• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Offense: A look back at the 2010-2012 recruiting classes

As per Rivals, Duke had 10 OL committs from 2010-2012. 5 three stars and 5 Two stars. The only 4* was an RB named Shaq Powell from Las Vegas. Their starting OL has 5 players from these years Cofield 3*,Patrick 3*, Skura 2*, Tomlinson 3* and Blaser 2*. We start 5 three stars. I've always stressed player developement for this reason.

I've tried to make this point to you, apparently to no avail. What are their position rankings within the broad "3-star" ranking you seem so taken with. I know that within a 3* ranking, you can have position rankings from, say, #5 to #125+. Do you honestly believe all 3* rankings are alike? It's a very broad ranking and the abilities of given players within it can vary considerably. It's largely a matter of talent spotting by the coaches, at which Grobe also apparently was deficient, or unable to land the higher position rankings. Getting labelled a 3-star does NOT homogenize you to be the same as any other given 3-star. You seem very simplistic in your view of these rankings. They mean something, but not what you're trying to wrap your head around.

3*>2*. Even if they are "Highly Rated" 2*s, we should be better. And we're not. Your arguement Lohengrin puts no value on the ranking system what so ever if things are so broad. No one can come to the conclusion whether players who are judged as 18 yr olds, playing against other 18 yr olds, will put the work in to become any good at 21 yrs old. Thats my point.

Jesus. You people are true masochists. Here's a more concise synopsis: We suck. HARD. We have little to no ACC level talent. It's gonna be a while before we are decent again.

#analysis

This.

It seems like Caldwell was able to. By the numbers, many believed that Grobe was able to for a long time, as well.

An observation - we tend to fall on to LOWF only in a strange justification for Jim Grobe's utter incompetence as the CEO of our football program.

It is almost like Grobe had a stroke or something. We were cruising along fairly well, had a 24 yard field goal to beat Clemson and go to the ACCCG, again, likely, and then WHAM. All down hill. And 2015 is not gonna be that much better (2016, sure, but NY, no).

3*>2*. Even if they are "Highly Rated" 2*s, we should be better. And we're not. Your arguement Lohengrin puts no value on the ranking system what so ever if things are so broad. No one can come to the conclusion whether players who are judged as 18 yr olds, playing against other 18 yr olds, will put the work in to become any good at 21 yrs old. Thats my point.

It's not "my arguement" [sic], it's just the facts. A three star recruit is basically one that has been offered by one or more P5 programs. It doesn't mean shit unless the position ranking is high and the offer sheet is healthy. I can't believe you're defending Grobe's "3* recruits" lol.

It is almost like Grobe had a stroke or something. We were cruising along fairly well, had a 24 yard field goal to beat Clemson and go to the ACCCG, again, likely, and then WHAM. All down hill. And 2015 is not gonna be that much better (2016, sure, but NY, no).

But this precisely the point that posters like Ph and Loh were making forever and 94 has done are great job of showing numerically.

The signs were there and we ignored them. The first time we ignored them, it was for good reason: we had the greatest stretch in program history. The second time we ignored them, it was blind faith meets plausible excuses. Stated differently, excuses were, at the very least, reasonable. The third time, though, was blind faith meets stupidity and that's how we got to where we are today.

Grobe didn't have a stroke; Grobe being Grobe is why we succeeded and why we failed.

It's not "my arguement" [sic], it's just the facts. A three star recruit is basically one that has been offered by one or more P5 programs. It doesn't mean shit unless the position ranking is high and the offer sheet is healthy. I can't believe you're defending Grobe's "3* recruits" lol.

Nikita was a 2* who should not have been able to beat out Ramon Booi, a highly rated 3*. His classmates Souza and Gallagher never lived up to their higher billing. Our best OL in the last few classes was Colin Summers. You could tell by his HS film that he was the best drive blocker we've had since the OB guys. Intermann and Preble were ranked higher by Rivals, Hayworth,Smith and Whit Barnes were all the same (5.5 on there scale). He had the "it" factor, the others have been place holders, and Intermann has been savaged on this site. What they do once they get here is more important than what they did years ago.

Nikita was a 2* who should not have been able to beat out Ramon Booi, a highly rated 3*. His classmates Souza and Gallagher never lived up to their higher billing. Our best OL in the last few classes was Colin Summers. You could tell by his HS film that he was the best drive blocker we've had since the OB guys. Intermann and Preble were ranked higher by Rivals, Hayworth,Smith and Whit Barnes were all the same (5.5 on there scale). He had the "it" factor, the others have been place holders, and Intermann has been savaged on this site. What they do once they get here is more important than what they did years ago.

#moxie #it #character

We should totally have this conversation again.

I thought that some of the quotes from Clawson’s press conference today were particularly interesting and relevant to the overall discussion in this thread (well, maybe not the last dozen or so posts....). The 2nd quote isn't really on-point to this discussion, but I included it because it is a pretty candid assessment.

Clawson: "Every point that we've scored this year on offense and kicking game has been scored by a player that hasn't played before for WF".

"I celebrate right now when we have an eight-yard play. We're a little bit challenged on the perimeter right now," Clawson said.

"I can go through a list of players that were unplayable to start the year that can now play. That's a win," Clawson said.

"B.C. starts 5 graduate students on their offensive line. The core of your offensive line needs to be developed," Clawson said.

I thought that some of the quotes from Clawson’s press conference today were particularly interesting and relevant to the overall discussion in this thread (well, maybe not the last dozen or so posts....). The 2nd quote isn't really on-point to this discussion, but I included it because it is a pretty candid assessment.

Clawson: "Every point that we've scored this year on offense and kicking game has been scored by a player that hasn't played before for WF".

"I celebrate right now when we have an eight-yard play. We're a little bit challenged on the perimeter right now," Clawson said.

"I can go through a list of players that were unplayable to start the year that can now play. That's a win," Clawson said.

"B.C. starts 5 graduate students on their offensive line. The core of your offensive line needs to be developed," Clawson said.

That's pretty astonishing that 7 games into the season we have no offensive points scored by a player that played a single down for us prior to this season.

Maturity up front makes a huge difference, we're starting a guy at center that in a normal situation should be playing scout team and lifting weights this season instead of starting.

Back