• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The hamster ball, the sack race, etc.

The hamster ball is tired after all these years. The outcome is predictible...the two balls will run into each and the two inside will push and shove around the corner- acting like they are funny and we haven't seen this before. One of the hamsters will eventually fall racing down the stretch while the other dives over the finish line and celebrates. </yawn>

Because most of the stuff is boring, I have started ignoring it all.

I just wish we had more "College football" and less AA baseball stuff. Good teams don't need gimmicks to get fans. The product on the field, the student section, the band, the cheerleaders and dancers should be enough.

I know, we fail woefully in all of those categories, but still.... I can dream.

I just wish we had more "College football" and less AA baseball stuff. Good teams don't need gimmicks to get fans. The product on the field, the student section, the band, the cheerleaders and dancers should be enough.

I know, we fail woefully in all of those categories, but still.... I can dream.

This season, Ive been to games at Texas A&M, Baylor, and Cowboys Stadium (for Tamu vs Arkansas)...all of them filled each timeout/quarter break with a promotion/videoboard feature/ceremony presenting a trophy or giant check/or an on the field contest.

Texas AM is all about tradition, tradition, tradition..to the point that it is silly and as lame as it gets. if they have succumbed to "gimmicks" with a full stadium and huge demand (regardless of who the opponent is that day) i dont think you will ever see those things go away at wake.

Last edited:
This season, Ive been to games at Texas A&M, Baylor, and Cowboys Stadium (for Tamu vs Arkansas)...all of them filled each timeout/quarter break with a promotion/videoboard feature/ceremony presenting a trophy or giant check/or an on the field contest.

As long as there are giant captive audiences, there will be marketing dollars available to the holders of that audience.

Texas AM is all about tradition, tradition, tradition..to the point that it is silly and as lame as it gets. if they have succumbed to "gimmicks" with a full stadium and huge demand (regardless of who the opponent is that day) i dont think you will ever see those things go away at wake.

Point well taken. This season I've been to three Notre Dame games in South Bend, and there's almost none of this stuff. It's either check being delivered, or one of their "Traditions" (they'll have Indiana state troopers read jokes over the PA system, and then everyone will burst out in laughter regardless of if it's funny - lots of stupid stuff like this). I get that they're not like most, but it's an inspiring model of college football that I wish we'd work toward.

Point well taken. This season I've been to three Notre Dame games in South Bend, and there's almost none of this stuff. It's either check being delivered, or one of their "Traditions" (they'll have Indiana state troopers read jokes over the PA system, and then everyone will burst out in laughter regardless of if it's funny - lots of stupid stuff like this). I get that they're not like most, but it's an inspiring model of college football that I wish we'd work toward.

I think that everyone at wake wants to work toward that--but in reality that is going to be very difficult to achieve. The only way it can happen is with a tradition of sustained success on the field. Grobe is doing that better than anyone else ever has (and perhaps could) at Wake Forest. This has been the winningest stretch in wake football history, but the stadium still is not full unless we play a team that helps put butts in the seats. When i came to wake in 2003, groves was empty and pretty dull. it has been getting better and better (you can hardly recognize the stadium compared to 2003) and I dont see that trend reversing so long as grobe/wellman are around.

they'll have Indiana state troopers read jokes over the PA system, and then everyone will burst out in laughter regardless of if it's funny - lots of stupid stuff like this

That's better than a hamster race? :confused:

That's better than a hamster race? :confused:

Sure, most people think it's stupid, but I think the ones that really like it are the little kids who don't really understand what's going on in the game. It provides them entertainment, gives them something to cheer for, and is probably what will be one of their favorite parts of the game. It helps make for a more family environment. Just a thought.

So basically Notre Dame's tradition of telling stupid jokes is better because it happens at Notre Dame. The hamster race at Wake sucks because its at Wake. That's the message I'm hearing.

The utter inferiority complex of Wake fans is so tired.

Back