• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Future of Public Transit

The problem with this line of thinking is that moving people around isn't necessarily a value that is compensated within the price of the fare. The value stems from the economic development that results in property values and businesses due to the increased human mobility and freedom not to spend money on personal transportation devices. That value is pretty difficult to embrace within a streetcar, subway, or high speed rail ticket cost. Public transportation is very much a public good and needs to be treated that way.

nailed it. similar to the mail.

So much American productivity is wasted sitting in cars during the work week. It's time people could be spending working, or parenting, or out spending money in the economy. Instead, they're in cars.

Yeah, but driving is a lot more fun. I already spend enough time working, parenting, and spending money. My 25-minute commute is the most sane part of my day. The last thing I want to do is spend that time cowed in with a bunch of other schleps.

I don't care about public transportation, but the internet should probably be a utility and should be heavily subsidized by the government.

Back