• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The current situation

Wellman does have an out, thanks in part to many of us: he will fire Bz at the end of the year and he will, and I mean he will say to the press that Bz never had the support of the Wake fans and that was the main reason Bz was not successful. It was a good hire but we never gave him a chance and did not support the team. Wellman absolves himself and makes a Clawson-like hoops hire and keeps his job. This is exactly what is going to happen.

I don't care if Ron Wellman takes a dump on my lawn. He can shit all over the fans as much as he wants as long as the Bz nightmare ends and we make a decent hire.

Can't talk you out of the possibility that he's extended, but in the end it will only cost us a year. We are a bad team this year--that should be clear from last night's performance if it wasn't before--and it will take a miracle for this team to make a meaningful (i.e. NCAA or NIT) postseason tournament. After this year, we will lose two guys, Travis and Coron, who are unquestionably among our top four players. To offset them, and whoever transfers, we will add McClinton, who won't have played for a year, a gimpy Shelton Mitchell, Daniel Green, and Rondale Watson. None of them will do anything to remedy our two biggest weaknesses--big man play and shooting--and so we will be even worse next year. After a fifth straight year with no NCAA Tournament, not even Ron will be able to justify keeping Bzdoofus, and we'll finally have life again.

Is losing that year an ideal scenario? Of course not. But whether 3 months or 15, the end is near, the light has come into eyeshot, we will be free once more.

Agree with your assessment, though I'm depressed about the possibility of another year for Buzzdick. You're right about losing 2 of our top 4 scorers in Travis and Coron. Coron has been a nice addition. And though Jones, Rountree and Moto may turn out to be nice role players, none of them can hit a pig's ass with a banjo. And we can take it as a given that next year's Buzzdick coached team will be as soft on D and on the boards as his last 7 have been. So yeah, the only way we have a winning record next year with Buzzdick is if we avoid all Bahamas-like trips and don't play the Richmonds and Xaviers of the world, going for an entire OOC slate of > 200 Kenpom teams solely at home.

On a side note, 99% (198/200) of our minutes last night were played by seniors and sophomores. Nice job recruiting and balancing the classes, Bz, you incompetent buffoon.

Wellman does have an out, thanks in part to many of us: he will fire Bz at the end of the year and he will, and I mean he will say to the press that Bz never had the support of the Wake fans and that was the main reason Bz was not successful. It was a good hire but we never gave him a chance and did not support the team. Wellman absolves himself and makes a Clawson-like hoops hire and keeps his job. This is exactly what is going to happen.

That's bad PR and makes Wake less attractive to other coaches. Wellman won't do that. He'll fire/force Bz to resign. Thank him for his time and effort in running a clean program but that we failed to win at levels Wake Forest expects.

That's bad PR and makes Wake less attractive to other coaches. Wellman won't do that. He'll fire/force Bz to resign. Thank him for his time and effort in running a clean program but that we failed to win at levels Wake Forest expects.

That's exactly what will happen.

Yep. He may not even address the wins and losses publicly. But he'll absolutely thank him.

"The opportunity for Jeff to return to his professional roots was simply too appealing, and we wish him the very best of luck as the new head coach of the WNBA San Antonio Silver Stars."

Yep. There was a time when I listened to every non-televised game on broadcast.com and later yahoo. The thought of doing such a thing today doesn't cross my mind. In fact the list of things I'd do instead is very long and tedious. We'd routinely go out of our way to catch games in W/S or on the road. Haven't done that in years. It's sort of like a death in the family; nothing left but memories. I guess you could call me a fair weathered fan, but the weather around Wake basketball has been worse than fair for too many years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...e-forest-among-saturday-153715927--ncaab.html

Stock down: Wake Forest's rebuilding job

If Saturday's 68-53 loss at Xavier was a measuring stick for the Wake Forest rebuilding process under Jeff [Redacted], then what it revealed wasn't very encouraging for the Demon Deacons. Wake Forest may be good enough to avoid ugly losses to the small-conference programs this season, but the Demon Deacons have not progressed far enough in year four of [Redacted]'s tenure to threaten quality teams away from home. A 10-3 record is impressive, but a closer look reveals Wake Forest hasn't accomplished much. Not only have the Deacs lost convincingly to Kansas, Tennessee and Xavier, their best win is also either against rebuilding USC or middling Richmond. What went wrong Saturday against Xavier was pretty much everything. The Musketeers clobbered Wake Forest on the glass, limited the Deacs' transition opportunities and held their half-court offense in check. That will have to change for Wake Forest to experience more success on the road in the ACC.
Didn't know our stock was ever up enough to go down. Funny how the author writes as if Wake has had success on the road in the ACC under Buzz. Dude needs to look up that stat.

Who even cares anymore??? I hate to say that as I used to set my calendar around Wake basketball games. Now I don't care.
I certainly don't care anymore. I didn't watch the game. I yawned this morning when I saw the score.

I ran through the schedule. I see 6-7 conference wins. 1 of Clemson/VT on the road, and then everyone but Duke, 'Cuse, and the heels a home. Still isn't enough, and we go find a new coach.

I guess I'm part of the "who gives a damn" brigade. I really don't and won't until this clown has been run out of town. And this from a person who threw his TV out the window after the WVU tourney loss. I'm not joking. Luckily the TV was old and we had a big yard and the dogs were inside. Good job, Wellman.

Yeah - no way Wellman says anything like that. He'll say that Bzz inherited a tough situation and left the program in better shape than when he arrived or some crap like that.

Yeah - no way Wellman says anything like that. He'll say that Bzz inherited a tough situation and left the program in better shape than when he arrived or some crap like that.

It will go like this....

"Jeff [Redacted] has done absolutely everything we asked of him. He has built a foundation for future success. Jeff is simply passing the torch to his successor as Wake Forest continues to succeed both on and off the court. We wish Jeff all the best in his future endeavors."

As much as I loathe agreeing with OGB, I think his analysis is correct. We'll get one more year of Bz after this one and Wellman's hand will be forced in spring 2015.

As much as I loathe agreeing with OGB, I think his analysis is correct. We'll get one more year of Bz after this one and Wellman's hand will be forced in spring 2015.

I can't see Bzz working out his contract. Either Wellman has to extend his contract (please Lord no!) or get rid of him after (or during) this season. As bad as his recruiting has been so far, Bzz won't even be able to land 2 star recruits if he is a lame duck coach. It seems that in this era, coaches pretty much work with a contract that goes at least 2-3 years into the future, just to be able to convince recruits that the coach will still be there when they come to the school. If Wellman lets Bzz go into next year as a lame duck, then the b-ball program will be in even worse trouble than it is right now.

Back