• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Big Sur was my first marathon.

That view from Bixby Bridge is so awesome. You cross it (up a pretty big hill) overlooking the Pacific, these amazing cliffs, with waves crashing, and on the other side, a gorgeous deciduous forest, and you get to the other side of the bridge, and there's a dude there in a tux with tails, a grand piano, just belting out tunes. One of the coolest experiences of my life, and I got to run it with my dad.

What do you mean Boston has "embraced" banditing for years? Do you mean the city? The race? I don't think either makes sense. The only people who have embraced banditing are the bandits.

I mean exactly that: that the race directors of the Boston Marathon -- including current RD Dave McGillivray, who himself raced unregistered for years -- have traditionally looked the other way when it comes to bandit-racing. As long as they started in the back of the final corral, the thousands of unregistered runners were welcomed to run.

According to McGillivray, bandits were officially banned for the first time this year because of the increase in numbers to 36,000.

Big Sur was my first marathon.

That view from Bixby Bridge is so awesome. You cross it (up a pretty big hill) overlooking the Pacific, these amazing cliffs, with waves crashing, and on the other side, a gorgeous deciduous forest, and you get to the other side of the bridge, and there's a dude there in a tux with tails, a grand piano, just belting out tunes. One of the coolest experiences of my life, and I got to run it with my dad.

That sounds awesome. Tough course?

To say the least. One of the harder rated in North America if I'm not mistaken.

big-sur.png

That monster hill you see is 5X Heartbreak in length, and steeper the whole way. The entire course is up and down.

WORTH IT.

Just lost literally 4 pounds of sweat in one lap around Salem Lake. Humidity is back, baby!

The Official OGBoards Running Thread: Boston. Meb. America.

Welp it happened. Finally had the cramp city, hot as fuck, race. Had to walk/run the last 10-11 miles. Finished a hair under 4:20

Welp it happened. Finally had the cramp city, hot as fuck, race. Had to walk/run the last 10-11 miles. Finished a hair under 4:20

I was watching your times on FB. Looked great through the half, and then...
Regardless, way to power through and finish it. Celebrate well!

Last edited:
Got home after a celebratory Austin dinner to watch the re-telecast of Boston. Fuck my bitch self. I should of run myself to the bone. The wheelchair finishers are so incredible.

sorry your race didn't go well this weekend, brasky. I'm sure you gave it your all - better not to get injured by pushing too hard when cramped up in the heat.

Aside from injury, under what circumstances would you not attend a race?

If it was called the Tarheel 10 miler. After seeing pictures on my FB feed of Kenan Stadium and the old well from friends who ran it this weekend, there's no chance I would ever consider it.

Fair.

I think I asked the wrong question, let me try again:

If you were registered for a race, what (if anything), other than an injury, would keep you from showing up to start?

I wouldn't attend if weather was too dangerous or if logistics had changed significantly.

Once I registered for a 5k which was postponed due to snow and I couldn't do the make-up date.

Last year I registered for a 44 mile race from Missouri to Kansas and I hadn't fully considered the expenses of travel and lodging. As it got closer I was in the process of buying a house and couldn't justify the travel expenses that would have added up to about $1000 for airfare, car rental, hotel and the general expenses of a solo vacation.

I wouldn't attend if weather was too dangerous

What sort of weather would be "too dangerous" that wouldn't result in a postponement anyway? That said, outside of multiple lighting strikes, I haven't found any weather I don't like to run in, besides middle of the day summer weather.

I wouldn't attend if weather was too dangerous or if logistics had changed significantly.

Once I registered for a 5k which was postponed due to snow and I couldn't do the make-up date.

Last year I registered for a 44 mile race from Missouri to Kansas and I hadn't fully considered the expenses of travel and lodging. As it got closer I was in the process of buying a house and couldn't justify the travel expenses that would have added up to about $1000 for airfare, car rental, hotel and the general expenses of a solo vacation.

this is more the boat I'm in. Not quite that extreme, but there's a short race about 2 hours away from here that I've signed up for (it was pretty cheap) and the closer I get to the event (it's saturday), the less sense it's making to do it. It's a huge time commitment as far as driving is concerned, and it is a big suck on social commitments this weekend (J's family is in town) and it's a training race more so than a legit race on my schedule. I just don't think the opportunity cost is in favor of doing the race, but I've never had a DNS.

Back