• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 1m
Reds did not invite Brandon Phillips to Redsfest and sources continue to insist that he will traded between now and the end of the WTR Mtgs

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 20s
Cincinnati Reds have informed me that in fact Brandon Phillips was invited to Redsfest and my source was incorrect #apologies #Reds

Busto.

wait wtf didn't he just sign an extension this past season? Either that or I'm getting ALL my free agent 2Bs confused from my research a few months ago. I earlier thought Infante wasn't a free agent and signed an extension.

edit: LOL that was signed April 2012. What the fuck is wrong with me today?

Olney says teams convinced Beltran will sign with Royals for 3/48.

Justin Bopp ‏@justinbopp 10m
If only the #Royals had a young phenom out in RF so they wouldn't be tempted to sign dudes through their 41st year...

lol

sounds like salty is looking at 3/$21 from the fish. seems like a good get, and once again the rube beats himself out for an old overpaid guy.

fuck, astros steal Fowler from Rockies.

Wo.

Just like that, we add an outfielder.

Surprised they cut bait with Jordan Lyles so early. It FEELS like he's been struggling with the Astros since forever, but he's still just 23.

Yeah, Salty signing for less than Chooch is pretty infuriating.

Could the Rockies really not get more than that for Fowler? Today is so weird.

Wo.

Just like that, we add an outfielder.

Surprised they cut bait with Jordan Lyles so early. It FEELS like he's been struggling with the Astros since forever, but he's still just 23.

price to stros now.

i really think i could do a better job than ruben. i usually pretend i know more than these guys, but ireally think he just has no effing clue.

Twitter seems to think the Astros got a steal, but Fowler's home/road splits are uninspiring, and I think people are too caught up in Lyles' poor career numbers. Lyles was rushed to the majors at age 20, has steadily added some velocity the last 1.5 years, and has a simple, repeatable delivery that scouts love. That said, I think I read once that part of Lyles' problem is that the pitch/fx data shows him with 4 pitches that are simply average or below. In the right situation he could still become a pitchability/innings eater guy, but I'd be inclined to shorten him up, stick him in the bullpen, and let him operate off his fastball/curveball more.

Also you'd need to go check his batted ball charts, but Brandon Barnes could be kinda interesting at Coors Field... He generated 1.0 WAR last season based almost entirely on his defense in CF. He doesn't get on base much at all, but he showed some pop to the pull side all season and somehow managed to knock 8 HR.

Twitter seems to think the Astros got a steal, but Fowler's home/road splits are uninspiring, and I think people are too caught up in Lyles' poor career numbers. Lyles was rushed to the majors at age 20, has steadily added some velocity the last 1.5 years, and has a simple, repeatable delivery that scouts love. That said, I think I read once that part of Lyles' problem is that the pitch/fx data shows him with 4 pitches that are simply average or below. In the right situation he could still become a pitchability/innings eater guy, but I'd be inclined to shorten him up, stick him in the bullpen, and let him operate off his fastball/curveball more.

i think the h/r splits are overblown. some guys hit better at home even in tough pitchers park. that's why i err more toward the park adjusted numbers. regardless the stros traded two guys that are fringe major leaguers for 2 years of an above average player. he also allows them to be flexible with springer and potentially put a studly defensive of out there.

Dave Cameron is going on and on about the h/r splits right now. YAWN. Says it's easier to just use wRC+, which makes sense, but then I'm still worried because Fowler is barely above average.

On paper, he looks like a guy with 5 average tools. Still better than Barnes/Lyles, but I'll be disappointed if someone else develops Lyles into the prospect he was billed to be as a 20 year old.

meh... he was barely a top 50 prospect that has been horrid in parts of 3 mlb seasons.

fowler has averaged 2.5 war/year the last 3 years despite injury issues. he's getting paid like a 1 war player this year and under arb next year (likely not to see much of a raise unless he legit improves thanks to park and his skillset). he's just entering his prime and could be a useful guy to build around or not. either way you gave up 2 borderline mlb players. it looks like a straight salary dump.

i really think i could do a better job than ruben. i usually pretend i know more than these guys, but ireally think he just has no effing clue.

I love harping on the stats ignorance because it’s (depressingly) funny, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The total inability to read the market, the failure to learn from past mistakes, the arrogance combined with the palpable fear of being shown up… the guy has repeatedly told the media how many times he’s tried to trade for Stanton. HOW? WITH WHAT??

I love harping on the stats ignorance because it’s (depressingly) funny, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The total inability to read the market, the failure to learn from past mistakes, the arrogance combined with the palpable fear of being shown up… the guy has repeatedly told the media how many times he’s tried to trade for Stanton. HOW? WITH WHAT??

exactly. like dayton moore makes some head scratchers and doesnt quite seem to grasp the stats stuff, but the dude can build a farm system and identify talent. i dont think i could be better than moore at his job, but i just cant see what rube does even reasonably well.

Back