• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Myth Behind Public School Failure

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
http://www.nationofchange.org/myth-behind-public-school-failure-1393173355

copy3_of_infographic_sandiav6.jpg

The education problem is, at its core, a parenting problem. By and large, students with parents who value education and are invested in their success will succeed. Students with parents who are disengaged will typically struggle.

The education problem is, at its core, a parenting problem. By and large, students with parents who value education and are invested in their success will succeed. Students with parents who are disengaged will typically struggle.

Yes, and as income drops, freedom and ability to parent drops as well.

America's education problem is primarily a poverty problem. I think most people who work in education would tell you that immediately.

I think someone on another thread (923 maybe?) posted stats showing that if you only count kids/schools that are not impoverished, America's scores exceed most of the world and are on par with the other super powers.

So, yeah...poor, hungry kids don't learn so good.

DeacLaw, do you agree that it has gotten more and more difficult for parents to provide food and shelter for their children? If it requires more and more time and effort to handle the basics of parenting, that leaves less time and effort to be involved in education.

Oh man, not this again. Paging DeaconCav.

From many years ago, Milton Friedman's opinion still rings true today, and afterward he defends his position against the teacher establishment of the time. Very interesting all the way around.

Yes, and as income drops, freedom and ability to parent drops as well.

How so? Most people I know with "high" incomes work 60-80 hours per week, and usually both spouses work. That is much less time at home to parent than someone on 8-hour shifts.

How so? Most people I know with "high" incomes work 60-80 hours per week, and usually both spouses work. That is much less time at home to parent than someone on 8-hour shifts.

they also have money to hire quality caregivers, pay for out of school sports, art, and tutoring, have their own cars as opposed to relying on public transportation, and in many cases have professional jobs where flexibility to parent is allowed as opposed to line jobs where absences to do parenting work are not allowed. It's a lot more complicated than comparing time worked.

they also have money to hire quality caregivers, pay for out of school sports, art, and tutoring, have their own cars as opposed to relying on public transportation, and in many cases have professional jobs where flexibility to parent is allowed as opposed to line jobs where absences to do parenting work are not allowed. It's a lot more complicated than comparing time worked.

I didn't say kids with more resources aren't advantaged in many ways, I was specifically addressing his point that "Yes, and as income drops, freedom and ability to parent drops as well." Say the kid has no sports, art, tutoring, or car. If the parent is working 8 hours a day, that means that the kid is home with the parent the rest of the time. So that time is direct parent-child, which I think most people would argue is more "parenting" than a caregiver, or coach, or art teacher, or tutor can provide. So then the issue squarely becomes good parenting versus bad parenting. So if the kid still fails, then it is directly on that parent, correct? No way to deflect blame on on that nanny, coach, art teacher, or tutor.

I didn't say kids with more resources aren't advantaged in many ways, I was specifically addressing his point that "Yes, and as income drops, freedom and ability to parent drops as well." Say the kid has no sports, art, tutoring, or car. If the parent is working 8 hours a day, that means that the kid is home with the parent the rest of the time. So that time is direct parent-child, which I think most people would argue is more "parenting" than a caregiver, or coach, or art teacher, or tutor can provide. So then the issue squarely becomes good parenting versus bad parenting. So if the kid still fails, then it is directly on that parent, correct? No way to deflect blame on on that nanny, coach, art teacher, or tutor.

You're right. We should ignore the money part of the equation and just blame it on the poor parenting of poor people. that way we don't have to spend any money to help those sorry sacks of shit.

You're right. We should ignore the money part of the equation and just blame it on the poor parenting of poor people. that way we don't have to spend any money to help those sorry sacks of shit.

Or, we can bend over backwards to excuse bad parenting and just keep throwing taxpayer money at a problem that is not improving. Because, after all, that means we don't have to hurt anyone's feelings or confront them with the reality that they are doing a bad job, as they are simply the victim of bad crcumstance. Which is really the ultimate goal in today's society.

Or, we can bend over backwards to excuse bad parenting and just keep throwing taxpayer money at a problem that is not improving. Because, after all, that means we don't have to hurt anyone's feelings or confront them with the reality that they are doing a bad job, as they are simply the victim of bad crcumstance. Which is really the ultimate goal in today's society.

what's your solution

2&2 seems to be making a lot it assumptions about when a parent is working 8 hours.

Back