• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

The reptiles are now out for the Spring. Came across a 10'+ black snake out at Salem Lake on Wednesday afternoon. Talk about getting your heart rate up!!!

I ran 100s of miles at Salem Lake while I was at Wake and not once did I ever see a snake. I saw lots of deer, but never snakes.

A couple years ago I saw a black snake at Salem Lake that was easily 2 feet long. It was just sunning stretched on the path and I could see it had recently eaten, but it still freaked me out and I carefully tiptoed around it as far from the head as possible.

I have seen tons of snakes at Salem Lake. I've never seen a deer though.

I once ran into a middle aged woman peeing on the trail. Her young son was holding the toilet paper for her.

I have seen tons of snakes at Salem Lake. I've never seen a deer though.

I once ran into a middle aged woman peeing on the trail. Her young son was holding the toilet paper for her.

ON the trail? like she didn't even dip behind a tree in the woods?

if you gotta go, you gotta go. but you definitely need to go off of the trail...

ON the trail? like she didn't even dip behind a tree in the woods?

if you gotta go, you gotta go. but you definitely need to go off of the trail...

She stepped slightly off of the trail, but it was on the lake-side, not the wooded side. And it was between mile 5-6 where there is hardly any foliage between the trail and the lake -- it was at one of those clearings with a bench, so she was not covered at all. Essentially, we came around the corner and had a full-ass view. She didn't really make any attempt to hide. Sadly, that is not even close to the strangest things seen on runs.

I've never seen a deer at Salem Lake.

anyone know if the water fountains are back in operation yet? out of hibernation?

Last year I ran across a turkey on an early April morning. It was a jake and took off for the woods. One month later I biked across an 8' copper head on the greenway trail....damn thing was fat and did not back off.

While they continue to cover the lake trail with a new surface, I would bet the reptiles are getting pushed out of their holes. and on the move.

So I finally broke down and made a podiatrist appointment to check out my bum foot. Heading out to see what he has to say in a few minutes. Don't tell me to stop running! :eek:hnoes:

The day before my wedding, I nearly died at Salem Lake.

Put in about 4 miles on the treadmill today as it was pouring in Charlotte. Not ideal, but I put on some soccer and was good. Longest run since I got a walking boot off about a month agi.

Just plotted the greatest 11 mile run ever around Winston with the only real uphills being on 1st Street and Pine Valley. Luckily my nerdy love of maps has helped to pique my interest in running.

So I finally broke down and made a podiatrist appointment to check out my bum foot. Heading out to see what he has to say in a few minutes. Don't tell me to stop running! :eek:hnoes:

Bad news is that yes, I have plantar fascitis with some bursitis. Doctor wrapped it up and told me to take a couple days off and then at my appointment next week he is going to teach me some stretches to help. He also wants to look at my running shoes to see how they are wearing and if he would recommend inserts or something different. Good news is that he was awesome (seriously, if anyone in DC needs a podiatrist, I would definitely recommend him), and he runs himself, so I didn't get any lectures or advice about running less, etc. Yay!

So I'm not going to run the Charlottesville half in two weeks, but am now thinking about running the GW Parkway 10-miler on April 22. Anyone else in the area and running then?

18 miler today. My normal trail is closed due to the death of the high school kid on it last week, so I have to do it on a 5 mile loop at our local airport.

The day before my wedding, I nearly died at Salem Lake.

Put in about 4 miles on the treadmill today as it was pouring in Charlotte. Not ideal, but I put on some soccer and was good. Longest run since I got a walking boot off about a month agi.

Wait, how did you almost die?

18 miler today. My normal trail is closed due to the death of the high school kid on it last week, so I have to do it on a 5 mile loop at our local airport.

Wait, how did you almost die?

Another buddy and I set out to run about 12 miles. We were going to double up on Salem Lake. It was in August, around the time we'd had some pretty decent hurricanes or tropical storms. Around mile 5-6 on the first lap, we came to a spot where the water had covered the trail. There was a sign saying not to cross if there was water on the path, but we figured we could walk across. BIG MISTAKE. We were walking in ankle deep water, that quickly turned to waist high. We were kind of laughing talking about how gross the water probably was and whether or not there were leeches in the water when, BOOM, water to our heads and pretty decent current. I didn't think there was any chance it could get the deep, and still don't know. Luckily, we were both pretty close and decent swimmers and got off to the side. I don't know where the water would have taken us, but it was crazy. We ended up near the bottom of the hill that goes up to the railroads. We couldn't go forward or backwards from where we were, so we had to climb the hill and walk the railroads. We ended up having to climb a fence over near whatever college is over and run back near the golf courses.

i think i've got a mild case of anterior tibial tendonitis. has anyone ever experienced this? its only in my right leg and i don't think its shin splits because the pain is definitely in the belly of the muscle but i've had to cut workouts the last 2 days short because of it. its not terribly painful when i run but more of a severe annoyance. i'm thinking doing stadiums last week for the first time in like 7 months may have contributed to it. anyone have any suggestions other than stretch and ice which ive started

Never had anything like that CA. I do have tendonitis in both of my wrists though and its sucks balls. If I put more than a little pressure on my wrists they hurt like hell. I've started wearing gloves to do almost any weight lifting, regardless how light or how little of a grip it requires.

Also since this thread got bumped and we're discussing running injuries, I noticed after my 11 miles last night that a callous on one of my toes might be a little infected. Since i've started running 4-5 times a week and working up towards my half I've started to develop callouses/dead skin every once in a while. Normally I just pick it off with nail clippers, but this time i have one of the tip my second toe and it looks somewhat black underneath it. Its not really sensitive unless is outside of the sock, but it still concerns me a little.

Does it sound like its infected? Should I go to the doctor? Will he advice me not to run for awhile? Because if he will I'm gonna probably put off going until after my half on April 14th. I've trained too long not to finish this thing.

i don't know anything about infections but that definitely doesn't sound good. i probably wouldn't go to the doctor because i pretty much only go to the doctor when i am forced to, but i might would get that checked out if i were you.

anyone else running the cooper river bridge race this weekend?

So I'm pissed...

After 3 weeks of running (and actually really enjoying it), I started getting pain in my knees. I had knee surgery in high school, but it wasn't that. It was like my knees were bruised. There's a place on each of my knees, on the inner kneecap, where I can press and it feels like a bruise. I tried running on it and it hurt even worse. I've been using Advil and icing them after running, but they pretty much hurt all the time.

My father says its tendonitis. I'm not sure. I don't want to go to the doctor about it, but want it to stop! Anyone have any tips for me?

Back