• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Masters

You ALWAYS WEAR GOLF SHOES to any tournament. That way everyone in the gallery knows you are a player.

You ALWAYS WEAR GOLF SHOES to any tournament. That way everyone in the gallery knows you are a player.

Yeah, I've noticed that some members of the gallery choose to wear golf shoes, which begs the question: soft spikes or metal spikes?

Great question. Most people don't have steel spikes anymore, but if you did it would really help demonstrate to your fellow fans when a player hits an errant shot. But I am guessing the National doesn't allow them in the gallery. Such a double standard.

Oh, hey. I wonder if I'm going to find my chair that Nonny left last year :rulz:

Thing is, if I'm wearing golf shoes to a tournament, it's so I can jump in and play if a golfer gets hurt. I'm fine playing out of his bag, but I've got to have my own shoes. And if I'm playing in a major, I'm wearing metal spikes dammit.

Wear golf shoes, cargo shorts, black socks and an untucked golf shirt (preferably with a mustard stain). Also make sure your legs haven't seen sunlight since the carter administration. I prefer hats that advertise a club that hasn't been manufactured in 5 years. Also talk loudly about how you feathered a 5 wood 265 and tapped in for a smooth 97.

Wear golf shoes, cargo shorts, black socks and an untucked golf shirt (preferably with a mustard stain). Also make sure your legs haven't seen sunlight since the carter administration. I prefer hats that advertise a club that hasn't been manufactured in 5 years. Also talk loudly about how you feathered a 5 wood 265 and tapped in for a smooth 97.

Cargo shorts are a given if you're not going to use a fanny pack, as Augusta National will not let my wife carry a purse larger than a lipstick case. So I'll need the cargo shorts for the rain gear, binoculars, breath mints, extra souvenir pairing sheets, swag purchased, and sunglasses case.

We are staying at the Masters Inn on Washington. $200/night. I'm bringing a flame thrower and bed condom in preparation. When something is too good to be true it usually is.

Cargo shorts are a given if you're not going to use a fanny pack, as Augusta National will not let my wife carry a purse larger than a lipstick case. So I'll need the cargo shorts for the rain gear, binoculars, breath mints, extra souvenir pairing sheets, swag purchased, and sunglasses case.

Good point. You really want to load those pockets up. That's why I always get a xxxxxxl shirt so when the 30 pounds of stuff in my pockets pulls my pants down my shirt covers my belly. Plus it's an outdoor sport so fuck deodorant. You're out in nature who needs that fresh smelling shit. I'm looking into some golf sandalstoo.

If that dude is a model I'm not sure what to think.

Agree you should walk the whole course if possible, although you don't need to start on 18 and go backwards until the first group gets there around noon.
On Thursday, arrive early to see the Honorary Starters tee off. Palmer, Player and Nicklaus......a rare chance to see them together.
Someone mentioned to buy stuff early before they sell out. Don't think that will be a problem this year. Since there is only 1 week a year that National can sell merchandise, they have added some major warehousing space and will be bringing in additional truckloads of inventory. The 'tent' where the sell stuff is amazing....unbelievable selection and very efficient.
Shorts are fine, unless you're going into the clubhouse. Wear any shoes that will be comfortable for a 10 mile hike.
If you can, walk over to the Par 3 course, down behind the cabins. No one will be playing from Thursday on, but it's definitely worth seeing and walking if possible. (It's very short, has lots of water and is challenging)
Even the rest rooms are very nice, clean, well managed. Some people have been 'managing' the same restroom for years and get to know long-time patrons.
Remember......no phones, no running, no laying down.
Be a sponge.....soak in everything you can.....have a great time.

Also, stop by the bar on the 2nd floor of the Partridge Inn, if you can get in.
You may notice that the city of Augusta is still cleaning up from the ice storm in February. (the same storm that took down the Eisenhower tree). The city was a disaster area and crews from all over the southeast have been working for almost 2 months to get things ready for next week.

I was last there in 2010 and the merchandise tents were picked clean on Sunday morning.

Agree you should walk the whole course if possible, although you don't need to start on 18 and go backwards until the first group gets there around noon.
On Thursday, arrive early to see the Honorary Starters tee off. Palmer, Player and Nicklaus......a rare chance to see them together.
Someone mentioned to buy stuff early before they sell out. Don't think that will be a problem this year. Since there is only 1 week a year that National can sell merchandise, they have added some major warehousing space and will be bringing in additional truckloads of inventory. The 'tent' where the sell stuff is amazing....unbelievable selection and very efficient.
Shorts are fine, unless you're going into the clubhouse. Wear any shoes that will be comfortable for a 10 mile hike.
If you can, walk over to the Par 3 course, down behind the cabins. No one will be playing from Thursday on, but it's definitely worth seeing and walking if possible. (It's very short, has lots of water and is challenging)
Even the rest rooms are very nice, clean, well managed. Some people have been 'managing' the same restroom for years and get to know long-time patrons.
Remember......no phones, no running, no laying down.
Be a sponge.....soak in everything you can.....have a great time.

Also, stop by the bar on the 2nd floor of the Partridge Inn, if you can get in.
You may notice that the city of Augusta is still cleaning up from the ice storm in February. (the same storm that took down the Eisenhower tree). The city was a disaster area and crews from all over the southeast have been working for almost 2 months to get things ready for next week.

This is very comprehensive--the only thing I would add is after you buy yourself a pimento sandwich (and you should) feel free to throw your trash on the ground. They have all these people they have paid to pick the stuff up so they really appreciate that.

I was last there in 2010 and the merchandise tents were picked clean on Sunday morning.

Zero percent chance you'll see this again. Prior to 2013 we'd start to let the shop dwindle on Sunday, but as of now we're stocking it through the end of play on Sunday just as we would on Monday morning. Of course styles may be missing by Sunday, but the rounders will definitely be full of product. Speaking of, I'd better hit the sack to be on site by 6:30am. Hoping against hope that this storm cell takes a northern path in the next few hours.

Thing is, if I'm wearing golf shoes to a tournament, it's so I can jump in and play if a golfer gets hurt. I'm fine playing out of his bag, but I've got to have my own shoes. And if I'm playing in a major, I'm wearing metal spikes dammit.

Even if it is Mickelson or Bubba?

Back