• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The great responsibility of the American electorate

Beginning of the end today, I fear. A HRC win pretty much ensures further marginalization of the right, as well as those disenfranchised millions who left the Dems in the 80s/90s, voted Perot in the 90s, and voted for Trump. More anger as a result of blanket dismissals of her opponents as racist, sexist, xenophobic. More unfettered immigration to use "democracy" as a tool for one party rule. A HRC win also emboldens the establishment politicians, who once again would fail to address the enormous groundswell against them. The press has absolutely zero credibility now and isn't trusted by anybody. Abandoning any pretense of impartiality means more people will draw their news from ridiculous sources and are more poorly informed as a result. The abundance of information has made us all dumber.

I chalked it up as nonsense as recently as 4 years ago, but no longer do. States will revolt if there is another 4 years of the same shit. You will see more lawsuits challenging government authority, more legal slapdowns from the courts, and eventually states are gonna say fuck it and fuck you, we're done and it's the 21st century so you aren't going to send in troops to stop us. Buh bye. Dismiss such notions at your peril. We may not relate to this groundswell in our nice little suburban homes, but it's there. Regardless of who wins, the states need to convene a constitutional convention and agree on some new things outside of, apart from, and unencumbered by the weenies in Washington or else it's going to unravel. It is their responsibility to do so before opting out. They were given this option for precisely this reason.

Does a Trump win stop all that? It puts his side to bed for a nap, but it also just reverses that groundswell and causes more people in blue states to say fuck it, just not to the extent that you're seeing now. In the end, there is too much anger everywhere, too much vitriol. In spite of HRC and Obama implying it, hate isn't the preferred parlance of the right. It is abundant on the left as well. Politicians know it's a great motivator to get people to the polls. In the end, it will be the undoing for all of them when they no longer have a country to rule.

It is crazy and sad at the time that we live in the same country yet experience such a different reality. Legal slapdowns? You mean all the ones against crazy state legislatures like North Carolina's? States in revolt -- now that would be comedy. The midwest and deep south would be royally fucked without the dollars flowing in from the federal government. I would rather wait for the groundswell of old white people and white people without college degrees to get fucked before I indulge their bullshit.

Mostly force. HRC is just as much a NeoCon as McCain would have been. Time for that shit to end.

Hm, i'd argue out export of culture has had much more of an impact around the planet than our military forays. The shield provided by the West and its allies has ensured the rise of global commerce but I think that's less about actual combat and more about potential.

once again, Soft/Big Stick

The problem is working under the parameters of a two party system with a four party electorate. There is middle common ground that is good for everyone but both parties play to their fringes which in turn makes it appear that who they are pandering to is a bigger slice of the pie than they really are. For the right it's the white nationalism and fear of what has happen during globalization, for the left it's the free college, the use of money and reallocation of resources evenly. It's why most of the best ideas would be a combination of both parties stances, never happens now.

Back