• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

+25 at another position is more possible. ss is hardest defensive position (exempting catcher because it's apples and oranges), so in theory a ++ defender at short would put up insane defensive numbers elsewhere (like your boy).

nopers, he's doing it at short too. just you watch

(nah...I really just felt like posting that goofy picture)

Dan Szymborski ‏@DSzymborski 3h
ZiPS really like the Simmons deal. Suggests 7/81 with 6, 12, 17 in arbitration down the road.

He said $17 sounds high but later says

Dan Szymborski ‏@DSzymborski 3h
17 million sounds high, but that's another 4 years down the road salary-wise and if you think arb won't appreciated GGs, you're crazy.

I’m not saying the deals aren’t good, and I’m sure I’d be thrilled to get the young guys locked up if I was a Braves fan. But we’ve seen more and more teams recently sign players early and get a huge discount for taking on the risk that is usually completely on the players for their first 6 or so years.

Also, if I was a Braves fan, I’d be all sorts of giddy over the team committing to payroll. BR has them already at almost $100MM for next year if you include arbitration estimates. And that hasn’t been updated for Simmons.

Also, if I was a Braves fan, I’d be all sorts of giddy over the team committing to payroll. BR has them already at almost $100MM for next year if you include arbitration estimates. And that hasn’t been updated for Simmons.

c2ed8a5068370347b1cddd7854cc462d.jpg

agreed. there's been a huge backlash from internet donks for teams spending money, but locking up young players bodes well for the team's future. as a fan, you know you'll have these guys on your roster for a while. that's awesome. any criticism i think stems solely from the risk in locking up guys that you could go year to year on, but this seems to imply the braves think they can win with who they have. as a fan, you have to love that.

Much easier to buy a jersey when you know the guy will be there for quite a few years.

Oh good lord. Grow up, Phillies. And change your stupid rules, NCAA.

The NCAA rule is clearly unconstitutional, but that hasn't stopped the NCAA (though it did have to pay Andy Oliver $750,000 to get a similar case out of the court system).

As for the Phillies, unless there is a new development in this case, good luck dealing with coaches, players, and agents this year, and any other year in which the current management is running the club.

Saw one agent say that they're absolutely done working with the phillies, cutting all ties.

The Phillies do stuff that make you wonder WTF they are thinking and is there anyone in charge there with even half a goddamn brain. It is wild that they can make such dumb decisions over and over again.

As a Braves fan, I'm pumped the team is committing to these guys and suddenly not afraid to spend (future) money. They were looking at having so many guys either hitting FA or upper arb years in 2016 and 2017, I really thought they were fucked. Not particularly worried about the risk, as they are all young.

Orioles going after Ervin Santana, per Heyman, after signing Ubaldo.

Reports of LAA & Trout getting close to a six year, $150 million contract.

Reports of LAA & Trout getting close to a six year, $150 million contract.

What I don't understand about it is this- that buys out 2 years of FA. Even in arbitration, the guy (while setting records for arbitration) isn't going to be making anywhere near $25M/year for the first 4. Even if he pulls in $15M average for the 4 years of arb, that's $60, so they'd pay $90 for 2 years. He's good, but $45M a season? Am I underestimating what the arbitration years add up to? I think if you're going to lock him up, it needs to be for 8+ years of FA, not 2. But that's why I'm not a GM.

Cashman is getting into Amaro territory paying Gardnier $52M/4 ($2M buyout). Why pay him that much after paying Ellsbury? Why pay him at all and lose Cano?

Back