• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The essential app thread - what should you have?

Dude, you know Google purchased Waze right? They use any incident reports from Wazers and also show alternate routes pretty consistently with little text boxes saying the time difference to switch/etc.

Was I supposed to know this? I'm not an app nerd, that's why I started the thread.

Google hasn't (thankfully) added in the social overlays with gas prices and shit that make the app (Waze) a huge battery and data drain.

Yeah, Waze wipes out my battery in about 2 hours. It also has no problem directing me to toll roads, that's my biggest 2 complaints.

That being said, I didn't listen to waze once and avoided a toll road and I regretted the decision dearly.

Was I supposed to know this? I'm not an app nerd, that's why I started the thread.

I mean it was pretty big news when it happened, they paid over 1 billion for it iirc (and lots of Waze fanatics were worried they'd shut it down).

But yeah, I have it, just don't use it much because of all the extra shit/overlays I don't need because it does seem to absolutely kill my battery. Google Maps is also way better for public transportation stuff so if you're using it for directions in a city/etc.

I mean it was pretty big news when it happened, they paid over 1 billion for it iirc (and lots of Waze fanatics were worried they'd shut it down).

But yeah, I have it, just don't use it much because of all the extra shit/overlays I don't need because it does seem to absolutely kill my battery. Google Maps is also way better for public transportation stuff so if you're using it for directions in a city/etc.

Probably the only app acquisition I can recall in the news in the past X years is the purchase of whatsapp.

Dark Sky. Weather app that sends an alert a few minutes before it rains. Very helpful if you live somewhere like Florida with frequent but sporadic thunderstorms.

Yeah it's pretty cool if you have an iPhone. Fuckers haven't made the app for Android yet, so I usually just keep forecast.io up as a bookmark.

tell me about Yik Yak. What's it good for?

Ha, it's really a phenomenon for younger kids in college. I don't actually use it but it's hilarious to see some of the stuff they're posting. Basically an anonymous twitter but location based so you only see stuff posted by people nearby/in your area and posts get upvoted/downvoted.

I usually plug my phone in to charge when I use Waze.

What's the benefit to using Open Table opposed to just calling up the restaurant? Anything besides just being able to do it more quickly once you get used to it I suppose?

Also, seconded on Eat24. I seem to get a lotta cashback on that.

I'm actually interested in this thread. I feel like there are a number of good apps I'm missing out on.

The ones I use regularly are:

Eat 24 - food delivery
Grubhub - food delivery
City Eats - restaurant reservations
OpenTable - restaurant reservations
Parkmobile - parking meter payment
Uber
Xfinity to go - can control my home DVR
CityMaps2Go - awesome app for international travel. locational maps that use your cell signal and not data to pinpoint your location (i.e., it's free)
Sky Guide - shows all of the constellations in real time based on which direction you point your point. nerdy fun.

I also have a number of others as well that are pretty common (ESPN, Soundhound, Pandora, Netflix, etc.)

delete CityEats -- out of bidness. Most places are now on OpenTable

What's the benefit to using Open Table opposed to just calling up the restaurant? Anything besides just being able to do it more quickly once you get used to it I suppose?

Also, seconded on Eat24. I seem to get a lotta cashback on that.

It you set a time and number of people, it will show you every restaurant in the area that has space.

because if you wanna make a res on a certain day but you don't know exactly which place you want or which has availability. like if I wanna have datenight on Friday at 8 I can pull it up to see who has availability. and I don't have to call -- takes 2 seconds.

Are there a lot of instances where open table will say there's not a table open and if you call them there is?

Fantastical (best calendar app evah)
Dark Sky
Drafts (a little nerdy, but extremely powerful)
Downcast (best podcast app)
Strategery (simple but addicting time waster)

Are there a lot of instances where open table will say there's not a table open and if you call them there is?

Never had this problem.

Actually this is quite common. If there is a place I really want to go and OpenTable shows nothing available I will always call. Every restaurant is different, but some definitely don't put all of the availability on OpenTable.

ecrz.gif

Back