• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Last Minute Dinner Recipe List

jhmd2000

Unacceptably correct
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of food threads, but this one is specific to time-is-of-the-essence menu choices. What are your go-to dinner ideas when you don't have time to go to the store?

I'll start off with a one sheet-pan offering:

1. Preheat to 450F.
2. Dice chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces; drizzle with EVOO, season with S&P, and stir to coat thoroughly.
3. Roast on sheet-pan for 20-25 minutes.
4. Remove and add in choice of available vegetables (also coated with EVOO and seasoning of choice) to sheet-pan. I like diced carrots, asparagus, fingerling potatoes, Roma tomatoes, cauliflower florets. If you all fancy, try sliced plums and/or pineapple.
5. Roast for 20 more minutes.
6. Remove, toss and serve.

Last edited:
Similar:

Get out big pan. Use either precooked rice or instant rice and spread around the pan.
Then add chicken thighs, broccoli florets, and mushrooms. Drizzle some olive oil on the veggies.

Bake at 425 until chicken is done...about 25 min.

Last edited:
My other go to:
1. Brown ground beef, salt, pepper, and a chopped onion in a skillet.
2. Drain grease, add big can of diced tomatoes, a cup of rice, and a couple of glugs of Worcestershire sauce. Add about 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and let it simmer. When water is absorbed, add shredded cheddar cheese and serve. I like a salad with it.

This is even better stuffed in bell peppers but my kids don't like peppers.

Rice + pan-cooked tofu + broccoli or green beans + trader joe's garlic sriracha bbq sauce

I do not have meat in the house unless I go to the store.

My last minute dinners:

• microwave nachos: tortilla chips, shredded cheese, beans if I'm fancy.
  • peanut butter & jelly sandwich
  • baked potato (cooked in the microwave), topped with cheese and salsa or maybe chili if I have either of those. you've gotta scrub the eyes off the potato first because it's probably been in the cupboard for a while.
  • grilled cheese sandwich
  • if the fridge is really bare, just a can of peas or corn

Omelets with whatever veggies are about to go bad.

The Mrs. is a fan of the pasta + cream of mushroom soup + can of tuna + can of peas. 15 minutes from thought to table.

Cereal + milk

Eggs + bacon

I don't know that I've ever been so desperate that my only option for dinner was a can of peas (I'd just go out of that was the case), but I've definitely just fried a couple of eggs and put them on toast before. Not sure if that's any better, but it at least feels a little more complete. Add some black beans (I always have some) and salsa on the side, and voila! It's composed.

little-caesars-hot-and-ready-little-caesar39s-menu-the-best-for-feeding-a-crowd-fast-menu-cheaps.jpg

I am all about the grab and go meals and meal deals at fresh market. Pop in the oven and you are good to go. Those are critical to our weekly lives.

I don't know that I've ever been so desperate that my only option for dinner was a can of peas (I'd just go out of that was the case), but I've definitely just fried a couple of eggs and put them on toast before. Not sure if that's any better, but it at least feels a little more complete. Add some black beans (I always have some) and salsa on the side, and voila! It's composed.

Yep. Sautee minced garlic in evoo on bottom of sauce pan.
Once fragrant (the garlic, not me), stir in drained rinsed black beans over low medium heat.
Give minutes later. Add in diced tomato can, drained.
Simmer until reduced.
Finish with dollop of sour cream and dry parsley and cheddar cheese.
Best in the Fall.

My other go to:
1. Brown ground beef, salt, pepper, and a chopped onion in a skillet.
2. Drain grease, add big can of diced tomatoes, a cup of rice, and a couple of glugs of Worcestershire sauce. Add about 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and let it simmer. When water is absorbed, add shredded cheddar cheese and serve. I like a salad with it.

This is even better stuffed in bell peppers but my kids don't like peppers.

As I was reading, this recipe sounded familiar. We usually do stuff it into bell peppers.

Keep the rice and chopped tomatoes separate, add some hot sauce, and tortilla shells, and viola, you have tacos (sorta).

Get a big tortilla, spread some tomato sauce and melt some cheese on it, boom pizza

Quick pasta sauce that I make probably every other week. These are all pantry staples, so takes no forethought

Sauté a chopped yellow onion and three minced garlic cloves in a Tbsp or two of olive oil. Once they're cooked, add a 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes (if you want smoother sauce then use 28oz can tomato purée), a 15oz can diced tomatoes and small can of tomato paste. Add about 1tsp each of dried oregano, basil, parsley, salt and sugar and simmer all this for like 30 mins or until your kids are yelling for dinner.

Remove .89 Banquet chicken pot pie from freezer.
Remove Pie from box.
Microwave for 5 minutes.
Cool 1 minute.
Turn out on plate.
Consume.
Profit.

Back