• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The essential app thread - what should you have?

dartsndeacs

THE quintessential dwarf
Reaction score
I have like 3 apps installed on my phone, enlighten me fellow posters, what should you have installed on your phone and what does it do?

Surprised this thread doesn't exist. I'll update the OP for the good ones.

my-virtual-girlfriend-iphone-app-review.jpg

I'm actually interested in this thread. I feel like there are a number of good apps I'm missing out on.

The ones I use regularly are:

Eat 24 - food delivery
Grubhub - food delivery
City Eats - restaurant reservations
OpenTable - restaurant reservations
Parkmobile - parking meter payment
Uber
Xfinity to go - can control my home DVR
CityMaps2Go - awesome app for international travel. locational maps that use your cell signal and not data to pinpoint your location (i.e., it's free)
Sky Guide - shows all of the constellations in real time based on which direction you point your point. nerdy fun.

I also have a number of others as well that are pretty common (ESPN, Soundhound, Pandora, Netflix, etc.)

Flashlight app. Turns your flash into a flashlight.

Not to be confused with the fleshlight app, which is slightly different.

How much does Uber set you back? Seems as if planning a night around that makes going out a pretty expensive proposition.

How much does Uber set you back? Seems as if planning a night around that makes going out a pretty expensive proposition.

UberX is cheaper than cabs in DC. I rarely spend more than $10 to go anywhere.

I've got

1) empire deluxe mobile edition on my phone, great way to kill time. Old school game that came out like 20 years ago.
2) Waze to get around
3) Mint - for finances
4) Mahjong DF, because well Mahjong is awesome.
5) 2048

That's about it

I've got

1) empire deluxe mobile edition on my phone, great way to kill time. Old school game that came out like 20 years ago.
2) Waze to get around
3) Mint - for finances
4) Mahjong DF, because well Mahjong is awesome.
5) 2048

That's about it

Why not use Google Maps for getting around?

Yahoo Sports for looking up sports score/game tracking

Snapchat

YIK YAK

Dark Sky. Weather app that sends an alert a few minutes before it rains. Very helpful if you live somewhere like Florida with frequent but sporadic thunderstorms.

The only app I'll unabashedly recommend is MLB At Bat.

Does google maps take into account traffic on the spot and adjust?

Dude, you know Google purchased Waze right? They use any incident reports from Wazers and also show alternate routes pretty consistently with little text boxes saying the time difference to switch/etc.

Google hasn't (thankfully) added in the social overlays with gas prices and shit that make the app (Waze) a huge battery and data drain.

Amazon price checker - Scan a barcode and see how much cheaper you can get in from Amazon
Yelp
OpenTable
Tab- Split your tabs automatically based on a picture of your bill
NBC Sports Live Extra
FoxSports to Go
WFU Gameday
NOAA Weather Radar
Feedly - RSS Reader
Longform

Why not use Google Maps for getting around?

Yahoo Sports for looking up sports score/game tracking

Snapchat

YIK YAK

I've found that google maps can be a bit more accurate for finding the fastest route overall, but the Waze is better for up to the minute traffic conditions (google maps gets a lot of their updates on traffic from waze) and it will also alert you to police/speed traps coming up.

Dude, you know Google purchased Waze right? They use any incident reports from Wazers and also show alternate routes pretty consistently with little text boxes saying the time difference to switch/etc.

Waze shows locations of cops. Game changer.

Back