• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The guy who leaked controversial NSA programs is not who you would expect...

Absolutely no way it is a majority. 20% tops (and that is generous).

It seems pretty convenient that he leaked this data while the Chinese PM was meeting with Obama and the POTUS was bringing up Chinese hacking.

The leaker could have picked anywhere in the world to go to hide but he chose China.

He left back in May.

You all are forgetting the 2012 primaries when the Republican field was tripping over themselves to get libertarian cred. I'm not saying they "are" libertarians, but that they would identify as such. When have you seen a Republican say, "hell no, I'm not a libertarian" in the last two or three years?

You all are forgetting the 2012 primaries when the Republican field was tripping over themselves to get libertarian cred. I'm not saying they "are" libertarians, but that they would identify as such. When have you seen a Republican say, "hell no, I'm not a libertarian" in the last two or three years?

More than before but it is no where near 50+%

A big percentage of the Tea Party considers themselves "libertarians".

The leaker could have picked anywhere in the world to go to hide but he chose China.

That's the part I don't get. Why go to Hong Kong/China when they already have extradition in place with the US? Why not go to Ecuador or Iceland?

That's the part I don't get. Why go to Hong Kong/China when they already have extradition in place with the US? Why not go to Ecuador or Iceland?

He could have holed up in the Ecuadoran embassy in London with Julian Assange. Actually, upon re-reading Assange's NY Times opinion piece from 2 Sundays hence, I am beginning to see the faceless googling bureaucrats he described in the 1.4 million classified agents we have spying on all our citizenry. Making us safer and better consumers to boot!

He says he has more than he disclosed. Think China might be interested?

If he actually has it, correct.

True. He does not strike me as savvy enough to try that level of bluff...but it might buy him time to solicit support. I was perusing the comments from the latest AP report and literally 100% responded with anger toward our government and officials from both parties. This may be like the scene from Gladiator when Joaquin has his thumb "turned" upward by the chant of the people.

Be interested to see how vigorously we go after him.

True. He does not strike me as savvy enough to try that level of bluff...but it might buy him time to solicit support. I was perusing the comments from the latest AP report and literally 100% responded with anger toward our government and officials from both parties. This may be like the scene from Gladiator when Joaquin has his thumb "turned" upward by the chant of the people.

Be interested to see how vigorously we go after him.

As a felon hopefully

McCain came pretty close in March when bad-mouthing Rand Paul's drone filibuster:

“If Mr. Paul wants to be taken seriously he needs to do more than pull political stunts that fire up impressionable libertarian kids in their college dorms." 3/7/13

When have you heard a Democrat say "hell no, I'm not a libertarian" in the last 2-3 years? By your absurd logic, most Democrat politicians are now libertarians.

PH, I am a registered Republican (since 1997) that has voted mostly Libertarian values for the last 2-3 election cycles. I'm a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of the Republican party. Hell, I spent some time on McCrory's campaign for a few months to help out a buddy...identifying as mostly libertarian made me stand out in a room full of 20 folks who were all in their late 20's to early 30's. There are certainly some young conservatives who are more socially liberal than the generation before them, but few of them identify as libertarian. I think you're confusing folks who support legalizing marijuana for libertarians.

Last edited:
No. I'm correctly saying that most Republicans will say they're libertarian based on what they see as a fiscal libertarian values in the Ayn Rand vein but they aren't really libertarians. Your anecdote and comparison don't really address my point. Democrats don't need to say they aren't libertarians because "libertarians" are Tea Party Republicans.

10 years ago, libertarian was identified as pro-weed and low taxes. Now it's generally identified with the Tea Party.

Back