• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Marching Deacs ( ? )

We talkin about the band? Not the game? But the band.

Yes, believe it or not, on a thread about the BAND, we are taking about the BAND. There are other threads to discuss the game. If the size and quality of the band don't concern you, then run along to another thread. Some of us DO care.

For 150 member band at a 6% return you would need $25 million but honestly if someone has that kind of cash to throw around then I’d much rather it go to an endowed NIL fund where all the players get nearly $20k per year

For a 150 member band at WF, we would probably have 25-30 from Salem, community colleges, etc., so you could drop the $$ amount some. 120 members, 100 of whom were WF students, would be fabulous.

Explain like I’m 5 – why is the reasoning that the admissions office won’t release the band background. Why isn’t it like any other activity. If you did theatre in high school, and you want to continue it at Wake, you’d go down to Scales or go online and see what shows will be auditioning. If you want to play intramurals, you just go do it. So if you had an interest in marching band, wouldn’t you just go try out? Why do they have to be recruited so hard, doesn’t that mean they’re not really inclined to join?

Welcome to the world of working with almost-adults. They have to be convinced that some activities are good for them, and that they should continue what they have already invested thousands of hours and dollars in. Do you think the athletic teams would be any good if the coaches just waited to see who shows up and wants to play?

ImperialMarchingBand1-18-2011-2.jpg

Welcome to the world of working with almost-adults. They have to be convinced that some activities are good for them, and that they should continue what they have already invested thousands of hours and dollars in. Do you think the athletic teams would be any good if the coaches just waited to see who shows up and wants to play?

As I’ve noted, to me the equivalent is more theatre than sports. But recruiting is clearly named as the reason here so obviously I’m mistaken.

As I’ve noted, to me the equivalent is more theatre than sports. But recruiting is clearly named as the reason here so obviously I’m mistaken.

When we had full access to incoming student info, the band was 120ish. Now that we have no info provided, the band is 75ish. You can't convince me that student info isn't important to the band's enrollment numbers.

I'd like to think some of this is also a mix of HS music depts and band programs being cut across the country more directly affecting a small school

but then I think about the average HS a Wake student is attending

When we had full access to incoming student info, the band was 120ish. Now that we have no info provided, the band is 75ish. You can't convince me that student info isn't important to the band's enrollment numbers.

I still don't understand the reason for the secrecy. This isn't HIPAA and health records being shared. Isn't it just whether a kid has a background in music? I'm lost as to what is being protected when you all work for the same employer.

Yes, believe it or not, on a thread about the BAND, we are taking about the BAND. There are other threads to discuss the game. If the size and quality of the band don't concern you, then run along to another thread. Some of us DO care.

The statement is a reference to Iverson’s famous practice rant. Google AI & “practice”…one of the greatest press conferences ever.:golfclap::golfclap:

We have this thread every year, and the answer is always the same. Things need to change at the administrative level for the band to ever be more than a (quiet) background track for socializing during halftime. Basketball getting good again will help, and I'm a bit surprised that the football team's success and bowl game travel hasn't helped more. Ultimately, the band is an afterthought for pretty much everyone in a position of power at Wake. There is no desire to make it even a minor priority, so there is no real way for them to improve enrollment.

Other schools have chosen to have a meaningful band program. They have fans who know that making the band successful is about having the right facilities and directors. They aren't content just sitting in the stands with their kids and their dogs while fifty kids stand on the field playing Don't Stop Believin' and Word Up. If our administration would hire up and coming coaches from mid major schools instead of guys in their 40s and 50s that have already peaked, maybe we would have a competitive marching band. But no. We've already decided that we are happy with mediocrity. So we get what we deserve. Look at Duke. They chose to make their band the most obnoxious band this side of UVA. And 40 years ago, they hired a basketball coach who became a Hall of Famer, making sure there was a steady draw of musicians that wanted to be in the band. Why didn't Wake hire a hall of fame coach 40 years ago? Obviously because Wake fans don't want a good band.
Is this DR?

I know we go through this every year, but that’s because it’s very in your face during the season. For all of the resources that Wake has, I cannot understand how we can’t kick some incentives to the band. Move in early, free room and board, preferred housing, etc. People may be more inclined to do it just to go into college with a set group of friends. Another idea- highlight the band. We seem to have done a great job of this with the cheerleaders and dance team. Their bios are all over social media, etc. and they have drastically improved since I went to Wake.

The “why aren’t they just going to the band themselves” argument is not even relevant. They’re clearly not. It reflects poorly on the school and game day atmosphere. Let’s fix it. Doesn’t seem like it would take much since our efforts now appear to be zero. Also, the longer we field this tiny group, the less cool it is and the less it entices other students. Have a big, fun group that the team (especially basketball) interacts with and plays off of and suddenly it’s a much cooler thing to belong to.

I know we go through this every year, but that’s because it’s very in your face during the season. For all of the resources that Wake has, I cannot understand how we can’t kick some incentives to the band. Move in early, free room and board, preferred housing, etc. People may be more inclined to do it just to go into college with a set group of friends. Another idea- highlight the band. We seem to have done a great job of this with the cheerleaders and dance team. Their bios are all over social media, etc. and they have drastically improved since I went to Wake.

The “why aren’t they just going to the band themselves” argument is not even relevant. They’re clearly not. It reflects poorly on the school and game day atmosphere. Let’s fix it. Doesn’t seem like it would take much since our efforts now appear to be zero. Also, the longer we field this tiny group, the less cool it is and the less it entices other students. Have a big, fun group that the team (especially basketball) interacts with and plays off of and suddenly it’s a much cooler thing to belong to.

Yep. I thought it was pretty cool to have pep band baseline seats at all of our ACCT and NCAAT games and the Elite 8.

Once again it was a function of Gentleman Carl and his good bball teams.

To change the situation with the BAND, WF has to change, and WF prefers no change from this tiny stage band which is asked to go out to be swallowed whole by a large football field.

swallowed whole by a large football field.

Or the visiting team's travel band.

I remember 15 or so years ago when Clemson's band performed at our halftime. That's embarrassing.

Will they still be introduced as SOTOGB the oldest band in NC? That hype diminishes as our numbers decline so badly.

I was asked by a member to join and I volunteered for that semester. Later signed up and got the 1 hr credit. Stayed on afterward until graduation. There was just one band with members for all - pep, concert, etc. Even played for the topping out ceremony of the new Winston tower downtown.
I agree with comments above and see no reason the incoming freshmen can't be contacted and asked if interested.

I noticed Ludwig drums this year, been playing Dynasty for some time. Does Wake/other schools reach out to negotiate deals or do the manufacturers reach out to sponsor?

So I will chime in here, at the risk of doxxing myself (and possibly getting in trouble in my office): I'm one of the people at the University that is probably most qualified to explain what's going on with regards to the information sharing/lack thereof.

Historically speaking, in the application review process, the Admissions Office would note artistic abilities. Play in the marching band? Noted. Take AP Art? Noted. Involved in community theatre outside of school? Noted. After the Admissions office enrolled the following year's class, they would be able to use the notes to run searches and create a list of names for particular interests/talents, which were sent to various appropriate departments on campus, including the Music Department for students who were either involved or expressed interest in being involved in music on their applications.

When COVID hit, the powers that be at the university feared that misinformation would run rampant, and so they streamlined communication with the enrolled class in May 2020: all information to incoming students was to come from Cherise James in ODOC/ODOS, so as to remove the possibility of rumors spreading about potential COVID restrictions for the Fall 2020 term. By default, then, individual departments were no longer contacted with the lists of students of interest. This policy was eventually deemed a success in terms of student enrollment retention and communication with families, and has been continued in subsequent years, and as a result the Admissions office has stopped sharing these lists entirely in order to prevent departments on campus from reaching out to students individually.

For a number of reasons, Music has been hit hardest by this change. Beyond needing to recruit for SOTOGAB (and that recruitment needs to happen over the summer so that incoming students can participate in SOTOGAB pre-orientation programming), Music generates revenue through private lesson fees with students to supplement salaries and other positions (accompanists, professional players for the ensembles as needed). Long story short, the Music Department is really hurting right now in terms of student involvement (even beyond SOTOGAB).

Now, where does that leave things? Basically since the summer of 2020, Music faculty have (rightly) been complaining about being handcuffed in terms of the relationship-building that they feel they need to do in order to sustain the Music numbers for all of the ensembles, not just SOTOGAB. Discussions have been had at administrative levels about going back to providing the list of names as requested by the various departments on campus (sadly, I'm not invited to most of those discussions, so I have no idea which way the wind is blowing on that decision-making). If you would like to reach out to your various influential friends in the Deacon Club or whatnot to try and press the importance of having a strong Music Department to help put pressure on administrators to change the current policy, I would happily encourage you to do so.

Last edited:
I noticed Ludwig drums this year, been playing Dynasty for some time. Does Wake/other schools reach out to negotiate deals or do the manufacturers reach out to sponsor?
Actually, they have been using Yamaha for the past 8 years. Dynasty left when the drumline coach who was a Dynasty-sponsored artist left.

So I will chime in here, at the risk of doxxing myself (and possibly getting in trouble in my office): I'm one of the people at the University that is probably most qualified to explain what's going on with regards to the information sharing/lack thereof.

Historically speaking, in the application review process, the Admissions Office would note artistic abilities. Play in the marching band? Noted. Take AP Art? Noted. Involved in community theatre outside of school? Noted. After the Admissions office enrolled the following year's class, they would be able to use the notes to run searches and create a list of names for particular interests/talents, which were sent to various appropriate departments on campus, including the Music Department for students who were either involved or expressed interest in being involved in music on their applications.

When COVID hit, the powers that be at the university feared that misinformation would run rampant, and so they streamlined communication with the enrolled class in May 2020: all information to incoming students was to come from Cherise James in ODOC/ODOS, so as to remove the possibility of rumors spreading about potential COVID restrictions for the Fall 2020 term. By default, then, individual departments were no longer contacted with the lists of students of interest. This policy was eventually deemed a success in terms of student enrollment retention and communication with families, and has been continued in subsequent years, and as a result the Admissions office has stopped sharing these lists entirely in order to prevent departments on campus from reaching out to students individually.

For a number of reasons, Music has been hit hardest by this change. Beyond needing to recruit for SOTOGAB (and that recruitment needs to happen over the summer so that incoming students can participate in SOTOGAB pre-orientation programming), Music generates revenue through private lesson fees with students to supplement salaries and other positions (accompanists, professional players for the ensembles as needed). Long story short, the Music Department is really hurting right now in terms of student involvement (even beyond SOTOGAB).

Now, where does that leave things? Basically since the summer of 2020, Music faculty have (rightly) been complaining about being handcuffed in terms of the relationship-building that they feel they need to do in order to sustain the Music numbers for all of the ensembles, not just SOTOGAB. Discussions have been had at administrative levels about going back to providing the list of names as requested by the various departments on campus (sadly, I'm not invited to most of those discussions, so I have no idea which way the wind is blowing on that decision-making). If you would like to reach out to your various influential friends in the Deacon Club or whatnot to try and press the importance of having a strong Music Department to help put pressure on administrators to change the current policy, I would happily encourage you to do so.
Pretty good explanation, but SOTOGAB and all the other music ensembles are going to be dead in the water if the powers that be don’t see the light soon. A couple more seasons of non-sharing the needed info, and ALL of the music ensembles are going to be history.

Back