• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Night Of on HBO

Never seen something where the innocent guy getting free was less satisfying than if he had been found guilty. I guess that was the point but damn, not an enjoyable watch after the first couple episodes

This show sucked

Ooooooo trial is almost over lemme check the victim's cell phone records!

Never seen something where the innocent guy getting free was less satisfying than if he had been found guilty. I guess that was the point but damn, not an enjoyable watch after the first couple episodes

I'm not sure that we know if he is innocent. Hung jury isn't the same as a not guilty.

We know he is innocent. Anyone who pays cash to go through a toll when they have an ez-pass is guilty.

Agree that the show lagged in the middle episodes, but I thought the last episode was strong.

Stone's closing statement was perfect. Hung jury was the way it had to go. The prosecutor knew Naz should not be convicted.

This show sucked

Ooooooo trial is almost over lemme check the victim's cell phone records!
And I know this has been mentioned multiple times but I think it's the lack of alignment from a time perspective between what was happening in jail and outside.

Inside, he becomes a completely different person, gets 3 or 4 tattoos, builds a potential drug addiction, etc. That kind of transformation seem like it would take quite a while to develop.

Outside, everything seems very rushed. The investigation (facebook, phone calls, etc.), the defense's case, the witnesses, everything. And I HATE that they so cheaply set up for a potential sequel where they dig into that guy. Really hope HBO doesn't waste prime programming on that.

They are thinking about doing a second season, but on an totally new subject/new characters.

I actually thought given where they were, they did a decent job of wrapping things up. This was probably the best ep since the first one. Lawfeet's closing was the only 5minutes of real lawyering the kid received.

The horrendous court procedural stuff aside, which has plagued the entire show, I think the show's biggest failing is not developing any of the characters except for lawfeet and Omar. Nas is at the center of the show and he barely speaks. And I cant wait to see the medium.com thinkpieces complaining about what a horrible female character the lawyer is. She was just a horrible, incompetent attorney and person in every respect, and we really dont get any explanation for it other than she just broke up with her boyfriend.

Also who knew that the stoner from Road Trip would grow up to be a financial adviser who gambles and beats hookers on the wknds?

BTW, few things that some thought were farfetched on this thread, but really are not:

- Incompetent investigation (particularly when there is apparently strong evidence linking the first person arrested to the crime; most people are incredibly lazy; so, if there is an easy answer they are not going to try unwind it)
- Incompetent defense counsel (indigent and poor people aren't represented by big firms with unlimited resources; they get represented by attorneys who take the case for little or no money; the attorneys don't prepare; don't investigate; don't know how to cross examine; don't care; happens all of the time; attend a random trial in your local courthouse, and you will see examinations far more incompetent than those depicted in the show)
- Lawyer hooking up with a client (don't understand why anyone is disbelieving of this; people make idiotic decisions all of the time, not a stretch at all that to happen; btw, that was effectively looped in the last episode)

My question is whether Richard Price wrote a turd script or if this missed something in production

The DA was gross

The actress that played Naz's mom is only 10 yes older than Riz

Really enjoyed this show and agree with pilchard's points. I'm shocked that most of y'all are shocked that there are incompetent police and lawyers out there.
The big take away imo, is that nas' life is now completely changed despite the fact he was not convicted. Can he go back to college, prob not because his family is completely broke now. Can he get a job? Maybe but not the kind he was in line for before this happened. Is he going to be a junkie? Sure looks like it. Will he meet a nice Muslim girl and raise a family? Seems doubtful. Just a sad outlook for him despite the "happy" ending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, few things that some thought were farfetched on this thread, but really are not:

- Incompetent investigation (particularly when there is apparently strong evidence linking the first person arrested to the crime; most people are incredibly lazy; so, if there is an easy answer they are not going to try unwind it)
- Incompetent defense counsel (indigent and poor people aren't represented by big firms with unlimited resources; they get represented by attorneys who take the case for little or no money; the attorneys don't prepare; don't investigate; don't know how to cross examine; don't care; happens all of the time; attend a random trial in your local courthouse, and you will see examinations far more incompetent than those depicted in the show)
- Lawyer hooking up with a client (don't understand why anyone is disbelieving of this; people make idiotic decisions all of the time, not a stretch at all that to happen; btw, that was effectively looped in the last episode)

I will agree that an incompetent investigator may go for the layup and ignore everything else.

However, Chandra wasn't a public defender, she was working for a high profile criminal defense attorney presumably at decent size firm. She had all the resources she needed, and even though she was green, it was suggested that this was a somewhat lucrative firm, so probably decently selective in their hiring.

I can understand fumbling around with the witnesses, but not pulling the phone records in a murder trial is well beyond the pale. Also, not looking through the prosecutions file, which had street cam footage, also extremely reckless.

And yes, attys and clients bang all the time, mostly divorce attys, but they dont make out on videotape in a jail cell. Also beyond the pale.

So, it was the ex-boyfriend...shocker. Probably should have started from there.

I enjoyed the finale. Agree with those who said it was the best episode since the first one. Having said that, I am glad it is over so that I can move on.

Way too excited about Westworld.

I didn't care for the last episode. I'm ok with the jury verdict as I don't see how anyone could vote to convict with how the police ignored so many other suspects.

I'm disappointed the cat played no part in the story, despite having a ton of screen time.

Interesting take on the cat:

Were Richard Price and Steven Zaillian poking a little bit of fun about how our hearts can break at the right ASPCA ad, but go cold when confronted with things that would make our lives actually uncomfortable and inconvenient, like murder?

Back