• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

So Republicans are doing what they’ve been saying they want to do for decades.

Given that the whole thrust of the GOP is to go backwards, it should be no surprise. What Atkins is describing is basically the Articles of Confederation and the Confederate States governments, both of which conservatives loved. A very weak central national government that doesn't have much power, and each state is pretty much a little nation unto itself. The fact that neither of those governments worked very well - the Articles of Confederation was replaced by the Constitution because it was a failure, and even during the Civil War Southern governors like Zebulon Vance here in NC constantly feuded with the Confederate government in Richmond over states rights (Jefferson Davis said that if the Confederacy lost the war its epitaph should be "died of a theory") - didn't matter to them. Looks like our six SC justices believe the Articles and Confederacy should be our new standard of government. Swell.

I wouldn't say the GOP is trying to go backwards. I'd say conservatives been trying to freeze the US in the early 1800s. It's been an ongoing project for 200 years.

I appreciated his sentiment. I guess there are lawyers who are finally realizing their whole training, profession, and field is based on the assumption that laws aren’t simply the ideology and whims of people in power. It’s kind of late to realize that but whatever.

I appreciated his sentiment. I guess there are lawyers who are finally realizing their whole training, profession, and field is based on the assumption that laws aren’t simply the ideology and whims of people in power. It’s kind of late to realize that but whatever.

I think it’s lawyers who have been sounding the alarm about just how fragile this system is and why trump is an existential threat to it. At least the competent and honest ones, which like in any profession is not an overwhelming majority.

I think it’s lawyers who have been sounding the alarm about just how fragile this system is and why trump is an existential threat to it. At least the competent and honest ones, which like in any profession is not an overwhelming majority.

The legal system in general has always been fragile.

Well, I'm one of those crazy, 68-year-old criminal defense lawyers down here in Alabama. After these unwanted babies have fucked up lives, and become criminals themselves, they can simply be shipped down here for execution. I mean, life is precious here in Alabama!

Uncle Thomas made it clear he has his eyes set on contraception, consensual gay sex, gay marriage, and potentially interracial marriage. Whoops, how did that last one slip in there!

If he comes out against interracial marriage we'll all know that he's considering a divorce from his batshit-crazy loon of a wife. Of course I'm joking - he likely agrees with every word she says.

Given that the whole thrust of the GOP is to go backwards, it should be no surprise. What Atkins is describing is basically the Articles of Confederation and the Confederate States governments, both of which conservatives loved. A very weak central national government that doesn't have much power, and each state is pretty much a little nation unto itself. The fact that neither of those governments worked very well - the Articles of Confederation was replaced by the Constitution because it was a failure, and even during the Civil War Southern governors like Zebulon Vance here in NC constantly feuded with the Confederate government in Richmond over states rights (Jefferson Davis said that if the Confederacy lost the war its epitaph should be "died of a theory") - didn't matter to them. Looks like our six SC justices believe the Articles and Confederacy should be our new standard of government. Swell.

Their gun control ruling argues otherwise. Let’s not pretend that this SCOTUS majority is somehow ideologically principled even if the principle is flawed. They aren’t. They’re partisan hacks that are bought and paid for.

Uncle Thomas made it clear he has his eyes set on contraception, consensual gay sex, gay marriage, and potentially interracial marriage. Whoops, how did that last one slip in there!

LK is going to be pissed that you made fun of Clarence Thomas.

I mean if you want a prime example of rule by the extreme minority this is it. Think about the percentage of people that identified as Christian or even religious back when Roe first became law, now look at those same numbers. Fucking ass backwards.

It’s even worse than that. In most religious groups, a majority or plurality think abortion should be legal including mainline Protestants, Black Protestants, and even Catholics.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/views-about-abortion/

As plenty of religious people including clergy on the internet have been posting, the Bible doesn't say life begins at conception and there are plenty of verses that don't attribute life to fetuses.

Last edited:
If this ultimately ended up crushing the political power of evangelicals I'd be happy. Not anytime soon though.

And the Court drags us further into a Christian theocracy with Kennedy v. Bremerton School District this morning. Still waiting to see if the administrative state is completely dismantled in West Virginia v. EPA today or if that gets pushed to next week (or another opinion day is added this week).

it's cool how now with SCOTUS decisions you know the ruling ahead of time. no more having to debate the constitutionality of things and whether this justice will see it one way or the other.

It’s even worse than that. In most religious groups, a majority or plurality think abortion should be legal including mainline Protestants, Black Protestants, and even Catholics.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/views-about-abortion/

As plenty of religious people including clergy on the internet have been posting, the Bible doesn't say life begins at conception and there are plenty of verses that don't attribute life to fetuses.

Numbers 5 actually prescribes an abortion as a test of unfaithfulness of a wife

Back