• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Masters (Opinion)

You gotta buy one of the chairs. They are pretty cheap. I love mine and use it a lot throughout the rest of the year.

The chairs we sell now are nothing in comparison to the ones we used to sell that were small and were "Bi-Fold". Now we got the chairs that are just like tailgate chairs without arms (Arms aren't allowed). Just put your business card in the back and sit it down on 16 is what I would do. Pretty sure the chairs we sell are still going for 25.

Nothing like watching the dash (walkfast not run) from the entry point to the gate to the course on Sunday morning. So many wipeouts!

Augusta is awesome. The Masters is the best fucking thing ever. I've been to a few practice rounds, but never the real tourney. Practice rounds are awesome because most of the players are really relaxed, joking with the fans, and generous with their time. At QH I prefer going on Thur-Fri and watching the rest on TV. Much less crowded, and you get to see a shitload of golfers. It's pretty fun to watch the less-capable (but still great) guys try to keep up with the pros. Good times. Live golf is WAY more fun than I would have ever imagined...on a nice day you can't beat it.

merchandise

Practice rounds has more merchandise too. A lot will be sold out by late saturday/sunday.

Walk around. Sitting at 18 does you nothing. Go see the golf course. I have been 4 times and television does not do the course justice at all.

The one time I went, I posted in the bleachers on 15 green after walking around for a couple hours following golfers I liked. Great view of both the 15th approaches and the 16th tee shots

That's exactly what I did last year on Sunday.

You might have trouble buying a chair, or anything else, on Sunday. The merch shop was pretty cleaned out on Sunday and they had a bunch of odd sizes, etc, but definintely no chairs left.

I usually go earlier in the week.

Didn't see these responses. This is what I have done in the past. If you get a spot in the top left of the grandstand to the right of the 15th green (from the golfer's perspective), you can see the incoming shot, the tee shot on 16, and the putts on 16.

I did the Sunday round in 2009 and put the chair down on 18. Problem was it ended in a playoff and it was won on the second hole of the playoff, #9. They replayed 18, then went to #9 so I didn't actually get to see it end but had a third row seat for the final groups coming through, including Tiger and Phil paired together.

It's nice to get there and get your chair down, then be able to walk the course and go to the driving range, have some $1 biscuits and coffee before it starts. We didn't get back to our chairs until about an hour before the final groups came in so we got to follow everyone around and still have a seat for the finish. It's totally worth it to be there and just get the chair down so you have a seat at the end.

No beer til noon on Sunday, but it's still ridiculously cheap.

Do people actually let someone "hold" a place by putting a chair down and not returning to it for hours? If that is the accepted custom in golf then I guess I can't argue with it, but I think it's bullshit. If you want your spot then you have to sit there. If I had been standing at a spot on 18 for hours waiting to see the final pairs come through I'd be damned if I'm gonna let someone get in front of me who hasn't been there at any point since I arrived.

I mean if it is an accepted practice, I'd imagine hundreds of people would have learned to do this by now, and would get there Sunday first thing and put down chairs and then wander off for hours. So are all the people who actually are physically at a hole going to stand behind several rows of chairs when it is clear nobody is sitting in them at that point?

read the thread. it has all your answers.

Lots of good advice. Augusta is about the golf course and the experience.

For example, if you remember Sandy Lyle's shot out of the bunker on 18 that won the tournament, you can't believe how difficult the shot is until you see how deep the bunker is.

There is something special about walking down the 10th fairway, home of many a great playoff (except for Deacon golfers) and then shooting over to watch the difficult second shot on 11.

12 is a tough hole to watch, since you can't walk to the green and the glare is tough.

13 is pure history. You don't realize how tough the drive is until you realize that you will be in the pine trees unless you hit the proper draw.

14 is simple and basic. Not even a sand trap burt a super tough green and hole placement on Sunday.

15 is a much tougher drive than you realize on tv. You must place it to the right edge of the fairway or it will hook to the left behind the trees.

16 is magical. Very tough when the pin is on the upper right on Thursday or Friday.

17 is a really tough drive but a hole that has yielded big birdies on Sundays (Jack anyone).

The other thing about 18 is that the drive is so difficult -long and narrow. The hole is a lot longer since Woosnam took it long over the bunkers on the left.

I am sure I confused a couple of things above, but I love the Masters.

I forgot about the no beer on Sunday till noon. I'm going Friday and Sunday now. I love the cheap beer. Pretty psyched.

Friday I'll walk around again (like I did last year). But Sunday, I'm going to place my chair and then walk around. I will come back to the 18th and sit there after 3pm (I think).

I really should go to the Masters one year because, as I was discussing with my Dad the other day, I just don't get the hype for the tournament. I'll watch and play golf every so often and I like pretty courses as much as anyone else. I just don't get why everyone goes gaga over Augusta though.

Can anyone try to explain it? My Dad pretty much acted like I'd denied that God existed when I asked him about it.

(I have been to tournaments before. In particular, I've been to the Heritage a bunch of times. I also admit to liking the US Open on TV much, much more than the Masters.)

Just be sure to try as many of the sandwiches as possible... Personal faves are Ham & Cheese on Rye, Pimento, and Egg Salad.

Also we always try to collect as many cups as possible.

will be there Sunday. have been 15+ times and don't even take a chair. grandstands are convenient and you can always fight your way up for a spot on 18 that you can see from if the last few groups are interesting.

Just be sure to try as many of the sandwiches as possible... Personal faves are Ham & Cheese on Rye, Pimento, and Egg Salad.

Also we always try to collect as many cups as possible.

YESSIR, $1.50 pimento sandwiches are the BEST. not to mention the $2.50 beers. I think I racked up 14 cups last year.

I really should go to the Masters one year because, as I was discussing with my Dad the other day, I just don't get the hype for the tournament. I'll watch and play golf every so often and I like pretty courses as much as anyone else. I just don't get why everyone goes gaga over Augusta though.

Can anyone try to explain it? My Dad pretty much acted like I'd denied that God existed when I asked him about it.

(I have been to tournaments before. In particular, I've been to the Heritage a bunch of times. I also admit to liking the US Open on TV much, much more than the Masters.)

The Masters is a tradition unlike any other. From the very moment you set foot onto Augusta National, you leave Georgia and enter this beautiful property that is hidden and not may have had the chance to see. TV does not do justice to just how gorgeous the course is.

To a lot of people, being at Augusta reminds them of a simpler time. There are no electronics allowed, the scoreboards are still oldschool and manual, the food is 1970s prices and people aren't pushing each other around (like other sporting events).

I have not been there many times, but the times I have been have been the best times I've ever had. I am looking forward to going again this year. Got my badges yesterday.

YESSIR, $1.50 pimento sandwiches are the BEST. not to mention the $2.50 beers. I think I racked up 14 cups last year.

The Masters is a tradition unlike any other. From the very moment you set foot onto Augusta National, you leave Georgia and enter this beautiful property that is hidden and not may have had the chance to see. TV does not do justice to just how gorgeous the course is.

To a lot of people, being at Augusta reminds them of a simpler time. There are no electronics allowed, the scoreboards are still oldschool and manual, the food is 1970s prices and people aren't pushing each other around (like other sporting events).

I have not been there many times, but the times I have been have been the best times I've ever had. I am looking forward to going again this year. Got my badges yesterday.

That faint sound you hear in the background is Jim Nantz pleasuring himself.

PBS recently ran an incredible documentary called Augusta's Master Plan. If you're a fan of the Masters you will love it. This history of the course, and the (older) course next door, Augusta Country Club, is fascinating.

Interesting fact: the nursery that became Augusta National was almost bought by a dude from Miami to be developed into a golf course, but a hurricane hit miami so he didn't go through with it. No hurricane = no Masters. Also, original plans called for the plantation house to be replaced by a fancy new clubhouse, but they were so broke for so long it never happened.

http://www.gpb.org/augustas-master-plan

Back