• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Myth Behind Public School Failure

I think the reason our schools aren't performing well is because upper, middle, and lower class kids don't give a shit, and their parents don't do enough to make them give a shit.

And the way to make the kids give a shit is to fine their parents $50 when they skip class? Is there an epidemic of "the vast majority in the middle" missing class? I'm really confused about your platform here.

I think someone on another thread (923 maybe?) posted stats showing that if you only count kids/schools that are not impoverished, America's scores exceed most of the world and are on par with the other super powers.
That was the major criticism of the report in the original OP's and stated many times since so.....it is pretty lame pretending this is some new revelation and blaming it on Reagan.

Politically, the left wanted public schools to have issues because they wanted more money and more programs and more of everything....which is basically what they got. The right wanted it to have failed because they wanted less government control and privatization.

I think the reason our schools aren't performing well is because upper, middle, and lower class kids don't give a shit, and their parents don't do enough to make them give a shit.

Keep in mind the premise of the thread. We are talking about poverty issues.

Keep in mind the premise of the thread. We are talking about poverty issues.

Are we though? That may have been the intent prompting the change decades ago as addressed in the article, but as a result the entire system was affected to where the whole thing sucks.

2&2, do you have stats to back up your claim about middle-class students skipping class and how that leads to lower performance in our education system and how fining parents $50 for missed attendance is the solution? I'm really interested in learning more about your plan.

Are we though? That may have been the intent prompting the change decades ago as addressed in the article, but as a result the entire system was affected to where the whole thing sucks.

See newer data that shows the US stacks up well on international tests except for lower income students.

So schools are good then? Okay, nothing to see here, let's get back to Bzz.

No schools are not good.

I fundamentally disagree that "the reason our schools aren't performing well is because upper, middle, and lower class kids don't give a shit, and their parents don't do enough to make them give a shit."

2&2, do you have stats to back up your claim about middle-class students skipping class and how that leads to lower performance in our education system and how fining parents $50 for missed attendance is the solution? I'm really interested in learning more about your plan.

Skipping class was one of several examples. Skipping class, having disciplinary action taken for acting up in class, bullying, talking back to teachers, not completing homework assignments, getting in fights, dropping out of school. Whatever you're not supposed to do in school, if the kid does it then fine the parent. Sit there, pay attention, and go home.

No schools are not good.

I fundamentally disagree that "the reason our schools aren't performing well is because upper, middle, and lower class kids don't give a shit, and their parents don't do enough to make them give a shit."

Okay, then we have a fundamental disagreement.

See newer data that shows the US stacks up well on international tests except for lower income students.

Okay, so we don't need to do anything about our educational system except with respect to lower income students?

Skipping class was one of several examples. Skipping class, having disciplinary action taken for acting up in class, bullying, talking back to teachers, not completing homework assignments, getting in fights, dropping out of school. Whatever you're not supposed to do in school, if the kid does it then fine the parent. Sit there, pay attention, and go home.

And so the responsibility for deciding whether parents are taxed extra falls on their teachers? You send a kid to detention and her parents are fined $50? Seems like a solid plan.

And so the responsibility for deciding whether parents are taxed extra falls on their teachers? You send a kid to detention and her parents are fined $50? Seems like a solid plan.

It has worked for private schools for years. Your kid is a pain in the ass - you pay more money. Simple as that. Suddenly, those kids aren't as big of a pain in the ass anymore.

In the age of "my child is perfect and does nothing wrong," teachers already fear repercussions from appropriately disciplining a child. You're going to have severe issues if you throw money into the mix.

Back