• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Jinx on HBO

I hope its better than Serial

So hack 'journalism' trying to create a false narrative for ratings?

It appears the obvious difference is that here, the suspect contacted the filmmaker (who had previously made a narrative film about the disappearance) about doing a documentary, so it shouldn't have that same feeling like the filmmaker has an agenda. It definitely sounds like the dude is nuts. Should be interesting.

Just watched the first episode, about to watch the second. First really sets the scene well on what seems like it will be a nice ride.

Watched Ep 2 last night. Dude is a legit creep. Whether he murdered those people or not, he is definitely mentally ill. The facial tics are too much. Kind of a bummer this interviewer bro doesn't push him more, but maybe they are saving that for later.

Watched Ep 2 last night. Dude is a legit creep. Whether he murdered those people or not, he is definitely mentally ill. The facial tics are too much. Kind of a bummer this interviewer bro doesn't push him more, but maybe they are saving that for later.

The abortion was the right call. Can you imagine him raising a kid?

I'm thinking Axis 2, prolly antisocial personality disorder. Had he not had a rich family, he'd have eventually ended up homeless and/or in jail.

Andrew Jarecki kind of looks like a sleaze himself. I don't know that I would put him on camera that much.

Kind of a bummer this interviewer bro doesn't push him more, but maybe they are saving that for later.

I'm just assuming they'll be going back to a lot of the stuff they seemingly passed over in Ep 2. I'm really fascinated to learn how this dude has avoided jail for either death, especially Galveston.

I'm just assuming they'll be going back to a lot of the stuff they seemingly passed over in Ep 2. I'm really fascinated to learn how this dude has avoided jail for either death, especially Galveston.

Not getting charged and prosecuted is a good way to avoid jail. I think he beat the charge in the 2nd case in Tejas with a self defense claim. While I get beating a charge using self defense, I'm interested in seeing how exactly how he was able to prevail given that he sawed the body into pieces and dumped them in a river. Facts like that usually tend not to help your cause.

We'll see what the rest of the show unearths, but I am thinking that dude's dad had a role in the death of his mom. I think the family used money and power to sweep both deaths under the rug. The whole abortion thing was like, "My dad was fucked up, and I know I am fucked up, and there is no way I am putting another person on this earth with my geneset.

Just watched the most recent episode. Holy shit that dude is fucking scary/creepy.
Matter of factly says: "I thought about putting it in a sleeping bag or something and dragging the whole thing out, but good God that's ridiculous." He then goes on to explain dismembering the body.

Chilling.

At the very least he basically admitted to perjury, right? He sure seemed to remember the dismemberment process pretty clearly this go-round.

I am inclined to believe that the guy who cut up a human corpse with a saw and axe is also quite capable of murder.

The jury forewoman may not realize that gullible is actually in the dictionary. I loved the saying about Texas that they hang horse thieves and let murderers go free, intimating that some folks just need a good killing.

Good trial strategy for the defense to confront the potential New York charges head on and demonize the New York prosecutor. The show didn't really present the prosecution's response to the self defense theory. I assume it was that the bullet hole was false and that the obvious explanation is the decedent had discovered Hurst's identity and tried to blackmail him, which is most likely what really did happen. I find it hard to believe the prosecution was caught completely off guard with the self defense theory.

As for his wife, yeah, sure he prolly killed her or paid to have her killed. But they haven't presented anywhere near enough information to where he could reasonably be charged yet.

I'd like to see them explore that LA murder of his former female friend as well.

Back