• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Muppets on ABC

timdunkandthefunk

Rusty Larue
Reaction score
Anyone else watch? I've always been a big Jim Henson fan so I was excited and for the most part enjoyed it. Some of the voices are almost unrecognizable from the originals but I disagree with most of the critics that say it is too mean-spirited. Only thing that didn't work at all for me was the Fozzy Bear B plot.

I watched even though I've not really seen much (if any) of the old Muppet shows or movies (not sure why...just never did when growing up...although I used to watch Muppet Babies!).

I thought it was pretty good and will keep watching. We got a big chuckle out of Fozzie's line about having his online dating profile say he's a cuddly bear and getting the wrong results.

I haven't watched it yet, but my initial reaction to what I've heard is that I'm disappointed that my daughter won't be able to watch it with me. One of the best things about the Muppets has always been their ability to entertain children while keeping plenty of humor in there for adults as well. I get the impression that they have bypassed children all together this time, and gone straight to the adult audience.

I haven't watched it yet, but my initial reaction to what I've heard is that I'm disappointed that my daughter won't be able to watch it with me. One of the best things about the Muppets has always been their ability to entertain children while keeping plenty of humor in there for adults as well. I get the impression that they have bypassed children all together this time, and gone straight to the adult audience.

what does this mean?

is there a scene where kermit porks ms piggy right beneath her curly tail?

It's definitely very adult. It may be, depending on the age, that a lot of the adult stuff goes over a kid's head?

I was trying to find some direct quotes. But this is from a Daily Beast review.

This is a world where Fozzie knows what Grindr is. Where Kermit’s new girlfriend makes sexual innuendos. Where Zoot is an alcoholic and there are jokes about Miss Piggy’s pubic hair. Wocka wocka!

Didn't catch it last night, so I'll have to grab it on demand.

If I can't watch it with my kids, it's a fail. Fuck those guys if that's the case. I watched the muppets with my Dad. It was one of our few rituals outside of sports, as he was 45 when I was born and already older/old by the time I was 10. Our senses of humor rarely lined up but the muppets was an exception. He loved the muppets and really loved Statler and Waldorf.

Last edited:
To quote my 10 year old son after we watch the Muppets last night "Well, that was a bunch of crap."

It was the pilot episode for a comedy. Hopefully they'll learn and make improvements. After watching the episode, I don't think it's necessary to have the adult nature of it. They could just do the same as the original show except around a talk show instead of a variety show.

I heard production on it was rushed and the quality of this ep may have been effected. The show runner is the same guy from Big Bang Theory. The original pilot for that ended up very different than the show and that show has changed in tone over the years as well. I hope to see the same with The Muppets.

That episode sucked. Literally had like 1 funny moment -- Animal muttering about "too many women, too many towns."

Hopefully it will get better, and I acknowledge it was only a pilot, but it is troubling that the very tone and premise of the show seems to be way off. It wasn't something kids would want to watch, but also wasn't particularly funny for an adult viewer. Who is this show for?

You have to admit, the musical numbers were great.

That episode sucked. Literally had like 1 funny moment -- Animal muttering about "too many women, too many towns."

Hopefully it will get better, and I acknowledge it was only a pilot, but it is troubling that the very tone and premise of the show seems to be way off. It wasn't something kids would want to watch, but also wasn't particularly funny for an adult viewer. Who is this show for?

I liked Kermit's line "Ok, talk to God about lilacs....."

It was different. Not at all what I expected. That said, I love the Muppets and really enjoyed it.

However, I would much rather see a return to the old Muppet Show.

Watched it last night. I'm out. I'll watch Larry Sanders reruns if I'm looking for talk show satire, Muppets reruns if I'm looking for Muppets.

Back