• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official LOL Harry Giles thread

Are there any other fanbases as upset about one of their most famous alums having their jersey retired? It’s always seemed really weird to me.

This board is amazing for its propensity to tear down its own players/coaches. Certain posters on the recruiting thread were questioning the credibility of Hoard's ranking because they hadn't seen stats for him this season.

Are there any other fanbases as upset about one of their most famous alums having their jersey retired? It’s always seemed really weird to me.

I'm not aware of other basketball programs with as limited success as we have had that have as many retired jerseys as we do. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I feel like the standard for retiring a jersey needs to be pretty damn high. And it has nothing to do with being famous.

I'm not aware of other basketball programs with as limited success as we have had that have as many retired jerseys as we do. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I feel like the standard for retiring a jersey needs to be pretty damn high. And it has nothing to do with being famous.

Wake may need (should have) a category for acknowledging the large contributions of players that is below the level of accomplishment needed for retired jersey. I would have to think about appropriate criteria for such acknowledgement, but it might be useful. This group would also have accomplishments that didn't rise to the level of inclusion in the Wake Sports Hall of Fame.

HUH?

Here's a list of our retired jerseys:

Dickie Hemric
Len Chappell
Charlie Davis
Rod Griffin
Muggsy Bogues
Skip Brown
Randolph Childress
Tim Duncan
Chris Paul

In over 100 years of bball, that's not many at all. Each had stellar Wake careers.

CP’s Jersey is probably retired at almost any school in the country had he played somewhere else.

We really do have a miserable fucking fanbase.

HUH?

Dickie Hemric
Len Chappell
Charlie Davis
Rod Griffin
Muggsy Bogues
Skip Brown
Randolph Childress
Tim Duncan
Chris Paul

In over 100 years of bball, that's not many at all. Each had stellar Wake careers.

Josh Howard

CP’s Jersey is probably retired at almost any school in the country had he played somewhere else.

We really do have a miserable fucking fanbase.

I disagree. It certainly wouldn't be retired at any of the other NC ACC schools. He played here two years, was ACC rookie of the year, one 3rd team all ACC selection and one 1st team all ACC selection and I think he was first team AA his sophomore year. The team had a lot of regular season success but no significant tournament success.

Look, you are making me talk bad about a great Deacon who I loved as a Deac. I just think jersey retirement should be very rare and should be based on collegiate accomplishments only.

Duke has 13 retired jerseys, UNC has 8, NCSU has 1, we have 11. Duke has 8 players who have received a national player of the year award, UNC has at least 4, NCSU has only one - as do we. [More info I looked up for comparison - UVA has 8, GT has 6, MD has none]

The powers that be can set up whatever criteria they want for retiring a number, obviously. I just think that if you only play for 2 years you better be national player of the year and/or take the team to the final 4 or something before it would even be considered...

Do you think Duke should retire Bagley's jersey if he wins national player of the year? Do you think they will? I don't know. What if he had lead them to the national title? The one and done era makes this tough, I think.

I will personally fight any supposed Wake fan that doesn't like CP3

HUH?

Dickie Hemric
Len Chappell
Charlie Davis
Rod Griffin
Muggsy Bogues
Skip Brown
Randolph Childress
Tim Duncan
Chris Paul

I'm not sure it matters how long we have been playing basketball. What matters is how many players we have had that deserved to have their jersey retired. And that depends, obviously, on what you think it takes to be so deserving. I happen to think it takes a lot. You are free to disagree.
Think about what retiring a jersey means - it means that the player had such an amazing career that no other player is worthy of ever wearing that number again. Ever. That should be a pretty high bar.

I'm not sure it matters how long we have been playing basketball. What matters is how many players we have had that deserved to have their jersey retired. And that depends, obviously, on what you think it takes to be so deserving. I happen to think it takes a lot. You are free to disagree.
Think about what retiring a jersey means - it means that the player had such an amazing career that no other player is worthy of ever wearing that number again. Ever. That should be a pretty high bar.

I agree with you on the high bar for retiring a number and never having it used again. That is why I would like to see another category that acknowledges players who had great careers that don't quite rise to the level of number retirement, but still should be recognized for what they did in basketball while at Wake.

Which of those nine don't deserve it?

Wake actually has retired 11 (Gotta include Josh Howard and Rodney Rogers) out of the 37 numbers available to be used in BB.

I missed Rodney, too? weird he was on the list I used...my bad...

Duke would have retired CP’s number. Not right away, but they would have. It’s crazy to me that just like people who thought he “wasn’t ready”, our fanbase still doesn’t seem to appreciate just how good he is at basketball.

Duke would have retired CP’s number. Not right away, but they would have. It’s crazy to me that just like people who thought he “wasn’t ready”, our fanbase still doesn’t seem to appreciate just how good he is at basketball.

he might be the best PG ever

I think an interesting comparison would be to see if UCLA ultimately retires #0. I bet they do. They retired Reggie Miller's number, and his collegiate accolades aren't stellar.

Back