins left and possibly 1 or 2 in the worst case scenarios.

We beat Miami last year and almost beat fucking Duke, so I definitely suspect we'll win a couple at home that folks aren't currently including in the likely W column.

The apparent "good fit for Wake" Clawson hire makes the Bz hire all the more look like an outlier in Wellman's resume. Perhaps he will recognize that whatever he hired Bz to do has been done, and it is now time to get a coach at Wake who can win on the court and in the press conferences.

Our home schedule is pretty tough with ND and Syracuse as home only games. I find it funny that many hold on to a close game with Duke last year as some example of how this team should perform. Based on the entire season of work, Miami and Duke were extreme outliers.

I don't think anybody is saying it's an example, just that there are bound to be another home outlier or two.

We should remember the outcome --> we lost. There was 1 home outlier that we won --> Miami (perhaps NC State counts too). Nevertheless, I don't see too many tweener games at home where we could catch lightning in a bottle and win (maybe ND?)

I wouldn't bet on any home game in particular, but I definitely think we'll pull a home upset at some point. For example, the smart money is obviously not on us beating UNC, but it would not scramble my mind if we were to pull a home upset over a weird UNC team. This is not intended as a defense of [Redacted] or this team or anything really, just an observation.

(Note, I have no idea if we even host UNC this season, that's how little I care about our bball program these days.)

Point taken. They play UNC at home next weekend ;-) so we'll get that one out of the way.

If Wake upsets UNC next week...Bz will likely be given a reprieve and a possible contract extension...not out of the realm of possibility.

I was thinking 15-17 before the season, and 16 is looking about right. Most any home game outside of Dick could be a win. I see 8 winnable games: State, @Clem, @VT, GT, FSU, Clem, BC & @Mia. As bad and soft as we are, I see us grabbing a couple of road wins, especially in Blacksburg.

Notre Dame at home is very winnable. They have already lost Indiana State and ND State, and their leading scorer is now done for the season. Would guess that WF will be favored in that one. 7,8 or 9 ACC wins would not surprise me. I agree with KidA that WF will win just enough for Wellman to claim progress and justify an extension. The problem with Bz is that is ceiling is so low that even if WF manages a surprisingly just above mediocre season, so what? While I disagree with many here that think that Bz is incapable of coaching this team to 18+ wins, the fact is that is not a major accomplishment here, just look what GDO, Prosser or even Gaudio did here. Going 8-10 in the ACC and making the NIT is bad season for WF basketball. If that is Bz's high water mark after 4 years, it is time to move on, but I think Wellman will spin 18 wins and an NIT bid as progress, when it is not.

Last edited:
Notre Dame at home is very winnable. They have already lost Indiana State and ND State, and their leading scorer is now done for the season. Would guess that WF will be favored in that one. 7,8 or 9 ACC wins would not surprise me. I agree with KidA that WF will win just enough for Wellman to claim progress and justify an extension. The problem with Bz is that is ceiling is so low that even if WF manages a surprisingly just above mediocre season, so what? While I disagree with many here that think that Bz is incapable of coaching this team to 18+ wins, the fact is that is not a major accomplishment here, just look what GDO, Prosser or even Gaudio did here. Going 8-10 in the ACC and making the NIT is bad season for WF basketball. If that is Bz's high water mark after 4 years, it is time to move on, but I think Wellman will spin 18 wins and an NIT bid as progress, when it is not.

18 wins will not get us an NIT bid.

I thought the NIT was like the Masters where the past champions were invited back for life.

#bringbacktheRoK

I still have this really sinking feeling that [Redacted] is going to be extended after we find a way to scratch out 18 wins (mostly against the bottom of a really sketchy ACC). Someone talk me off the ledge.

This.

We beat Miami last year and almost beat fucking Duke, so I definitely suspect we'll win a couple at home that folks aren't currently including in the likely W column.

I would agree except for the fact that we had a guy in CJ that was a true leader and got more out of his teammates than Travis or CMM will. Still, you would expect some unexpected win at home from a team with this athleticism.

I still have this really sinking feeling that [Redacted] is going to be extended after we find a way to scratch out 18 wins (mostly against the bottom of a really sketchy ACC). Someone talk me off the ledge.

We have six home games left against unranked opponents, so to get to 18 wins we'd have to win all six of those games and either win twice on the road or beat two of Carolina, Duke and Syracuse at home. If we play like we've played against teams that aren't abysmal, we're not winning eight more games.

Can't talk you out of the possibility that he's extended, but in the end it will only cost us a year. We are a bad team this year--that should be clear from last night's performance if it wasn't before--and it will take a miracle for this team to make a meaningful (i.e. NCAA or NIT) postseason tournament. After this year, we will lose two guys, Travis and Coron, who are unquestionably among our top four players. To offset them, and whoever transfers, we will add McClinton, who won't have played for a year, a gimpy Shelton Mitchell, Daniel Green, and Rondale Watson. None of them will do anything to remedy our two biggest weaknesses--big man play and shooting--and so we will be even worse next year. After a fifth straight year with no NCAA Tournament, not even Ron will be able to justify keeping Bzdoofus, and we'll finally have life again.

Is losing that year an ideal scenario? Of course not. But whether 3 months or 15, the end is near, the light has come into eyeshot, we will be free once more.

Last edited:
Wellman is so damn PATHETIC that he has made many who care about the success of WFU Athletics extremely APATHETIC!

"But whether 3 months or 15, the end is near, the light has come into eyeshot, we will be free once more."
You should be a presidential speechwriter, that's beautiful. It's inspiring and gives me hope.

Can't talk you out of the possibility that he's extended, but in the end it will only cost us a year. We are a bad team this year--that should be clear from last night's performance if it wasn't before--and it will take a miracle for this team to make a meaningful (i.e. NCAA or NIT) postseason tournament. After this year, we will lose two guys, Travis and Coron, who are unquestionably among our top four players. To offset them, and whoever transfers, we will add McClinton, who won't have played for a year, a gimpy Shelton Mitchell, Daniel Green, and Rondale Watson. None of them will do anything to remedy our two biggest weaknesses--big man play and shooting--and so we will be even worse next year. After a fifth straight year with no NCAA Tournament, not even Ron will be able to justify keeping Bzdoofus, and we'll finally have life again.

Is losing that year an ideal scenario? Of course not. But whether 3 months or 15, the end is near, the light has come into eyeshot, we will be free once more.
Agree with all of this. We will definitely be worse next year if [Redacted] is brought back, unless he brings in ANOTHER 5th year transfer. Our offense will be LOL terrible next year.

That said, I only see 5 or 6 more wins this year. No NIT. Buzz will be gone.

Back