• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2014-15 MLB Offseason/HOT STOVE Thread

Not gonna lie...would like for us to take a run at him but he probably will get a deal richer than I would be willing to make. With Laroche leaving our line up becomes right handed heavy and he crushes left handed pitching. That being said I would be scared to give him a lot of years when moving him to first is probably not an option with Zimmerman.

I don't think Sandoval will age well. I would be afraid to go more than 4 years

I know billy butler didn't have a great year, but seems $12.5 mil for a year and seeing if he bounces back wouldn't be unreasonable. They need bats who are the royals gonna replace him with.

$12.5M for a guy for has gone .883 OPS to .786 to .702 as a DH is ludicrous. They have the money to get a star.

$12.5M for a guy for has gone .883 OPS to .786 to .702 as a DH is ludicrous. They have the money to get a star.

lol cuz guys are just dying to play in KC and they have a rep for throwing money around. I doubt they are gonna go out and sign hanley, panda, v-mart, nelson cruz, etc. Plus keeping him on a one year deal just makes more sense than throwing a bunch of money at a FA. not sure why i'm arguing with rj. Most of his peripherals were ok this year, although his walk rate did drop a lot.

Deadline to offer QO's is today. FA begins at 12:01 a.m. tomorrow. Should be an exciting week. Rumor around O's clubhouse is that Markakis will re-sign. Doesn't look great for Cruz and Miller, although they will give Cruz the QO.

@TigersProspectReport going off this morning about Aaron Judge vs Steven Moya, two of the top Tigers prospects. Well, Moya is a much higher ranked prospect, while Judge seems to have a much, much better approach and better tools all around. They're both enormous players, but the issue is that they both play the same position. And neither is ready for '15.

lol cuz guys are just dying to play in KC and they have a rep for throwing money around. I doubt they are gonna go out and sign hanley, panda, v-mart, nelson cruz, etc. Plus keeping him on a one year deal just makes more sense than throwing a bunch of money at a FA. not sure why i'm arguing with rj. Most of his peripherals were ok this year, although his walk rate did drop a lot.

That dramatic a decline is worth paying for? It's one thing if the guy can play the field. This guy is a DH and sucked at it.

Over the past three years, his HRs have gone down by 2/3. His OBP has gone down .050. His SLG is down over .130. A 6'1, 240 DH who does that is not worth paying anywhere near that much.

He also had a negative WAR (which you guys love so much). Of the 15 AL DHs that had at least 250 PAs only Corey Hart and Kendrys Morales had a lower OPS. Of the DHs who had over 400 PAs, he had the lowest SLG%.

He's on a downward trend and isn't worth being one of the Top 3-5 paid players on the Royals.

I gotta agree with rj here on Butler not being worth a re-sign. For 12 mil, they can find a better player.

I do disagree that KC will splash cash. They just made it to game 7 of the world series with a pretty low payroll (bottom third of the league iirc).

They should. they have a strong core of young players. They don't have to "splash". If they could buy two or three players, they'd still be under $100-110M.

One thing I agree with George Steinbrenner about is if team get revenue sharing dollars if they don't spend it on players, they should have to give it back.

Royals can probably get a better hitter than Butler but I don't think it will be on a 1-year deal. RF and DH seem like the only realistic places to upgrade their offense.

The question becomes would the Royals rather have Cain in RF and focusing more on offense or in CF?

If Moustakas could field like Machado maybe his awful OPS could be hidden hitting him eighth. But he isn't. He's been up for 3.5 seasons with declining offensive numbers. He should be traded and replaced.

Butler absolutely has to go.

Royals can probably get a better hitter than Butler but I don't think it will be on a 1-year deal. RF and DH seem like the only realistic places to upgrade their offense.

The one year part is what I was getting at. I don't think there is anyone that they are gonna get on a 1 year $12 mil deal that will outperform Butler. I agree he is declining but I'd love to hear who you guys think they are gonna bring in for that amount of money. Now if they are going to spend and give someone a multi-year deal then that makes sense but otherwise I'd take my chances with Butler over signing Kendrys Morales, Cuddyer, or the like.

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Dodgers have talked to #Athletics assistant GM Farhan Zaidi about a front-office position.

Oh no... they're after my GM crush. Don't let them do it, Pat Gillick!

The one year part is what I was getting at. I don't think there is anyone that they are gonna get on a 1 year $12 mil deal that will outperform Butler. I agree he is declining but I'd love to hear who you guys think they are gonna bring in for that amount of money. Now if they are going to spend and give someone a multi-year deal then that makes sense but otherwise I'd take my chances with Butler over signing Kendrys Morales, Cuddyer, or the like.

no disagreements here

Twins hire Paul Molitor as manager.

Tigers re-hire Alan Trammel to the front office, special asst to Dombrowski, will work with the farm system.

Back