• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The life of attorneys

Yeah but that is maple paneling.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

With all due respect, it's like you haven't been paying attention to the legal market the last 10 years. There aren't a million different lawyer jobs anymore. Law school debt, legal services contraction, companies disinterest in hiring JD's have all had a profound effect.

Whatever. I have been paying attention but you appear to have misread my post. I wasn't saying that there were millions of jobs or that a job was easy to get. My point was that there are tons of different KINDs of jobs within the legal community. Different types of jobs requiring different skills, different levels of commitment and providing different levels of pay-off, both financial and otherwise. That is true no matter what state the economy is in and no matter how difficult those jobs may be to get.

I understand there has been contraction in the industry, making it more difficult to get a job. I was not addressing that aspect of the question. I was discussing the pros and cons of lawyer as a job - assuming you can get a job (big assumption, I realize).

If you can go to a good or decent law school and finish in the upper part of your class and otherwise can relate to people and present yourself well in an interview, I think there are still plenty of opportunities out there.

If, on the other hand, you can only get into a bottom tier school and/or struggle to compete in the classroom and therefore finish in the bottom part of your class, things might be more difficult for you - unless you have other factors going for you.

Anyone who is paying big bucks to go to a lower-tier, for-profit law school while taking out big college loans - well, I don't think anyone is going to tell you that is a good idea right now.

A law degree also provides a built-in opportunity to own your own business. It is not for everyone and it is extremely risky... but... If you are smart and willing to work your ass off, especially at first, you can simply hang out a shingle and go to work. There are literally no limits on what you can build - but it takes gumption, skill, a lot of work and a good bit of luck to be successful.

A law degree also provides a built-in opportunity to own your own business. It is not for everyone and it is extremely risky... but... If you are smart and willing to work your ass off, especially at first, you can simply hang out a shingle and go to work. There are literally no limits on what you can build - but it takes gumption, skill, a lot of work and a good bit of luck to be successful.

Thank you, Tony Robbins of Cary NC!

No it doesn't. A law license does that and there are plenty of people that can get one and not the other.

Plenty other degrees afford those opportunities as well.

Back