• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Yup; and that's the problem. The slippery slope that this ruling creates. If you read the case, the Owner was and is not refusing any Group her Services. She only insisted she shouldn't be forced to create web designs on her web site that challenge her religious beliefs. This is not a store Owner banning service to any Group, just controlling her advertising. Not something I would have done nor endorse but in itself, not beyond the scope of reason. But it does open as noted, a slippery slope.

It’s not hard to create a website without advertising that you did it.

Yup; and that's the problem. The slippery slope that this ruling creates. If you read the case, the Owner was and is not refusing any Group her Services. She only insisted she shouldn't be forced to create web designs on her web site that challenge her religious beliefs.
Creating web designs is her service. She is refusing a group that service

I think what he is saying is that in practice she hadn't actually done it yet. She wanted to reserve the right to do so.

Creating web designs [potentially in the future on the sole basis that she says she will do so - for the reason that she wanted to bring this lawsuit as a conservative activist] is her [potential future] service.

The procedural history on standing only provides a little insight into how this is still a case that got ruled on by the merits. The 10th Circuit held that she had standing because there was a "credible threat" based on previous enforcement actions by Colorado that she would face such an action if a same sex couple sought to enlist her services. I mean look at how many hypotheticals alone that description contains.

Forget the "credible threat" legal analysis to determine whether or not pre-enforcement actions should provide standing exist. She doesn't currently create fucking wedding websites. How "credible" a threat can there be to a business that doesn't fucking exist

The two student loan decisions, first on standing, second on the legality of the program, are two of the worst examples of this Court's extreme overreach into being the GOP's political hammer. There is no legal justification for even allowing this case's merits to be heard, let alone ruling in favor of the states on the merits. Absurd.

I thought conservative judges loved to throw out cases for lack of standing?

Back