• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Ironically, I very much prefer the minimalist approach. I haven't run a single mile since I started in anything more supportive than Five Fingers, but carrying water, phone, etc is what allows me to get out and run without impacting my family too much.

Yeah, luckily I don't have much of that stuff yet :p

on the website they suggest putting your city, etc on the id. do you have that info?
i only ask because i don't plan on being in Tallahassee much longer after April 28th but don't know where i'll end up and who knows how long i'll be in that next place

You can go the interactive version route.
compare_interID.jpg

compare_originalID.jpg

on the website they suggest putting your city, etc on the id. do you have that info?
i only ask because i don't plan on being in Tallahassee much longer after April 28th but don't know where i'll end up and who knows how long i'll be in that next place

i'm trying to think (don't have it with me at work). i don't THINK i have my city on there. with four lines of phone numbers already on there (plus a line with my name), i don't know that there would actually be space for it. but i may be wrong.

and even if i didn't have my city on there, every phone number starts with 704, so it's pretty easy to figure out that i'm from charlotte.

Mine is:
My Name
phone number /mom
phone number /dad
phone number /boyfriend
DOB/NoMedHist.

Jason's is:
Name / DOB
phone number /dad
phone number /sister
phone number /girlfriend
Dbl Dissect. Aorta 2009

and I actually did write "mom" "dad" etc after the phone numbers so people knew who they were calling. With Jason's it was also very important that his med. history was on there...
Both of ours are the velcro wrist strap. I think it's pretty comfortable compared to my HRM.

eta: I don't run with my phone, but I do bring it when I cycle. I wear my road ID always; running, cycling, snowboarding, hiking, etc.

Last edited:
eta: I don't run with my phone, but I do bring it when I cycle. I wear my road ID always; running, cycling, snowboarding, hiking, etc.

I think I would have to wear it all the time, or I would never wear it or forget it every time I went out for a run.

My phone has never accompanied me on a run. I also carry no ID of any sort. I should probably get a road ID thingie but I'm lazy. Also very rarely does anyone know I've gone running and I live alone, so I'm pretty vulnerable to rotting in a roadside ditch for a long time before anyone noticed. Mmm warm fuzzies.

I have a pair of running shorts with a long yellow tag-thingy stitched into the pocket that says "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY". I was like WOAH WTF happens if I pull this tag in an emergency?! Then I realized you are supposed to write your information there. :plos:

does anyone have the necklace one? as much as my nike+ sports band bothers me i can't imagine enjoying the wrist or ankle band. but i also don't know if i'd trust myself to wear a necklace every time. ugh..so much to think about

My phone has never accompanied me on a run. I also carry no ID of any sort. I should probably get a road ID thingie but I'm lazy. Also very rarely does anyone know I've gone running and I live alone, so I'm pretty vulnerable to rotting in a roadside ditch for a long time before anyone noticed. Mmm warm fuzzies.

I'll be honest... I'm a little shocked that you carry no ID. Even before road ID I stuck my license in my sports bra or shorts, depending on pocket. There are SO many things that can happen while you're out there, it seems irresponsible to give people no way of figuring out who you are.

I think I would have to wear it all the time, or I would never wear it or forget it every time I went out for a run.

you wear a garmin, right? if you just put the roadID by the garmin when you take off the watch, it's easier to remember. at least that's the habit i've gotten into since i can't really wear my RoadID around at work and such.

Just bought mine. I chose the slim latex wristband. Use BG8977 for $1 off.

you wear a garmin, right? if you just put the roadID by the garmin when you take off the watch, it's easier to remember. at least that's the habit i've gotten into since i can't really wear my RoadID around at work and such.

yeah, mine just lives by the polar.

alright went ahead and ordered the FIXX ID (dogtag) should be here within the week.

did you have any idea you would set off a chain of running safety ipity?

I'm guilty of never running with my phone or id. Even when it's dark and I'm running alone. I have a road ID but rarely remember to wear it. Before my husband starting running, I wore it all the time, but now I'm usually with him or friends. Of course that means when he is out hurt for 3+ months I run without any form of ID because I don't think to put it on. I do tell him how far and where I'm going when I leave to run, but that's probably still not safe.

i'm trying to think (don't have it with me at work). i don't THINK i have my city on there. with four lines of phone numbers already on there (plus a line with my name), i don't know that there would actually be space for it. but i may be wrong.

and even if i didn't have my city on there, every phone number starts with 704, so it's pretty easy to figure out that i'm from charlotte.

just looked at my roadid to be sure. and yes, i do have my city on there. though i don't know that it really would affect all that much, so if you just leave it off, it's not a big deal.

mine has:

my name
charlotte, nc usa
parents ###
parents alt ###
brother ###
brother ###

i just went and logged into my account for the NYC marathon to check to see if my status had changed to accepted (they had to verify the time). instead the status had changed...to say that i was in the lottery. wtf? i met the qualifying standards.

i shot them an email to question it. but this is stressing me out. i'm going to be pretty upset if i didn't actually get in for some reason.

Going to try this again since no one offered up any help the last time around.

I am looking to get a heart rate monitor. Any suggestions on a particular one you like and why?

I will be using it for weight training, running and cardio work at the gym. My phone has GPS, and I wear it as my music player when I run, so I wouldn't necessarily need GPS in the watch/hrm, but if there is a compelling reason to have it, let me know.

I have looked at some in the store and online, but the sheer number of them is overwhelming. Hoping someone with experience here can point me in the direction of two or three preferred ones to consider.

Just chiming in on the ID and phone talk. I don't take my phone and don't really want to. Since I'm running around pretty heavily populated areas I guess I figure I could just knock on a door or wave down a car/police car if I needed to.

A couple years ago when I started running more I did get a road ID. Right now I have it on my shoe, but after reading what y'all recommend, I might look into a wristband or something. I have my name, city, parents' number, and LadyDeacToy's number, then "No Med History."

Back