• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Night Of on HBO

Say Hey Deac

Reaction score
Jesus fuck that first episode was stressful as a billy goat. I chewed off every fingernail on my left hand. Awesome premiere.

Whoa...that was some gripping shit. I'm all in after one episode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am definitely going to follow this one til the end. Probably the most riveting series opener I can remember seeing.

It's hard to find much sympathy for him because he is so, so stupid.

It will be interesting to see if he actually killed her or not. Maybe he is just playing dumb and is actually a criminal mastermind.

A dude did coke but didn't immediately throw his head back in ecstasy as if he had just blown the biggest load of his life. After Vinyl, I didn't know any other reaction was possible.

I also thought the cinematography was excellent. The contrast of light and dark throughout the episode was very well done.

Add that to the drawn out process of going through every detail and it made the tension almost unbearable at times.

Ultimately, 3 things stick out about the case. A: Bodi (from The Wire) said that he was alone when walking down the street, when clearly he had that creepy, glaring friend with him. B: I think Naz's clean clothes are about the only thing he has working in his favor at this point. C: The knife was still on the table down stairs, which makes me think that it wasn't actually the murder weapon, but obviously had her blood on it. So that's going to be a tough one to prove. The fact that they constantly mentioned the distinction between a serrated knife and a straight blade makes me think they'll figure out that isn't the murder weapon.

Last edited:
Yeah, the dude lying about being alone definitely stuck out to me. At this point it's not only "did he do it?", but also, "who else could have done it if it wasn't Naz?".

This doesn't strike me as a show that has anything said/viewed up to chance. I figure if something happens it is going to be important at some point.

Yeah, the dude lying about being alone definitely stuck out to me. At this point it's not only "did he do it?", but also, "who else could have done it if it wasn't Naz?".

This doesn't strike me as a show that has anything said/viewed up to chance. I figure if something happens it is going to be important at some point.

Any theories on the importance of the hearse driver?

Any theories on the importance of the hearse driver?

I actually kind of forgot about him. He is definitely a person of interest, and the fact that they showed the security footage of Naz in the store, as well as the man approaching his cab with the woman makes me think there's something to that as well/will come up later.

At this point it's: Naz, the hearse driver, and the Bodi actor that are suspicious. I wonder if the dude lied about being alone to protect the guy he was walking with. That's going to be pretty simple to diffuse in court when they ask Naz about his interaction with the two black guys on the street.

Also, when Naz first wakes up in the kitchen he has none of her blood on him at all except from stabbing her. That is something that will be potentially clearing.

They put so much into the first episode that can (and will) be explored throughout the course of the trial.

This has actually been up on HBOGo/Now for a few weeks now. I saw it over 4th wknd.

Was disappointed since I thought Ep2 would be last night.

Ep1 was great, the events that led to the murder was very well done, high end thriller stuff. Although I think Im gonna be let down now that it is going to switch to a crime / court procedural. I am guessing they may have flashbacks and maybe some back story for minor characters, maybe even follow some of the other minor characters around for a while.

Real red herring when the camera paused on Bodi's friend as his eyes followed the two into the apartment for way too long. That will come back somehow. I think maybe the hearse guy will probably just be a witess later. Will be interesting to see if we find out what led to the girl being in the state she was in, it seemed to me that she mightve wanted to go to the beach to off herself, and then Nas changed her mind.

what was importance of the motorcycle stopped beside him at that light? they let that linger for a while as well, so presumably will be important down the road.

Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar on The Wire) has a credit in the pilot episode but I missed him. Maybe he's the motorcyclist?

what was importance of the motorcycle stopped beside him at that light? they let that linger for a while as well, so presumably will be important down the road.

Since we didn't see the face of the person on the motorcycle that could be interesting. Especially if he claims to see the knife that was on the dashboard.

Yeah, I have a feeling some evidence is gonna get misplaced/contested (chain of custody comments in the station), so having a witness who puts the knife in the cab could be crucial.

*I'm not a lawyer so maybe that doesn't make sense -- I just watched that OJ doc though.

But yes, I was intrigued by a couple of the small things they took a second to focus on -- like her putting her bloody hand on the ballast, maybe something about that mounted deer head, shit like that -- and how that will come back.

I for one can't wait for the extrapolated theories and explanations that come from the subreddit that will be created. With the lack of true detective the Internet detectives have been biding their time until the next case came along. Like before they will be so disappointed when it turns out he just blacked out and their pain sex got a tad bit too violent.

Stop trying to make everything about your last girlfriend.

Back