• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Offense: A look back at the 2010-2012 recruiting classes

Deac94

Reaction score
To get a more complete understanding of why our offense is so bad, I think that it is important to take a detailed look back at the 2010-2012 signing classes and how those classes turned out. Those classes should have provided the rSRs, JRs and rSOPH that you would have expected to be filling out you entire starting lineup and a majority of your two-deep.

The disastrous results from these three classes appear to be attributable to failures in all three pillars of program development: RECRUIT, RETAIN and DEVELOP. Feel free to put your own grades on each pillar.

It is easy to focus criticism on the quality of Grobe’s recruiting, which had clearly been in year-over-year decline, but it doesn’t come close to telling the full story.

Excluding two players that graduated already (Tanner Price and Ben Emert), there were 26 players in the 2010-2012 classes that were either signed for the offensive side of the ball or later converted to offense. Here is a breakdown of how those players have turned out:

Starters: 4
Backups: 7
No longer with the program / currently suspended: 11
Injured: 1 (Zach Gordon)
Busts (failed to make 2-deep): 2

Let’s look at each of the 3 pillars:

RECRUIT - It interesting to note that Grobe recruited almost entirely 3-stars on offense in the 2010-2012 classes. The biggest failure appears to relate to the fact that they did not bring in recruits with the academic and character backgrounds needed to remain eligible at Wake.

RETAIN - The most obvious point here is that there are just as many players that are no longer with the program or suspended as there are players on the 2-deep. Some programs may be able to deal with this type of attrition. I would contend that Wake Forest is not one of them. As a result, the offense has been decimated.

DEVELOP – You can judge for yourself. When you sign 23 three-stars over a 3 year period, you will have some busts for sure, but you also hope to come out with many solid starters and 3-4 guys that are at least borderline NFL prospects. However these 23 3-stars produced only 4 starters (Matt James, Antonio Ford, Dylan Intemann and Jared Crump). Surely some of that shortfall has to be attributable to failure to develop.

In terms of seniors, juniors and redshirt sophomores capable of filling out to the 2-deep, Clawson was given 1 QB (Cameron), 1 RB (Reynolds), 5 OL (Goodwin, Ford, Intemann, Will Smith and Hayworth) and 4 WR (James, Terry, Crump and Williams). Some fans look at that list and tell Clawson “go win at least 4-5 games for us”. I’m not one of them.

Outlook:

There is no way that Clawson can rely on recruiting alone to dig the offense out this mess. Football recruiting at Wake Forest will always be challenging. The best that we can hope for is IMPROVED recruiting and SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVED retention and development. Until Wake’s offense is fielding a starting lineup with at least 9 guys in their third, fourth or fifth year in the program, I think things will remain hopeless. He’s also going to need to develop some guys into at least marginal NFL prospects.

Looking forward there are both some warning signs and signs of hope.

Warning sign: The 2014 class was the first post-Orange Bowl class that brought in significant numbers of 2-stars on the offensive side of the ball. That class had 7 three-stars and 6 two-stars. To make matters worse, of the 7 three-stars there are ALREADY three not in the program (Kameron Uter, Jaylen Barbour and Travis Smith.)

Sign of hope: The 2015 class has seven 3-stars, some of whom were highly sought-after by a number of Power 5 programs. The degree to which Hinton, Claude, Archibald, Bargas, Haney and Gilliam are retained and developed will have a lot to say about how far the offense goes in the future.

Personally, I think it will be 2016 before we can field an offense with enough talent and experience to be modestly competitive. Just my view.

THE DETAILS
Neil Basford / 3-star TE – No longer with the program
Daniel Blitch / 2-star OL – No longer with the program
Ben Emert / 3-star FB – Graduated (didn’t redshirt)
Antonio Ford / 3-star DT – STARTER
Dylan Heartsill / 2-star OL – No longer with the program
Matt James / 3-star WR – STARTER
Nick Knott / 2-star RB – No longer with the program
Tanner Price / 3-star QB – Graduated (didn’t redshirt)
Brandon Terry / 3-star WR – BACKUP

Hunter Goodwin / 3-star OL – BACKUP
Dylan Intemann / 3-star OL – STARTER
DeAndre Martin / 3-star RB – No longer with the program
Cody Preble / 3-star OL – No longer with the program
Sherman Ragland / 3-star WR – No longer with the program
Orville Reynolds / 3-star RB – BACKUP
Kevin Sousa / 3-star QB – Bust (failed to make 2-deep)
Airyn Willis / 3-star ATH – No longer with the program

Tyler Cameron / 3-star QB – BACKUP
Jared Crump / 3-star WR – STARTER
Dominique Gibson / 3-star LB – Suspended
Zach Gordon / 3-star TE – Injured
Ty Hayworth / 3-star OL – BACKUP
Anthony Rook / 3-star TE – No longer with the program
Will Smith / 3-star OL – BACKUP
Joel Suggs / 2-star OL - Bust (failed to make 2-deep)
Josh Wilhite / 3-star RB – No longer with the program
Jonathan Williams / 3-star WR - BACKUP

Last edited:
This is a really informative post. Thanks for putting it together.

Thanks '94. Always like to read your analyses and good insights. I was at the Spring Game and on the drive home predicted 2 wins - GW and Army. We are right where I expected based on the talent level at hand. Hope Claw can bring in some quality OL and at least one RB this year.

THE DETAILS
Neil Basford / 3-star TE – No longer with the program
Daniel Blitch / 2-star OL – No longer with the program
Ben Emert / 3-star FB – Graduated (didn’t redshirt)
Antonio Ford / 3-star DT – STARTER
Dylan Heartsill / 2-star OL – No longer with the program
Matt James / 3-star WR – STARTER
Nick Knott / 2-star RB – No longer with the program
Tanner Price / 3-star QB – Graduated (didn’t redshirt)
Brandon Terry / 3-star WR – BACKUP

Hunter Goodwin / 3-star OL – BACKUP
Dylan Intemann / 3-star OL – STARTER
DeAndre Martin / 3-star RB – No longer with the program
Cody Preble / 3-star OL – No longer with the program
Sherman Ragland / 3-star WR – No longer with the program
Orville Reynolds / 3-star RB – BACKUP
Kevin Sousa / 3-star QB – Bust (failed to make 2-deep)
Airyn Willis / 3-star ATH – No longer with the program

Tyler Cameron / 3-star QB – BACKUP
Jared Crump / 3-star WR – STARTER
Dominique Gibson / 3-star LB – Suspended
Zach Gordon / 3-star TE – Injured
Ty Hayworth / 3-star OL – BACKUP
Anthony Rook / 3-star TE – No longer with the program
Will Smith / 3-star OL – BACKUP
Joel Suggs / 2-star OL - Bust (failed to make 2-deep)
Josh Wilhite / 3-star RB – No longer with the program
Jonathan Williams / 3-star WR - BACKUP

Depending on how severe the injuries are to Wolford and Cameron, Sousa just might end up being our starter this coming weekend.

The 2014s are whose guys - Grobe's, Clawson's or a combo of both?

This is a semi hijack of the recruiting thread.

The offense we are attempting to run appears to be one that requires being able to control the line of scrimmage. I'm not sure we will ever be able to recruit those type players. The offense itself is starting to scare me, not just this years lack of execution.

The offense we are attempting to run appears to be one that requires being able to control the line of scrimmage. I'm not sure we will ever be able to recruit those type players. The offense itself is starting to scare me, not just this years lack of execution.

Why can't we recruit those guys?

Well that seals it, time to fire Clawson and find a coach with a different offense...l:thumbsup:

Why can't we recruit those guys?

This.

It seems like Caldwell was able to. By the numbers, many believed that Grobe was able to for a long time, as well.

An observation - we tend to fall on to LOWF only in a strange justification for Jim Grobe's utter incompetence as the CEO of our football program.

Combination of both. Of the three already gone, two are Clawson's and one belonged to Grobe. Uter is understandable, sine we lost him to the Major League draft. I don't really understand why Smith threw in the towel so quickly. He would have seen the field last week if he had stayed in my opinion.

Combination of both. Of the three already gone, two are Clawson's and one belonged to Grobe. Uter is understandable, sine we lost him to the Major League draft. I don't really understand why Smith threw in the towel so quickly. He would have seen the field last week if he had stayed in my opinion.

Why would we have burned his shirt mid season?

Grobe had gotten off to a very bad start in 2014 with only 2 three-stars and 4 two-stars on the offensive side of the ball. Clawson improved on that with 4 three-stars, although he also added 2 more two-stars of his own. (Note: I left Wolford out completely as both coaches were involved to differing extents.) Since then we lost 1 of Grobe's three stars (Barbour) and two of Clawson's (Uter and Smith)

Clawson came back in 2015 with 7 three-stars on offense, but also added 4 more two-stars as well (five if you count now-OL Phil Haynes)

isn't Dylan Heartsill another one who should be listed as injury? If I recall, he had back surgery and was never really able to play, which is why he no longer is on the team. I would differentiate people in his situation from the Daniel Blitch/Nick Knott "no longer on the team"

94, take a look at Duke's classes for the same period. The quality of high schooler is about the same, but they developed into a division leading team. I think Godspower insight, when he left, says it all.

94, take a look at Duke's classes for the same period. The quality of high schooler is about the same, but they developed into a division leading team. I think Godspower insight, when he left, says it all.

Just based purely off of losing head to head recruiting battles with them during that period, I don't think this is true. Pretty sure they have some 4 stars on the OL.

Just based purely off of losing head to head recruiting battles with them during that period, I don't think this is true. Pretty sure they have some 4 stars on the OL.

As per Rivals, Duke had 10 OL committs from 2010-2012. 5 three stars and 5 Two stars. The only 4* was an RB named Shaq Powell from Las Vegas. Their starting OL has 5 players from these years Cofield 3*,Patrick 3*, Skura 2*, Tomlinson 3* and Blaser 2*. We start 5 three stars. I've always stressed player developement for this reason.

isn't Dylan Heartsill another one who should be listed as injury? If I recall, he had back surgery and was never really able to play, which is why he no longer is on the team. I would differentiate people in his situation from the Daniel Blitch/Nick Knott "no longer on the team"

Agreed that Heartsill was a medical situation. So was Colin Summers. Keep in mind that my original intent for the post was not to assign root causes to the roster attrition. I couldn't because I didn't have enough info. My objective for the post was to highlight that the situation when Clawson took over was much worse simply having a weak group of third/fourth/fifth year players. It was a weak group for certain, but it was also important to highlight that on the offensive side of the ball he was taking over a program where a very significant number of the offensive players that should have been third/fourth/fifth year players were simply no longer there (regardless of the reasons why). I wanted to differentiate this from a Daniel Green-type argument that one unproven guy would have made a difference.

On the OL specifically, the medically-related losses of Hearstsill and Summers are part of the explanation of why the OL is as bad as it is. But only a part of the explanation.

It wasn't solely poor recruiting. It wasn't solely an inability to retain (or bad luck with respect to the medicals). It wasn't solely a failure to develop. It was all three. However I thought that the retention factor had been somewhat under-discussed/under appreciated.

Last edited:
Back