• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

It's been a week. Why hasn't Biden offered up his nominee yet ?

The fix is in !

Liberals would do well to remember that not all Black women are the same -

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics...tect-bidens-court-pledge-pushes-pick-82562996

This is how mainstream media are describing Michelle Childs, the judge that Jim Clyburn is pushing Biden to nominate to the SC:
“During years in private practice in Columbia, Childs became the first Black female partner at one of the state’s largest law firms, where she focused on employment and labor law.”

This is what “focused on employment and labor law” really means:

“At Nexsen Pruet, Childs worked primarily in labor and employment law, principally working on behalf of employers against allegations of racial discrimination, civil rights violations, and unionization drives.

…Bloomberg Law has 25 cases registered in which Childs participated during her time at the firm; 23 of those involve alleged employment discrimination or other employment-related civil rights violations…In all but two registered instances, Childs was not representing the plaintiff but the defendant”

“Meanwhile, Nexsen Pruet, where Childs was a partner, has for years boasted of its anti-union services, advertising to firms hoping to keep their workplace “union-free,” “offer[ing] strength in unfair labor practice and union representation issues,” and warning against the impacts of the PRO Act, Democrats’ signature unionization bill that was included in the Build Back Better Act.”

https://prospect.org/justice/clyburn-pushes-management-side-labor-attorney-for-supreme-court/

Jim Clyburn is a corrupt asshole and I hope Biden ignores him and picks a different candidate.

We don’t need another anti-regulatory, anti-labor Supreme Court justice, I don’t give a shit where she went to college.

What do people think lawyers in corporate private practice do all day?

What do people think lawyers in corporate private practice do all day?

I’m not going to argue about that, the point is that there are other candidates with much more progressive bonafides, especially Kantanji Brown Jackson who worked for the Federal Public Defenders Office.

Last edited:
I’m not going to argue about that, the point is that there are other candidates with much more progressive bonafides, especially Kantanji Brown Jackson, who worked for the Federal Public Defenders Office.
Brown Jackson is by all accounts the frontrunner.

Don't remember having read what kind of work she did in private practice though.

Brown Jackson is by all accounts the frontrunner.

Don't remember having read what kind of work she did in private practice though.

She actually doesn’t have a lot of private practice experience from what I have read, a few years as an appellate litigator. She spent a lot of time clerking and a lot of time working in appeals and sentencing

I’m not going to argue about that, the point is that there are other candidates with much more progressive bonafides, especially Kantanji Brown Jackson who worked for the Federal Public Defenders Office.
I agree with you I think this Supreme Court position should be a progressive person with a lot of civil rights bonafides

Having spent the last 43 years practicing criminal defense, I'm elated that Biden is considering Jackson. It's about time that a person who represented indigent people got on the Court. I seriously doubt that Roberts, Uncle Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett have ever gotten their "hands dirty" handling the problems of real people.

She actually doesn’t have a lot of private practice experience from what I have read, a few years as an appellate litigator. She spent a lot of time clerking and a lot of time working in appeals and sentencing
From Wikipedia, looks like approximately seven years in private practice, probably doing appellate stuff.

Everyone goes private practice straight from clerking at SCOTUS to get that sweet, sweet bonus money.

Still would be interested to know what she was up to. That's not an insignificant amount of time spent in private practice, but also in no way a red flag

Back