• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Nation saw how Duke wins Games

Let's just replay the game using NBA refs and see what happens to dook playing 5 on 5 this time. :thumbsup:

I don't know why they didn't re-run that one replay for the refs to review. Was saying that at the time. They showed the one replay that made it look like Winslow clearly touched the ball and never ran it again.

Someone really screwed up -- I'm guessing someone at CBS who didn't run that replay for the refs. That said I don't think it was some conspiracy, especially since giving the ball to Wisconsin would've helped guarantee a closer finish and probably even stronger ratings. Maybe should have a replay booth a la the NFL during the tourney or something.

All the technology around the Final Four is why we saw Winslow was out on that one play, usually you wouldn't have a camera attached to the basket looking down. And he was barely out. Calls like that are gonna happen

Last edited:
One of the problems with using replay only to look at selective issues is what to do with other mistakes that are found at the same time. What do the refs do when player from team A and player from team B both go after the ball, knock it out of bounds, and the refs go to the replay to see who touched it last. In so doing, they find that player A touched the ball last, but, player B committed a foul while hitting player A's arm which caused player A be the last one to contact the ball before it went out of bounds. What is the call? There will be a tendency to "make things right" by awarding the ball to team A, even if the replay shows otherwise. This is the makeup for what should have been possession or free throws for player A.

Replay needs to be changed so that if an uncalled common foul influences the possession of the ball, it can be called from replay. I'm not saying to add more reviews, just that if the situation warrants a review, any uncalled fouls that influences the issue being ajudicated by replay are fair game to be called as part of the replay review.

I don't know why they didn't re-run that one replay for the refs to review. Was saying that at the time. They showed the one replay that made it look like Winslow clearly touched the ball and never ran it again.

Someone really screwed up -- I'm guessing someone at CBS who didn't run that replay for the refs. That said I don't think it was some conspiracy, especially since giving the ball to Wisconsin would've helped guarantee a closer finish and probably even stronger ratings. Maybe should have a replay booth a la the NFL during the tourney or something.

All the technology around the Final Four is why we saw Winslow was out on that one play, usually you wouldn't have a camera attached to the basket looking down. And he was barely out. Calls like that are gonna happen

What you guys don't realize is that it is not CBS who is responsible for any of the replays used in college basketball. There is a contract running thru 2019 I believe with a company called DV Sports who does all the replays. They are entirely different that the views used for the networks. For instance in the regular season at our place and other ACC venues, there might be 4-7 camera angles set up. The officials meet with the replay people before the game to see who is "in the truck", who they will be talking to and what angles they have for that night. They also talk of course to the scorer, timer & shot clock operator 45 -60 minutes before the game.

For the NCAA tourney there was 18 cameras used for replays so far more than the probable TV cameras in play. DV Sports also worked with Precision Timing who handled the timing packs & the clocks that we are accustomed to seeing in ACC games but not in all college venues.

In this particular last minute play in the Duke game, they had viewed 9 replays and had not seen any that involved Winslow tipping the ball. Normally the talking heads like Bilas or Gottfried are screaming that replays take far too long. In this instance they did not wait long enough I guess because the one they need to see was shown after they were already in position to put the ball back in play. Could have been a huge factor in the game. Might not have been as Wisconsin could have missed a shot or truned the ball over & Duke might have hit a 3 later. We will never know.

But that is who does replay for all of college basketball--men & women--for all games in the regualr season and NCAA tourney.
4-7 cameras for regular season depending by conference & contract and 18 this year for the NCAA tourney.

Normally the talking heads like Bilas or Gottfried are screaming that replays take far too long. In this instance they did not wait long enough I guess because the one they need to see was shown after they were already in position to put the ball back in play.

Nice try Reff, but this is not how it went down. The replay was shown BEFORE the refs made their decision. Might've even been before they went to the monitor, can't remember.

However it was only shown once which was questionable since it proved to be the one definitive angle

Back