• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Clif shot blocs for me! Lemon-lime. I like the smaller consumables on long bike rides. Not running long enough yet to need them.

Clif shot blocs for me! Lemon-lime. I like the smaller consumables on long bike rides. Not running long enough yet to need them.

Nice! I heard it was starting on the beach this year rather than ending on it. I may swing by there since some friends are doing it, but I'm not running. I wish it wasn't the same weekend as the WB half. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Yeah, it's starting on the beach and both the 5k/10k are starting simultaneously. As of Tuesday there were 1700 runners registered so I'm kinda interested to see how it's going to work with 1700 people running down that strip of the beach to start.

Looking forward to it though..this is the only race I've ever ran and this will be my 3rd year. Always a great time hanging out afterward and watching NCAA games @ "The Dive"/"Shuckin' Shack"/"Fat Pelican" (no game watching there of course.

Last edited:
Good luck Racer. If it's really supposed to be that warm by the finish, you might want to consider taking a couple of bottles of your own water. I could have used a water stop every mile from 20-26 during New River last year since there was absolutely no shade and the sun was right over our heads. It was a struggle to wait for 2 miles between stops.

You did New River full last year? Awesome... That full course is brutal! I actually grew up in a house around the halfway point of the full. I did the half last year and am doing it again this year. That may be the prettiest course in America. It is awesome hanging out in the field by the river afterward, listening to bluegrass and eating barbecue!

How do people get by with eating so little during a full or half? I have determined that I need to eat a GU every 3 miles or so or I completely run out of energy... I don't eat much beforehand - just one or two GUs before a half - so maybe that is why?

How do people get by with eating so little during a full or half? I have determined that I need to eat a GU every 3 miles or so or I completely run out of energy... I don't eat much beforehand - just one or two GUs before a half - so maybe that is why?

Let me qualify this by saying I'm a relative beginner but I can and have turned out 10-11 miles without water or food and felt fine. I think I'd probably do the same for a half. All this talk about fulls and planning water and food intake boggles my mind, to be honest.

I did the New River full last year too. Man that was torture.

scooter - I'd suggest eating some solid/"real" food in the morning before your run. I like a banana and/or a packet of oatmeal with peanut butter and craisins. Or sometimes I'll have toast with peanut butter. Obviously you know your stomach best but I've never considered gels to be breakfast before a run. Try some of those foods an hour or more before a training run to see how they sit with you.

Let me qualify this by saying I'm a relative beginner but I can and have turned out 10-11 miles without water or food and felt fine. I think I'd probably do the same for a half. All this talk about fulls and planning water and food intake boggles my mind, to be honest.

it's a little different in a full, because you have to start replacing the calories/water BEFORE you really feel it. i can make it through 12-13 training miles with no water/food, but on a full marathon, i'd have to start around 6 or 7 with the gus so that i never depleted my energy.

that said, GU every 3 miles seems like an awful lot. i agree with RTQ that maybe you should try a legitimate breakfast. that would probably help add some calories so that you didn't need to start refueling quite so soon.

it's a little different in a full, because you have to start replacing the calories/water BEFORE you really feel it. i can make it through 12-13 training miles with no water/food, but on a full marathon, i'd have to start around 6 or 7 with the gus so that i never depleted my energy.

that said, GU every 3 miles seems like an awful lot. i agree with RTQ that maybe you should try a legitimate breakfast. that would probably help add some calories so that you didn't need to start refueling quite so soon.

Solid food before training always seems to give me stomach cramps... but I agree a Gu every 3 seems like a lot - and it is a pain trying to carry enough. I know someone who drinks a couple of Ensures before long runs/races - maybe I'll try that to get the calories but avoid the solids...

the sunshine today makes me want to blow off work and go home and run.. i picked up a pair of the brooks pure connect shoes and i'm really anxious to try them out.... they are SO light, i'm kind of infatuated with them, i hope they work for me.

1201021B573_big.jpg

You did New River full last year? Awesome... That full course is brutal! I actually grew up in a house around the halfway point of the full. I did the half last year and am doing it again this year. That may be the prettiest course in America. It is awesome hanging out in the field by the river afterward, listening to bluegrass and eating barbecue!

Ran the full last year. I think the course threw us all for a loop since we thought it would be a lot less hillier than it was. Also, the last 6 miles were brutal since we ran back towards the start and the sun was right overhead with basically no shade. I could have used a waterstop every mile at that point!

I would eat more before the race, maybe a couple pieces of toast. I can't imagine a GU after every 3 miles, I'm pretty sure that would tear my stomach up.

Just finished 10 miles without bringing water. Holy tiredness. Probably gonna need to find a way to bring water along on my last couple long runs.

I would eat more before the race, maybe a couple pieces of toast. I can't imagine a GU after every 3 miles, I'm pretty sure that would tear my stomach up.

THIS...at the most, i would go with one every 45 minutes or 5 miles, whatever comes first. i downed a shitload of chocolate powerbar gels for my first NYC and my stomach was seriously fucked up for a good few hours after the finish line. now "just plain" GU is my go-to....

Got in a little while ago from the St. Leo's 10k in Buena Vista this morning. It was my first official 10k and pretty much my first real race overall so I was a little nervous but still managed around a 49:00 (forgot to check the time while I was catching the person in front of me). About 4 minutes behind the leaders in my age group, IIRC. Something to try and improve upon at least.

Had a great time with RTQ and friends!

St. Leo's put on a good race this morning, aside from the fact that we got surprised by the start as we were kind of milling about then BLAM the gun went off. I hadn't heard the final announcements but probably my own fault.

Enjoyed the run and pushed to a 10k PR by almost 5 and a half minutes. Ran with a friend and we crossed together, getting 2nd and 3rd in our age group. Not bad.

great running today RTQ, ippitty and ladydeac (and others who ran)!

just went for a run during the break in today's rain.... i LOVE my new shoes :)

Racer, how was your full today?! It was WAY warmer than I was thinking and obviously significantly warmer than any training I had really done.

In general I have nothing but positive things to say about the way Rock N Roll ran the race today (Washington, DC). Expo went well, corrals were well spaced, course was good, etc. I have not done all that many races, but I was very happy with the way things went today. My only beef was the slight uphill right at the end and the false finish line (thanks, Snickers Marathon Bars for putting those massive flags a few hundred yards from the finish line).

My freshman year Wake roommate and I (who have remained friends since) ran together today and were aiming for 2:00 (she had run a half before, but this was my first). I finished at 2:00:57 (dagger!). Although I guess I can't be too mad about less than a minute when we finished, ran the whole way (save for 3 brief water stops), and had no need for the medical tent after (not to mention the fact that we had people over to our house for a St. Paddy's Day party starting at 12:30 and I'm still truckin!).

It's really amazing how different race day is from training. I had gotten so bored training by myself but it was awesome to not only run with my friend, but obviously also have race day adrenaline, cheerleaders along the course, bands along the way (Rock N Roll race), and a few friends who were along the course that we saw. I was getting sort of burnt out on running for a bit but now I'm all pumped again :D

Drawback is that my heel is still hurting. I guess I need to actually see a Podiatrist now. I was putting it off since I assumed he/she would advise me not to run today's race. Boo.

Back