• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Masters (Opinion)

If you're a huge golfer, there are some places to you might want to go to watch the best golfers in the world tackle the hardest golf course. Second shot on #2, hitting into #3 green, hitting into #10 green, and approach shot on #15 all come to mind, but there's a lot of them out there.

You are kidding about the bolded part, right?

36 hours until entrance of a piece of heaven on earth. I will wear my traditional WF hat, and be walking around with a distinguished WFU graduate.

Hardest greens in the world. Tougher courses exist, no tougher greens than that at Augusta.

I may be playing there in June. I'll let you know how badly I do.

Plus, if you play you'll most likely be playing the members tees. I realize distance isn't really an issue for the pros, but it's another indication of just how good they are.

My parents got to play about six years ago. Probably one of my dad's favorite things to talk about.

I played in 1999 when there wasn't much difference between the members tees and the tournament tees. When I went back in 2010, it was like a different course. I am guessing that that lengthened it by 600 yards or so when they "Tiger proofed" it .

The greens are tough, but not too tough when it isn't Masters time. If you have played at Grandfather or Old Linville, then you will find them to be playable. I think 15 is the fastest green on the course. Sometimes the members like to get you to tee off without practice putting. Remember, the putting green is on the other side of the clubhouse from the driving range. After your first putt rolls past the hole and off the green, they like to say "Welcome to Augusta."

Is the course even open in June? I thought they closed for the summer in May????

I played in 1999 when there wasn't much difference between the members tees and the tournament tees. When I went back in 2010, it was like a different course. I am guessing that that lengthened it by 600 yards or so when they "Tiger proofed" it .

The greens are tough, but not too tough when it isn't Masters time. If you have played at Grandfather or Old Linville, then you will find them to be playable. I think 15 is the fastest green on the course. Sometimes the members like to get you to tee off without practice putting. Remember, the putting green is on the other side of the clubhouse from the driving range. After your first putt rolls past the hole and off the green, they like to say "Welcome to Augusta."

Is the course even open in June? I thought they closed for the summer in May????

I don't really know yet. I am looking forward to a round sometime this summer. The person who is arranging this for me told me 'not to get excited just yet'. YEA RITE. I should find out if I get to play relatively soon though.

I don't really know yet. I am looking forward to a round sometime this summer. The person who is arranging this for me told me 'not to get excited just yet'. YEA RITE. I should find out if I get to play relatively soon though.

Good deal. You are probably playing in May. I think they open back up in October, but not sure.

The best part is riding up in the car and giving them your name to get in....

Make sure you pick up plenty of scorecards and pencils that say Augusta National.

Good luck. It will exceed your expectations.

The course typically closes the Saturday before Memorial Day and reopens around October 15th. I played it w/StonevilleIceTea on May 19th of last year. Not really sure how any experience will overtake that one on my list.

Spent last week working @ the tournament for the 5th time...another awesome week in Augusta. Sunday afternoon was the best I've seen live yet..the hairs on my arm were standing on end with every roar there for about 3 hours.

WRT the toughest course comment

Name another course that the PGA plays on annually that commands more respect or makes more people throw up on their shoes.

Back