• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official LOL Harry Giles thread

Devin Thomas averaged 16/10 last season. Anya averaged under 3/3 this season.

Devin Thomas is exactly the type of player you're talking about.

Probably true, although I would submit that Devin Thomas was a good stats/bad team type of guy.

Probably true, although I would submit that Devin Thomas was a good stats/bad team type of guy.

4 years with Danny would have made Devin a millionaire. He was a victim if circumstances here.

Travis McKie should have gotten the job Elrod got from the A.D. Talk about somebody Wake owed.

i'm saying roy is finding these guys that might not leave early but are awesome, he can only do that because he's at UNC. he can afford to micro-target players on really specific criteria because from word go he has an advantage over 95% of the other schools in the country. the stakes aren't high on any one recruit.

wake is the opposite, in order to be successful they have to cast a wide net and can't turn away talent in any form and also have lots of back-up plans if they whiff on top options. giles was a calculated risk that was worth it at the time, and that wasted time and energy did probably lead to a lot of backup plans in 2016. not like it's going to be a recurring problem, #1 player in the country isn't gonna be in winston and friends with a asst. coach's son and fellow recruit any time soon.

That's a fair argument. I think the "bad team" part could have been handled better by Manning. If he had given the reins to Crawford and Collins and let them grow instead of trusting CMM and Devin to lead, Devin could have played his proper role as a #3 guy. Either way, he was much much better than Anya.

UNC definitely targets that 25-40 range. KU is kind of the same, although they do seem to nab a OAD stud each year. Kinda surprised UNC didn't go after Chaundee (eta: I could be wrong, maybe they offered, don't really remember).

UNC definitely targets that 25-40 range. KU is kind of the same, although they do seem to nab a OAD stud each year. Kinda surprised UNC didn't go after Chaundee (eta: I could be wrong, maybe they offered, don't really remember).

I can tell you with absolute certainty that is because they haven't been able to get the kids going to Duke and Kentucky since the NCAA investigation. Nothing they'd like more than to be back in the mix for the Harrison Barneses and Lawsons. Carolina's 2018 class is ranked in behind Auburn AND Alabama in basketball. Luke Maye paid to come to Carolina and is getting double digit minutes a night. That's not by design, I can assure you.

Devin put up numbers similiar to Collins? I'm shocked. Guess because we were in so few games the points and boards didn't mean much. It's a shame DT couldn't get out of his own head and do what Manning wanted. He had the skill set and energy to be a really good college player.

He still gets accolades for the occasional big (Okafor), and they get drafted. They win while they are there too. I think his time with USA Basketball was a monumental advantage on the recruiting trail. Gave him access to players during dead periods and a network of NBA stars to vouch for him. He has also been an amazing coach for a long long time.

That and his small arena has low ceilings too
. Can't overlook that.

this was a topnotch comment

Devin put up numbers similiar to Collins? I'm shocked. Guess because we were in so few games the points and boards didn't mean much. It's a shame DT couldn't get out of his own head and do what Manning wanted. He had the skill set and energy to be a really good college player.

He was a good college player. He was just small with limited athleticism. It's a little surprising to me to find out people didn't realize Devin was good. Devin Thomas was the best thing [Redacted] ever did.

Wake wasn't Giles 2nd choice..i read somewhere that Kansas was next..i could be wrong..

Wake wasn't Giles 2nd choice..i read somewhere that Kansas was next..i could be wrong..

That is what frustrates most Wake fans. If we weren't in the running, which it seems clear we weren't, then let us off the hook so we don't waste 18 months chasing something we were never going to catch. He played us, and he had every right to do what he wants, but Wake fans have every right to take some comfort that his college career tanked at on of our chief rivals. All this while the 'consolation prize' Brandon Childress has been a big time producer for us in his first year and looks to have an extremely bright future ahead of him in the Gold and Black. Little chill is going to make his own name and be remembered well when it is all said and done. No one will remember Giles at Duke other than he was another big man flame out.

He was a good college player. He was just small with limited athleticism. It's a little surprising to me to find out people didn't realize Devin was good. Devin Thomas was the best thing [Redacted] ever did.

I just looked at last year's schedule and damn, that team totally tanked.

If you're not first, you're last.

36224732.jpg

Gils never gave us a second thought...only reason we were listed was the local connection. Giles played us which is why I don't like the kid. Fine if you don't want to come to Wake but don't play the school and fan base. I guarantee you K and Self both knew Wake had no chance.

I do wonder what Giles and Bolden would have done if right before they signed K said BTW I expect you guys to get a total of 180 and 60 minutes for the YEAR respectively. I would use these two as an example for any player I'm recruiting that Duke is also after.

That is what frustrates most Wake fans. If we weren't in the running, which it seems clear we weren't, then let us off the hook so we don't waste 18 months chasing something we were never going to catch. He played us, and he had every right to do what he wants, but Wake fans have every right to take some comfort that his college career tanked at on of our chief rivals. All this while the 'consolation prize' Brandon Childress has been a big time producer for us in his first year and looks to have an extremely bright future ahead of him in the Gold and Black. Little chill is going to make his own name and be remembered well when it is all said and done. No one will remember Giles at Duke other than he was another big man flame out.

Don't you think the staff knew we weren't in the running anymore once we started taking commitments from Washington and Mitchell? No offense to those kids, but it was a bit silly of us to think Giles was coming here to play in a recruiting class where the next highest ranked player was in the 90's, then Mitchell in the high 140's, and rounded out by two players >250? I would guess the staff knew they missed on Giles a few months before he announced and moved on to 2017. I know Danny kept going to visit or to his games, but that was probably just for visibility.

Don't you think the staff knew we weren't in the running anymore once we started taking commitments from Washington and Mitchell? No offense to those kids, but it was a bit silly of us to think Giles was coming here to play in a recruiting class where the next highest ranked player was in the 90's, then Mitchell in the high 140's, and rounded out by two players >250? I would guess the staff knew they missed on Giles a few months before he announced and moved on to 2017. I know Danny kept going to visit or to his games, but that was probably just for visibility.

I doubt it. Recruiting battles are very up and down. If you allow yourself as a coach to be defeated just because the outlook is grim, then you are going to be a terrible recruiter. We had to keep recruiting Giles as long as we were in the game. I doubt Manning would have let him continue to come to workout sessions with our team if he knew that we had no chance and that he was going to end up at Duke.

I doubt it. Recruiting battles are very up and down. If you allow yourself as a coach to be defeated just because the outlook is grim, then you are going to be a terrible recruiter. We had to keep recruiting Giles as long as we were in the game. I doubt Manning would have let him continue to come to workout sessions with our team if he knew that we had no chance and that he was going to end up at Duke.

Good point.

I think Manning thought he had a chance up until the bell, and I have no problem with him going down swinging. Giles made a dumb decision, and he's dealing with it. His "success" he gets to enjoy at duke is not that much different than what Anthony Bilas gets to enjoy here. "He" won a couple more games than Bilas I guess. If Manning had cooled on Giles given the circumstances, I would have been pissed. You don't get recruits like that (regardless of his current failings) in your backyard that often. You leave it all out there when you do.

Back