• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Last Minute Dinner Recipe List

Quick pasta sauce that I make probably every other week. These are all pantry staples, so takes no forethought

Sauté a chopped yellow onion and three minced garlic cloves in a Tbsp or two of olive oil. Once they're cooked, add a 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes (if you want smoother sauce then use 28oz can tomato purée), a 15oz can diced tomatoes and small can of tomato paste. Add about 1tsp each of dried oregano, basil, parsley, salt and sugar and simmer all this for like 30 mins or until your kids are yelling for dinner.

I'll one-up your easy.

1 quartered yellow onion
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
4tbs butter
pinch of salt

put into pot, heat bring to a simmer, then turn heat back to low for ~30-45min. The end.
the hardest part is resisting the urge to add more to the sauce, but it really doesn't need it.

Weird how many of these last minute dinners take 45-60 min of prep.

Weird how many of these last minute dinners take 45-60 min of prep.

The thread started:
What are your go-to dinner ideas when you don't have time to go to the store?

It said nothing about 'you only have 5-10 minutes to prepare dinner.'

Ah. That explains it. Didn't read that post.

Usually go with a simple spaghetti carbonara or spaghetti cacio e pepe. Typically ~20 minutes from the time I start to the time I'm sitting down to eat.

Last edited:
mmm, cacio e pepe is so simple and delicious. I love it in the spring with some grilled asparagus on the side.

Usually go with a simple spaghetti carbonara or spaghetti cacio e pepe. Usually ~20 minutes from the time I start to the time I'm sitting down to eat.

do you transfer to a skillet with a little pasta water at a time?

mmm, cacio e pepe is so simple and delicious. I love it in the spring with some grilled asparagus on the side.

Asparagus is fantastic. As a micro-old, I have developed a taste for all the veggies I avoided as a kid. Brussel Sprouts, asparagus and cauliflower are regulars.

Cauliflower is the last holdout for me unless it's pretty heavily spiced or sauced.

On that brussel train though.

Cauliflower is pretty much the only vegetable I don't eat. I can't stand it.

Cauliflower is simply fine. I never buy it but eat it if someone serves it or it's part of a restaurant dish. there are just a lot of other better vegetables.

my holdouts are eggplant and zucchini.

yeah, I want to like eggplant (and zucchini) but both of them are just a little too sponge-like/styrofoam-y for me to really enjoy them.

I bought some cauliflower over the weekend. I don't think I've ever cooked it before so we'll see how it goes. Cauliflower rice is pretty good though.

If I'm looking for something quick I may cook chicken breasts in a pan with cut up veggies. I'll change the seasoning up but one of my favorites is with coconut aminos.

I bought some cauliflower over the weekend. I don't think I've ever cooked it before so we'll see how it goes. Cauliflower rice is pretty good though.

If I'm looking for something quick I may cook chicken breasts in a pan with cut up veggies. I'll change the seasoning up but one of my favorites is with coconut aminos.

check out the recipe I posted above. It is incredibly delicious.
smittenkitchen.com has a bunch of good cauliflower recipes if the cilantro/lime thing isn't your style.

yeah, I want to like eggplant (and zucchini) but both of them are just a little too sponge-like/styrofoam-y for me to really enjoy them.

yup. same with yellow squash. which is why I always hate when at restaurants and such their grilled vegetable side or on a sandwich or something are just those three things.

check out the recipe I posted above. It is incredibly delicious.
smittenkitchen.com has a bunch of good cauliflower recipes if the cilantro/lime thing isn't your style.
That sounds good. I'll have to try it out when I get a chance.

Back