• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Myth Behind Public School Failure

In the age of air conditioning, schools could be open all year. Without AC, not so much. Not sure what percentage of schools have AC nowadays...

My wife grew up in a farming community, and school was out the month of October so kids could help harvest.

sailor, cite a source for your facts.

I thought the models I had seen for year round education included a larger "summer break" of 4-6 weeks and a longer "winter break" as well.

You could still have camps.

The models I like would have 4 main breaks in each season lasting 2-4 weeks depending on the model. It makes a ton of sense.

2072.jpg

Imagine how much time wasted on testing and teaching to the test could be spent on different types of writing.

I encourage all to read this story.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/03/23/kindergarten-teacher-my-job-is-now-about-tests-and-data-not-children-i-quit/

TL;DR: Kindergarten teacher lists all the dozens of mandates requiring her to constantly assess and test her kindergarten students instead of actually teaching them, all of which directly conflicts with all credible research on how 4, 5, and 6 year olds learn best. These paragraphs are a pretty good summary:
All the above-mentioned initiatives and mandates have had the obvious effect of removing teachers from their classrooms for significant amounts of time and fracturing their concentration and ability to teach. There were many days last year when I felt I had hardly spent any time in the classroom. It was my assistant teacher with whom the children were more familiar. She was more in the role of classroom teacher. I was more in the role of data collector.
The negative impact of all of this on a classroom of young children (or children of any age) is substantial, and obvious to many classroom teachers. Teachers everywhere are seeing an increase in behavior problems that make classrooms and schools feel less safe, and learning less able to take place. Children are screaming out for help. They are under too much pressure and it is just no longer possible to meet the social and emotional needs of our youngest children. They are suffering because of this.

I encourage all to read this story.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/03/23/kindergarten-teacher-my-job-is-now-about-tests-and-data-not-children-i-quit/

TL;DR: Kindergarten teacher lists all the dozens of mandates requiring her to constantly assess and test her kindergarten students instead of actually teaching them, all of which directly conflicts with all credible research on how 4, 5, and 6 year olds learn best. These paragraphs are a pretty good summary:

ACCOUNTABILITY------>MORE FAILURE-------->MORE ACCOUNTABILITY!!!!!

The GOP plan to kill public schools and funnel more money to private organizations.

From many years ago, Milton Friedman's opinion still rings true today, and afterward he defends his position against the teacher establishment of the time. Very interesting all the way around.

One moar time.

Last edited:
Back