• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Night Of on HBO

did the cops do anything not by the book?

hearse guy and bodies boy are the other two suspects, wonder if they will add on more as we go along or just flesh out what they showed ep 1.
Did anyone actually read him his rights? I feel like I missed that

He told his lawyer that they read him his rights

Would have to be the receipt. Cell phone tower location technology does not work unless the phone is in use (incoming, outcoming, routed) otherwise there is no use of the tower (things like using data do not ping off towers in the way you would think they do). I do not remember if he ever uses his phone during the course of the night but I do not think he did.

Modern phones keep a pretty precise record of your location, unless you turn that "feature" off.

We didn't see it though. Maybe nothing to note on this but did catch my attention.

I don't think they read him his rights, but something that got me thinking:

If they had read him his rights when they pulled him over for taking an illegal left turn, would those same rights (particularly the right to remain silent, and that anything you say can and will be held against you) carry over for all of the other charges that came later? Are there limitations on exactly what can be held against you? It just seems weird given the radically different severities of the crimes. For example: He gets pulled over for taking an illegal left turn, let's say they read him his rights, and then an hour later he asks the officer "is she dead?"

Last edited:
What did the hot chick mean when she said she couldn't be alone that night?!?!?!

I don't think they read him his rights, but something that got me thinking:

If they had read him his rights when they pulled him over for taking an illegal left turn, would those same rights (particularly the right to remain silent, and that anything you say can and will be held against you) carry over for all of the other charges that came later? Are there limitations on exactly what can be held against you? It just seems weird given the radically different severities of the crimes. For example: He gets pulled over for taking an illegal left turn, let's say they read him his rights, and then an hour later he asks the officer "is she dead?"

In your example, a judge would have to make the determination if, given the totality of the circumstances, his statement of "is she dead" was freely and voluntarily given following a knowing and intelligent waiver of his rights. A person does not have to be Mirandized for each and every offense that the police are investigating.

There's a more pertinent threshold matter in your example that would also have to be ruled upon by the judge - whether Miranda evens applies. Miranda is only required for a custodial interrogation. Obviously he made the statement while in police custody (arrested for a traffic offense, handcuffed, in the back of a police car, etc.) But, if I'm remembering the episode correctly, the statement "is she dead" wasn't made in response to any question or even comment from the police officers in the front seat.

Liked it a lot. Written by Richard Price, who I just love. Price wrote Clockers, both the book and the script, Lush Life, which is fantastic and similar to this - surprised this one hasn't been turned into a movie. He also wrote for The Wire.

Chick was definitely out that night to kill herself, also heavy into S&M. They didn't show the sex, but Nas got some razor blade looking marks all over his back that doesn't quite add up yet. Why didn't he bleed through to his shirt? What was actually used to create those marks? Wasn't a fingernail, so what? The rough sex angle is only going to hurt poor Naz though as A) He doesn't remember it, and B) the logical conclusion could be that rough sex turned too rough.

Also, the fact that Naz is Pakistani with immigrant parents is going to play out. He is going to be seriously reluctant to admit to his lawyer he did drugs for fear it will get back to his parents. He'd rather serve time than disappoint them. He is also likely not going to figure out how to explain that he accidentally stabbed the chick at her insistence and instead just gloss over that part. Immigrant's son reluctance to admit they are not the perfect son.

I thought the motorcycle dude was just interested in a race or something. The hearse driver was the really weird one and not quite believable. What was he doing staring in at the girl and why? She certainly didn't come from the back of the hearse. Not quite sure about that one.

Also, big piece of information nobody has brought up yet is putting the cat outside. I don't think she locked the door, there was no relatching of that basement door so killer could have come in and out through there.

No matter who killed the girl, it was a crime of passion - someone pissed off she had shacked up with Naz. Price is a cop-writer, crime-writer. You do not stab anyone 30 times unless you think they wronged you somehow. My money is on the creepy guy who stared back at Naz and the chick as they entered the place. I seem to recall her ducking her head and trying to be really low key. I will be disappointed if the actual killer was not introduced in the pilot.

My wife was suspicious of the two college punks who wouldn't get out of the cab but I don't see how that would be possible.

Liked it a lot. Written by Richard Price, who I just love. Price wrote Clockers, both the book and the script, Lush Life, which is fantastic and similar to this - surprised this one hasn't been turned into a movie. He also wrote for The Wire.

Chick was definitely out that night to kill herself, also heavy into S&M. They didn't show the sex, but Nas got some razor blade looking marks all over his back that doesn't quite add up yet. Why didn't he bleed through to his shirt? What was actually used to create those marks? Wasn't a fingernail, so what? The rough sex angle is only going to hurt poor Naz though as A) He doesn't remember it, and B) the logical conclusion could be that rough sex turned too rough.

Also, the fact that Naz is Pakistani with immigrant parents is going to play out. He is going to be seriously reluctant to admit to his lawyer he did drugs for fear it will get back to his parents. He'd rather serve time than disappoint them. He is also likely not going to figure out how to explain that he accidentally stabbed the chick at her insistence and instead just gloss over that part. Immigrant's son reluctance to admit they are not the perfect son.

I thought the motorcycle dude was just interested in a race or something. The hearse driver was the really weird one and not quite believable. What was he doing staring in at the girl and why? She certainly didn't come from the back of the hearse. Not quite sure about that one.

Also, big piece of information nobody has brought up yet is putting the cat outside. I don't think she locked the door, there was no relatching of that basement door so killer could have come in and out through there.

No matter who killed the girl, it was a crime of passion - someone pissed off she had shacked up with Naz. Price is a cop-writer, crime-writer. You do not stab anyone 30 times unless you think they wronged you somehow. My money is on the creepy guy who stared back at Naz and the chick as they entered the place. I seem to recall her ducking her head and trying to be really low key. I will be disappointed if the actual killer was not introduced in the pilot.

My wife was suspicious of the two college punks who wouldn't get out of the cab but I don't see how that would be possible.

meh I think it was fingernails, those can dig deep. also I do not think "he'd rather serve time than disappoint them" over drugs. He is looking at life in prison. Pretty sure he would come out with the drug bit if it would help him at all.

Good point about the cat. Don't see how the college punks would be possible and don't really see how the hearse driver would be either unless he followed them around from place to place but you think theyd notice that hearse if that was the case.

Yeah they looked like fingernails to me.

The hearse guy was pissed off because she threw the cigarette butt out the window. That's what caught his attention. Clearly not worthy of stabbing somebody that many times.

I bet somehow the cat being back in the house will indicate someone came through the door under the stairs

Maybe Naz mentions she let the cat out and the detective sees the cat chilling in the basement or something and thinks hmmm that's weird

The testimony that Naz gives on his night is going to be absolutely critical. I could also see the series focusing pretty hard on trying to work a deal out before it even goes to trial. If it were me (as a non-lawyer of course), I would try to work out a plea bargain for Naz that knocks years off due to his clean record. The Defense Attorney has to know how this isn't going to play out well after he hears the story.

Maybe Naz mentions she let the cat out and the detective sees the cat chilling in the basement or something and thinks hmmm that's weird

I don't get the sense this will be a show where the detective chases the truth. I could be wrong but it seems like Box is ready to tell the DA to charge with murder and go from there.

Meh. I know immigrant children pretty well. Indians especially. Married to one. They will go to great lengths to keep certain details from their parents.

I really did not think the marks on the backs were fingernails. They were in various places and they were always two running about an inch or two across and parallel to each other. Can't find a screengrab, but they looked too consistently symmetrical to be fingernails. I think there would sometimes be more than two. The scratches would be less consistent and they would not always be exactly the same width apart.

Just my two cents

Some people would say that they're native Americans and we're the immigrants!

Without getting too much into #DoofusExploits, I have pretty sensitive skin and have definitely had marks that resemble that.

Back