• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Hunger Games--Question

I imagine Avengers and even moreso The Dark Knight Rises will crush those numbers come summer. Seems like it happens every year and probably has more to do with rising ticket prices than anything else.

I imagine Avengers and even moreso The Dark Knight Rises will crush those numbers come summer. Seems like it happens every year and probably has more to do with rising ticket prices than anything else.

It's true about ticket prices. But this number is really impressive for a non-sequel.

So my wife and I saw this yesterday. During the previews, the theater ran the trailer for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. It was great because the whole trailer doesn't really express exactly what the movie is until the title flashes up at the end. So the title comes up, the crowd laughs and applauds its approval for the idea. Then a few seconds later after the reaction had died down, this old man a few rows in front of us, very loudly and very seriously goes "that's disgusting" Everyone laughs again.

Tucci was great. Really captured that character. I think that some of the credit for the cast performing so well is clearly direction.

I never said that I didn't necessarily like the changes. My wife and I had a huge disagreement about the uprising vs. bread scene in District 11. I think that the District 11 scene in Catching Fire was really powerful, and I am worried that this addition will weaken that in the next installment (if not replace it altogether). The bread would have been more emotional, but it would have been more difficult to explain in the film without an earlier, cumbersome scene of Peeta explaining bread at a meal or the commentators bringing silliness to the emotional crescendo of the film.

I agree with this. That scene in Catching Fire sets the stage for the whole uprising, and is what finally starts to sway Katniss into her understanding of what she stands for

I agree with this. That scene in Catching Fire sets the stage for the whole uprising, and is what finally starts to sway Katniss into her understanding of what she stands for

If I remember correctly, though, it was less the bread and more the impetus for the gift that was significant. The subversive implications of Rue's flower bouquet, along with Katniss' berry scheme -- both intended to reflect her agreement with Peeta's desire to show the Capital that they don't own him -- were the initial motivations for Snow's subsequent actions and the direction of the greater plot of the rest of the series. I think the film did a fine job of demonstrating the desired effect of the scene.

Last edited:
I'll post full thoughts tomorrow but I was very underwhelmed. Jennifer Lawrence and Stanley Tucchi were the standouts. The "careers" were awful.

56213410150738884970874.jpg

If I remember correctly, though, it was less the bread and more the impetus for the gift that was significant. The subversive implications of Rue's flower bouquet, along with Katniss' berry scheme -- both intended to reflect her agreement with Peeta's desire to show the Capital that they don't own him -- were the initial motivations for Snow's subsequent actions and the direction of the greater plot of the rest of the series. I think the film did a fine job of demonstrating the desired effect of the scene.

I guess I should have said sets the stage for the uprising in Katniss' mind. In Hunger Games her actions are solely based out of friendship/keeping herself alive. But the bread/friendship she shows ends up setting stage for that District 11 scene

I get your point though

I read HG on my flight last week and read Catching Fire yesterday. I'll probably read the final book this week and try and see the movie this weekend. They are really quick but entertaining reads.

What's with all these racist Hunger Games fans getting mad that Rue and Cinna were black? [/IMG]

while reading the book i thought it was obvious rue was black. not cinna though.

not that it matters either way...

they're book characters. unless it explicitly says a character is a color (or its implied in story context), they can be whatever color the director decides to cast. i don't get the uproar from all those people about having black actors play the parts, other than the fact they're bigots.

I had not initially pictured Rue to be black. Katniss kept comparing her to Prim so my mind's eye picture white, blond hair, blue eyes.

I did think the movie had some pretty passive racism though.

Apparently I missed this description on page 45:
"…And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that's she's very like Prim in size and demeanor…"

Apparently I missed this description on page 45:
"…And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that's she's very like Prim in size and demeanor…"

I hadn't pictured Rue being black either. For some reason while reading the book I pictured her looking more like a Filipino or Pacific Islander. Not sure how I got that out of the description you just quoted though, haha.

Back