• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Hunger Games--Question

district 11 was the agriculture district. orchards, cotton, grains, etc. it's the south. rue and thresh worked in the fields.

and these people are surprised and angry that rue and thresh are black? seriously?

district 11 was the agriculture district. orchards, cotton, grains, etc. it's the south. rue and thresh worked in the fields.

and these people are surprised and angry that rue and thresh are black? seriously?

Yeah, why aren't they mad that all the black people were in one district (Cinna wasn't described in the book as being black)? That is the racist part to me.

Yeah, why aren't they mad that all the black people were in one district (Cinna wasn't described in the book as being black)? That is the racist part to me.

OUTRAGE!

It is a little unsettling that all the agriculture district members are black, given American history, but really all the members of all the districts are basically slaves.

OUTRAGE!

It is a little unsettling that all the agriculture district members are black, given American history, but really all the members of all the districts are basically slaves.

Yeah but they are still segregated from the other people. And apparently the "best" at harvesting.

I just think that is the bigger criticism compared to whether or not Rue/Thresh is black.

Saw the film on Saturday and already sped through the books. Gets pretty depressing.

On the OP's topic, we went to the 6:15 showing at the Grand 18 yesterday (one of 30 showtimes that day) and sat in the theater with only 2 other couples.

Is Cato black?

No. Thresh and Rue are. At least one of the tributes was Asian (but one that got killed in the initial bloodbath). IIRC, the rest of the named tributes (i.e. the ones that live past the very beginning) are white.

Laughing at this part of this article about the racists tweets this morning.

Since the tweets have been collected, called out, and condemned, some of the accounts have disappeared, and a countertweet defense movement launched. One poster took over one deleted account to come up with satirical variations: "why does Frederick Douglass have to be black not gonna lie kinda ruined abolition" and "why does the Harlem Renaissance have to be black not gonna lie kinda ruined the New Negro Movement."

I'm amused by the critics who think Jennifer Lawrence is too "big" for the role of Katniss. To begin, she's athletic in the book (a hunter and climber), which means she's likely not scrawny looking to begin with. Second, she's "big?" She's tall, but I'd hardly call her big. She's really beautiful.

Note: testicles left at door, per thread tag

I'm amused by the critics who think Jennifer Lawrence is too "big" for the role of Katniss. To begin, she's athletic in the book (a hunter and climber), which means she's likely not scrawny looking to begin with. Second, she's "big?" She's tall, but I'd hardly call her big. She's really beautiful.

Note: testicles left at door, per thread tag

People are asshats. You haven't noticed this kind of shit on this board even ?

No. Thresh and Rue are. At least one of the tributes was Asian (but one that got killed in the initial bloodbath). IIRC, the rest of the named tributes (i.e. the ones that live past the very beginning) are white.

I pictured him a total badass but I had no race in mind.

I was disappointed with the movie because I had pictured everyone as White Hispanic.

Caught this movie yesterday.

Going into it with zero knowledge of the story (other than what I'd seen from trailers), I really didn't have any expectations. I found myself relatively engaged with the story once it got going and thought the casting was the strongest part of the movie (with the exception of Elizabeth Banks - she didn't fit). I found myself really enjoying the concept of the story, as well as the mixed emotions one would feel going from slavery to grandiose excess, all the while knowing you're likely about to die.

That said - and trying not to spoil the plot - the end seemed like a cop out to me. There were so many more compelling ways to conclude that story, but the way they did it just seemed anti-climatic and easy. Very disappointing.

Also, was the main chick's faux-BF back home Joe Mauer? Holy shit, I did a double take at one point.

Caught this movie yesterday.

Going into it with zero knowledge of the story (other than what I'd seen from trailers), I really didn't have any expectations. I found myself relatively engaged with the story once it got going and thought the casting was the strongest part of the movie (with the exception of Elizabeth Banks - she didn't fit). I found myself really enjoying the concept of the story, as well as the mixed emotions one would feel going from slavery to grandiose excess, all the while knowing you're likely about to die.

That said - and trying not to spoil the plot - the end seemed like a cop out to me. There were so many more compelling ways to conclude that story, but the way they did it just seemed anti-climatic and easy. Very disappointing.

Also, was the main chick's faux-BF back home Joe Mauer? Holy shit, I did a double take at one point.

I mean it is the way to book ends.

Yeah, the end is what sets the basis for the next two books.

Saw it Saturday at the $3 theater in Kernersville. Only one preview before the movie; it was for Twilight and had some terrible line about two people being the same temperature.

Anyway, the movie. I had not read the book before hand (my wife did and loved it) so I too had little expectation. I knew the basic idea behind the setting. I enjoy dystopian-type movies so figured it would be entertaining. I thought the previews gave away too much. I figured Katniss would volunteer for her sister after saying nothing was going to happen to her. I really didn't feel much emotion when Rue died since she was on screen so little. On the other hand, her quick death catches you off guard a little bit so it is more jarring.

Didn't care that Kato died. Pretty obvious he was the closest thing to a bad guy since he couldn't kill Katniss early on and everyscene made sure to show him as a douche. Considering it is a trilogy though, I realize Kato wasn't that important anyway, he is just another tribute that stood in her way.

Overall, the movie left me wanting to know what happens next. So it did its job in terms of setting up sequels. As a stand alone movie, it left a little to be desired. I am going to read the books though; it is a very interesting concept.

Saw it Saturday at the $3 theater in Kernersville. Only one preview before the movie; it was for Twilight and had some terrible line about two people being the same temperature.

Anyway, the movie. I had not read the book before hand (my wife did and loved it) so I too had little expectation. I knew the basic idea behind the setting. I enjoy dystopian-type movies so figured it would be entertaining. I thought the previews gave away too much. I figured Katniss would volunteer for her sister after saying nothing was going to happen to her. I really didn't feel much emotion when Rue died since she was on screen so little. On the other hand, her quick death catches you off guard a little bit so it is more jarring.

Didn't care that Kato died. Pretty obvious he was the closest thing to a bad guy since he couldn't kill Katniss early on and everyscene made sure to show him as a douche. Considering it is a trilogy though, I realize Kato wasn't that important anyway, he is just another tribute that stood in her way.

Overall, the movie left me wanting to know what happens next. So it did its job in terms of setting up sequels. As a stand alone movie, it left a little to be desired. I am going to read the books though; it is a very interesting concept.

Gem Theater FTW!

A question for film enthusiasts: how do theaters show movies these days? DVD? Blue Ray? Old style film? I ask because I have a fundraising opportunity that involves the showing of a film, but I need to know (before I even look into theaters that might be willing to donate screen time) if a DVD is sufficient. Grazie.

I assume they use a digital projector that uses a file rather than a disc. The KVegas theater looked like it was film based on picture quality.

Yeah, the end is what sets the basis for the next two books.

I get it - more books = more money. More movies = more money. My point is the story would've been much more compelling if it tried to stand on its own, rather than clearly being the first in a series. Personal tastes I suppose.

Back