• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Marching Deacs ( ? )

Pretty good explanation, but SOTOGAB and all the other music ensembles are going to be dead in the water if the powers that be don’t see the light soon. A couple more seasons of non-sharing the needed info, and ALL of the music ensembles are going to be history.

I don't disagree. My hope is that Wente makes good on her talk about valuing the arts and the appropriate change is made. I do know that Advancement is currently working on finding donors to help strengthen the arts scholarship pools, which will help to some extent medium-/long-term, so there is some impetus towards those goals... just need to convince the high level administration to allow the faculty to communicate with incoming students during the summer again. It really all does come down to that.

Are there a lot of goth chicks in the band ? Maybe we need more goth chicks at Wake.

Pretty good explanation, but SOTOGAB and all the other music ensembles are going to be dead in the water if the powers that be don’t see the light soon. A couple more seasons of non-sharing the needed info, and ALL of the music ensembles are going to be history.

I don't disagree. My hope is that Wente makes good on her talk about valuing the arts and the appropriate change is made. I do know that Advancement is currently working on finding donors to help strengthen the arts scholarship pools, which will help to some extent medium-/long-term, so there is some impetus towards those goals... just need to convince the high level administration to allow the faculty to communicate with incoming students during the summer again. It really all does come down to that.
Banddeac, did the admissions issue start in 2020? I thought it went back further than that, but Covid did a job on my memory.

Banddeac, did the admissions issue start in 2020? I thought it went back further than that, but Covid did a job on my memory.

Not Banddeac, but... this particular Admissions issue started in 2020. There may very well be other Admissions issues.

Actually, they have been using Yamaha for the past 8 years. Dynasty left when the drumline coach who was a Dynasty-sponsored artist left.
Thanks for the info, crazy I was still thinking Dynasty! So that's how the endorsements work based on who the instructor is sponsored by? Can't find any endorsement info for the new percussion instructor, Mr. Choat.

My memory is that the marching band size issue goes back further than 2020.

Need a Sokolove dive to get some history of the last 10 years on here.

My memory is that the marching band size issue goes back further than 2020.

Need a Sokolove dive to get some history of the last 10 years on here.
Size issue sure, but I was thinking the issues with the admissions office restricting incoming freshman data reached back into the late 00s.

Size issue sure, but I was thinking the issues with the admissions office restricting incoming freshman data reached back into the late 00s.

Unless there is a previous policy of which I am not aware, the full data restriction started in 2020. Prior to that, Admissions would share names with the Music Department faculty after students enrolled.

Currie has done so much in such a short time, sorta surprised he hasn’t done some work on the band.

No reason we shouldn’t have 150 piece band. If BC can do it so can we!
5400 undergrads to BC’s 9400 might make a difference.

Duke has a band - don't know how large it is this year. Saw briefly in my recording glance of one of their games. We could/should do better.

Based on this vid, not sure why anyone other than HBCU's have bands, and given the dancing ladies (bottom of the screen) moves, not sure why any football recruit plays in the Power V. F-ing perfection.

Last edited:
I was at the Clemson game. The band has gotten really small but I thought they sounded great. Seems the few kids who are there are really dedicated. AD needs to give them the support they need. Clemson's band was smaller than I expected. I'm assuming they didn't bring their full band.

I was at the Clemson game. The band has gotten really small but I thought they sounded great. Seems the few kids who are there are really dedicated. AD needs to give them the support they need. Clemson's band was smaller than I expected. I'm assuming they didn't bring their full band.
Not even close. That was their pep travel football band. Maybe 1/3 the size of the actual band.

Back