• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

So why are military academies exempt?
Yeah it seems logically inconsistent to me. I mean if it's unconstitutional to use race as universities have in the admissions process why would we let arguably the greatest state actor of all in the realm do it? Is it because the Court believes there might be some value in it? Interesting

I believe affirmative action is largely useful as a tool for admissions but I do agree that using it is inconsistent with the 14th Amendment. I also disagree with our interpretation and application of the 14th Amendment in many instances though which is my real criticism.

Yeah it seems logically inconsistent to me. I mean if it's unconstitutional to use race as universities have in the admissions process why would we let arguably the greatest state actor of all in the realm do it? Is it because the Court believes there might be some value in it? Interesting

Because conservatives want marginalized peoples to put their lives on the line for political and corporate interests but not to have an equal shot to better their own lives.

May have something to do with how the academies can recruit for sports as well.

I believe affirmative action is largely useful as a tool for admissions but I do agree that using it is inconsistent with the 14th Amendment. I also disagree with our interpretation and application of the 14th Amendment in many instances though which is my real criticism.

How is it inconsistent with 14th Amendment?

How is it inconsistent with 14th Amendment?
I think the Asian American argument is pretty persuasive - it's being used as a negative in that aspect at the least. I think to the military exemption side it's very difficult to argue that using race in admissions passes strict scrutiny in that aspect but not for other universities.

this statement is so vague that it's actually kind of insulting
I mean what are they going to say lol? The decision came out this morning, it's over 200 pages with all the dissents and concurrences included and they can't just say "we're going to ignore the Supreme Court." Similarly, it will take time for them to figure out how exactly they want to move forward admissions wise. Making a statement is at least an acknowledgement.

The decisions just came out and it will take some time to analyze where "the line" is in college admissions. She's saying that Wake Forest is committed to having a diverse student body and to following the law. I really don't know what more you want.

I asked my sister who went to the Coast Guard Academy why she thinks that is and she thinks it's because the military can already discriminate for things like disabilities.

The major glaring problem with this kind of constitutional interpretation and application is that the current standard is that: "you cannot take race into factor unless it's tied into a concrete character quality or unique ability" but you can use factor(s) that aren't inherently race based even though they're disporportionately beneficial to white applicants (aka legacy admissions).

I asked my sister who went to the Coast Guard Academy why she thinks that is and she thinks it's because the military can already discriminate for things like disabilities.
I still don't think the military is allowed to "discriminate" against persons with disability, I think it's just easier to meet their burden to show that a person with a disability couldn't complete the requisite tasks/work of the position.

I am against legacy admissions at public, taxpayer funded, schools. Private schools should have much more flexibility.

The major glaring problem with this kind of constitutional interpretation and application is that the current standard is that: "you cannot take race into factor unless it's tied into a concrete character quality or unique ability" but you can use factor(s) that aren't inherently race based even though they're disporportionately beneficial to white applicants (aka legacy admissions).
Legacy admissions are inherently race-based because admissions have been race-based.

And if the Court is arguing that race has been unconstitutionally used as a factor in admissions in the past, how can they also not rule that giving preference based on past admissions is also unconstitutional?

I think the Asian American argument is pretty persuasive - it's being used as a negative in that aspect at the least. I think to the military exemption side it's very difficult to argue that using race in admissions passes strict scrutiny in that aspect but not for other universities.
That argument assumes there was equal protection under the law before affirmative action. Affirmative action is one way to ensure equal protection under the law.
College admissions rely on assessing various advantages which hurts people who did not have those advantages. Affirmative action is one way to address that. Otherwise, universities are just a glide path for the already advantaged.

I mean what are they going to say lol? The decision came out this morning, it's over 200 pages with all the dissents and concurrences included and they can't just say "we're going to ignore the Supreme Court." Similarly, it will take time for them to figure out how exactly they want to move forward admissions wise. Making a statement is at least an acknowledgement.
i'm just done with university admin man sorry

I don't quite understand how this will end up being enforced. Race can still be discussed in essays and it will not be unknown to the Universities. Does this open the door to litigation every time little Johnny does not get into the college of his choice? Whose to say that race was not a factor, but the person's essay on how their race affected their life was a factor? College admissions in general is such a nebulous and subjective process that I can see many colleges not really changing much of what they do after today's decision.

I don't quite understand how this will end up being enforced. Race can still be discussed in essays and it will not be unknown to the Universities. Does this open the door to litigation every time little Johnny does not get into the college of his choice? Whose to say that race was not a factor, but the person's essay on how their race affected their life was a factor? College admissions in general is such a nebulous and subjective process that I can see many colleges not really changing much of what they do after today's decision.
Yeah I think colleges will just stop broadcasting if race plays a factor. I mean the entire selection process is vague at large anyways.

Seems like it.

Back