• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Long Awaited SkinsNDeacs Star Lock Super Bowl Thread

Maybe..I just did not think that shit team could win the championship. I guess I was wrong. The worst pro championship team in sports in my life time. I guess that is the new NFL.

O well..

Welcome to single elimination sports. When you only have to beat someone once, it's not hard for the team that isn't neceassarily the best but the team that is playing their best at that time. Sometimes it's work for you and sometimes it works against you. I love the NCAA basketball tournament but it's not always about who the best team is. I think upsets are good for sports by the way, it would be boring if the favored team always won.

And everyone knew that the giants were going to suck in November due to their schedule. The only surprise was losing to the redskins.

What about the Vince Yong led Eagles?

They beat the 8 win Jets and the 8 win Cowboys in 2nd half of the year...they lost to the Vince Yong led Eagles and the Skins (two teams that were not NFL caliber teams).

It must really suck to be a fan of a team that has to choose between Rex Grossman and John Beck as their quarterback.

Welcome to single elimination sports. When you only have to beat someone once, it's not hard for the team that isn't neceassarily the best but the team that is playing their best at that time. Sometimes it's work for you and sometimes it works against you. I love the NCAA basketball tournament but it's not always about who the best team is. I think upsets are good for sports by the way, it would be boring if the favored team always won.

This is the case in all sports with playoffs/tournaments. Single-elimination or not, whoever is playing best at the end of the season wins the championship. You might get an upset in an early round of the playoffs (or NCAA tourny, for example), but to go all the way and win the championship means that you are the best team when it matters. The Giants closed out the season beating the Cowboys, Falcons, Packers, Niners, and Patriots. Hard to argue any of those were upsets.

This is the case in all sports with playoffs/tournaments. Single-elimination or not, whoever is playing best at the end of the season wins the championship. You might get an upset in an early round of the playoffs (or NCAA tourny, for example), but to go all the way and win the championship means that you are the best team when it matters. The Giants closed out the season beating the Cowboys, Falcons, Packers, Niners, and Patriots. Hard to argue any of those were upsets.

I think over a 7 games series, more often then not the best team wins as opposed to single elimination where you're more likely to have an upset EARLY. For the record, I prefer the single elimination method and I don't think the Giants are the "worst pro-championship pro sports team" in any lifetime. I agree 100% with your comment about being the best team "when it matters." Sports is often about peaking at the right time.

I think over a 7 games series, more often then not the best team wins as opposed to single elimination where you're more likely to have an upset EARLY. For the record, I prefer the single elimination method and I don't think the Giants are the "worst pro-championship pro sports team" in any lifetime. I agree 100% with your comment about being the best team "when it matters." Sports is often about peaking at the right time.

Agreed. I'd put it this way: With single-elimination there is always the chance that the best team during the season will have a bad game and be elimanated when they would have won 3 of 5. That is single-elimination. I was more responding to the ther post about the Giants being the worst championship team ever. That is just ridiculous, and not a result of the single-elimination. You still have to be pretty damn good to win the Super Bowl any year.

If 9 - 7 had not won the division and gotten into the playoffs like every single other year of the NFC East, would Tom Coughlin even have a job today? I doubt it.

It must really suck to be a fan of a team that has to choose between Rex Grossman and John Beck as their quarterback.

The skins are trading up for RGIII and signing Peyton according to the hammerheads who call in to DC sports radio.

If 9 - 7 had not won the division and gotten into the playoffs like every single other year of the NFC East, would Tom Coughlin even have a job today? I doubt it.

I dunno, seems like the ownership and Coughlin have a good relationship. Took a while to get the whole team healthy. I'm not sure how hot Coughlin's seat actually was...We'll never know now!

Back