• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Masters

DirkTheDeac

Lord of the Board
Reaction score
I need some help. I have passes to the Thursday and Friday rounds. I've never been there and if you have suggestions about the experience and what we should do I am all ears.

This thread is destined for a high humblebrag-to-post ratio.

Someone gave me this advice for the first time I went to the Masters, and I thought it turned out to be great advice: One of the reasons you are going is to see the course, and while you are doing it you want to see as many different golfers as possible. The best way to do that is to first start at the 18th hole and walk the course backwards....back to the 1st hole. In that way, you will see the entire course as well as many different golfers along the way. After that, you will be better able to pick out spots where you would like to spend more time. I always liked the grandstand behind the 13th green...which is probably my favorite hole in all of golf. From that vantage point you can watch the approach to the 13th hole (and the stunning array of azeleas), the play around that green, and the tee shot for the 14th hole. Personally, I also like to spend some time around the 5th green. It is one of the furtherest points from the clubhouse and doesn't have as many people to block views as holes closer to the finish. You can watch the play around the tough 5th hole, then walk over to see the tee shots from the elevated 6th tee down to the 6th green.....and also see the 16th hole, far below you to the right of the 6th tee. Many people like to watch from the 11th green/12th tee area, but for some reason I've never really spent much time there.

Just a couple of personal thoughts. Help they help a little. I only know one thing for sure.....you're going to have a wonderful time!

I take the opposite approach. Walk from 1 to 18. Follow a golfer early and stop at the particular points you find to watch others play through. Pick up another golfer and follow until you reach the next stopping point.

Thursday and Friday are the best days! It starts getting more crowded on Saturday and the best stuff that you may want to purchase are sold out by then. If you want to buy stuff, get it early and take it back to your car. Good advice above about enjoying the course and not trying to follow specific golfers. 15 green is another good viewing spot. The local people claim 16 as their hole. Plenty of socializing there. I also like to stand near 13 fairway and watch shots into green there. You will want to see what 17 looks like in person now that Eisenhower tree is gone.

2 green is another good spot. Lots of birdies made there at a hole that does not get much play on tv. Don't feel like you have to do everything. Just soak in the experience. Everyone will tell you that you will be surprised by how hilly the course is and it will still surprise you. The only food I do not like is the barbecue.

Going on Sunday this year. Will be my first experience. Would love to hear any other advice and stories. I am amped up.

I think what we did worked out pretty well the first time I went (last year did almost the same, but were a little more random in walking the course). Got there early and went to the merchandise shop. Checked our loot so we didn't have to go back out to the car and like everything at Augusta, it was incredibly efficiently run and no problem getting it at the end of the day. We then put chairs down at the 18th green. No one will mess with them - it's an unwritten rule (or hell, it may be written) that your chairs will be right where you left them and no one will be sitting in them. From there, did what Demonbeck suggested - walked the course from 1 to 18, following whatever pair happened to be teeing off at the time. Then went back and spent some time in the grandstands at Amen corner and between the 15th and 16th. Followed maybe the 5th to last pair back to 18 and then sat in our chairs to see the last groups come in. It was Sunday both years and we knew that it was close and could go to a playoff. My friend picked up our chairs and took them down to the 10th green when the maybe 3rd to last pair was on 18 and we stood at 18 until it actually ended tied. We took our chances and walked down to our chairs (on the first row two years ago and third row last year) at 10 to see if it was going to go to a second playoff hole (our vantage point at 18 was not nearly as good, so it was worth the risk). Lo and behold, both Bubba and Adam Scott won on the second playoff hole. Amazing days. You can't do it wrong there.

We're looking at accommodations. Everything in Augusta is around $400 a night. I'm told a lot of people stay near Columbia and make the hour drive. Any suggestions?

Whatever you do wear a hat and put the sunscreen on!

I like to stand at the ropes on the right-hand side of 17 in the shade of the Eisenhower tree.

Nice trim job by the storm... looks like they will rename it the George W Bush.

Dirk & Wranger -

I went for the first time last year and several folks here gave me great advice on everything A to Z on Augusta.

I could talk for hours but I'll try to be brief....

Dirk - We stayed in Columbia at a motel near the airport ( very reasonable and clean - couple choices there ) and rented a car from Sun nite and left Wed morning....had tix for M&T practice rounds. No traffic going or returning....about a 50 min highway ride each way....HIGHLY recommended !

1) Upon arrival at the course ( 8-8:30am ) go directly to the big merchandise building and do all your shopping. You can 'check' your bag of goodies for FREE and pick them up on your way out ( 7-7:30pm ).

2) Parking is FREE and right next to Augusta ( very short walk ).

3) The food is amazingly good and simple. Do have a light breakfast ( next to the big merchandise bldg. ) before heading out onto the course. DEFINATELY go for either the pimento or egg salad sandwiches...and the ice cream is tops too !

4) The course is much more hilly than TV shows....good sneaks or golf shoes !

5) DEFINATELY go get your pic taken in front of the clubhouse on Magnolia Lane....yes IT'S FREE !

6) Go walk/see the whole course first day and then either follow your fav guy(s) and/or plant yourself at places like 15th green, hill at 16th, 17th green or 18th tee....plenty of good spots beyond those.

7) Practice tee area is also good for an hour or so depending on player tee times.

Prepare for a trip to the Mecca of Golf....or at the least, a first trip to Disneyworld of Golf ! Place is stupendously gorgeous and the people/help are as friendly and helpful as can be. HAVE FUN !!!!

Last edited:
Have drinks at the partidge inn and get yourself an invite to the wake party

BTW it is much more hilly than you think. So always try to walk downhill.

I'm in a bit of a quandary over what shoes to wear. Of course I'll look smart in my neatly pressed khaki shorts and a golf shirt or polo shirt. But I just can't nail down what shoes to wear. I've got a pair of old loafers that will work, but I'm not sure they'll be comfortable enough for trekking the course a couple of times. My Sperry Topsiders have seen better days. I could wear my Keen Newport 2's but i just don't like the look of them on the golf course. I've got a pair of Nike Free 3.0's that I would wear, but they're black and I don't like the look of them with a pastel shirt.

Need advice. Thanks in advance. BTW, this is for Saturday if that matters.

I think you're overthinking. Unless you're going to a party, wear sneakers.

The grandstand at 15 if you can get the top row is great because you can see 15 green and the tee shots at 16. Two of the best shots on the course.

My best advice though: Try the peach ice cream sandwich. It's amazing peach ice cream between two amazing sugar cookies... the lore will grow as this is a pretty new addition to the menu.

Back