• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Good pick. I hope Manchin or Sinema don't try to pull any stunts. If Graham can complain about someone he voted to confirm multiple times, why not Manchin?

He said he'd announce the pick by the end of the month. This is the last Friday of the month with the State of the Union address on Tuesday. I assume the obvious reasons are that some people will criticize everything.

Oh no, a self imposed deadline might slip...

It's tone deaf at best and wagging the dog at worst. The only thing people want to see Biden speak about today is our response to what is happening in Ukraine, not an announcement of a nominee when it could easily be delayed until a more appropriate time.

That’s some dumb shit. First of all, he gave his big speech on Ukraine yesterday. Second, this war isn’t getting any better so when would be the ideal time to announce? What is he supposed to wait for? Third, it’s smart politics to get an easy domestic win going into the State of the Union which will be heavy on foreign policy. And it’s very smart not to back burner Black women for some ridiculous optics argument.

The world is burning but hey, we announced a nominee that will be confirmed by a 50+1 vote anyway. He has that win whether it's today, next Friday, or later.

I respectfully disagree with you on this.

So when will the world not be burning? It’s a ridiculous argument. The Senate doesn’t even have a major role in dealing with this conflict. Maybe you’d have an argument if the State Department was voting on the nominee. Maybe.

The timing couldn’t be much better for this. Biden took the SCOTUS vacancy off his plate and passed it to Schumer. Biden’s role in this is essentially done. Now he can focus on Ukraine. Under your plan, he just keeps SCOTUS in limbo until ????

SCOTUS is not in limbo and black women are hardly on the back burner as it relates to this issue.

SCOTUS is not in limbo and black women are hardly on the back burner as it relates to this issue.

Limbo = Waiting for Biden to name a nominee
Back burner = Waiting until some unknown time to fulfill his promise

So when should Biden make the announcement? What do conditions need to be across the world in Ukraine to name a nominee right now? LK, there's a huge cognitive dissonance between being worried that Putin is going to invade other countries beyond Ukraine and saying things are too bad now to announce a nominee. I don't even think Mitch McConnell would make that argument.

Jesus you people like to nitpick. I thought it was a welcome bit of good news during a fucked up week (month? year? decade?) of assholes being assholes.

We aren't bombing Russia, we aren't sending troops, we fucking lost Ukraine and there wasn't jack shit we could do about it. I typically don't comment much on foreign policy because I don't know that much about it but Ive been following that thread and I'm not sure what should have been done by Europe/US. Sounds like Trump cozied up to Putin and paved the way for this, but im biased because I fucking loathe Donald Trump and believe he is the dumbest motherfucker to ever occupy the White House and has no grasp on reality or the gravity of what he says/does because he has lived in a fantasy world his entire life and just wants to be 'cool' to someone, anyone, and he finally is "cool" to a particular section of the country in exchange for whatever they want, which is nothing more than to stick it to liberals because liberals count gays and transgendered and non-white and non-Christians among them and these people hate those groups mostly because they are frightened little babies.

i should hope that the president of the united states can multitask

A big part of multitasking is to do the thing you can control instead of waiting after the thing you can't control.

I don't understand LK's criticism at all here. The president isn't the news cycle and shouldn't have to focus 100% of his attention on any one issue. He gave a five minute speech and now he's back at his desk working on Ukraine

I don't understand LK's criticism at all here. The president isn't the news cycle and shouldn't have to focus 100% of his attention on any one issue. He gave a five minute speech and now he's back at his desk working on Ukraine

me either. i mean the right is going to bitch and cry no matter what biden ever does about anything.

Who are these people??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/02/25/americans-divided-over-whether-first-black-female-justice-will-make-difference-post-abc-poll-finds/

Nearly 8 in 10 Democrats welcome President Biden’s decision to nominate an African American woman, saying it would be a good thing for the country. That compares to 42 percent of independents and 16 percent of Republicans. Among those who identify with the GOP, 70 percent say the nomination would not make a difference, and 10 percent say it would be a bad thing. Over half of women, 54 percent, say that having a Black woman on the Supreme Court would be a good thing for the country, compared with 35 percent of men.

They look like Americans to me. At no point in time have the majority of white Americans supported Black people gaining political power. If fact, the question over our history hasn't been for or against, it's passively against or violently against.

"Over half of women, 54 percent, say that having a Black woman on the Supreme Court would be a good thing for the country"

That means most white women don't think having one Black woman on the Supreme Court in the entire history of the country would be a good thing.

Last edited:
Back