• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I would LOVE to hear that it's "just" an IT band issue and not something torn. Thanks for your feedback!
I was convinced something was torn just based on how excruciating it was to run (felt like someone was jabbing a fork into the side of my knee) but my doctor diagnosed it as IT band immediately based on symptoms, and also said that if something had been torn that I wouldn't have even been able to walk. He also did some stretches to test, and they were all pain free.

damn. the fork thing sounds familiar.
as mentioned, pretty much no pain doing anything else.

le sigh.

My IT also felt like I was being stabbed in the knee, though I thought knife, not fork. It did hurt to roll it out, sometimes to tears, but only right after it had flared up. I also never use my foam roller or stick unless there has been pain so the ole muscles aren't accustomed to the pressure. My longest-term ITBS was in early 2009 so I don't remember completely, but I definitely was not out of commission for 6 weeks. I went to physical therapy, but would say it was at most 3 weeks of limited running (I was training for my first half marathon so I wasn't willing to stop). It also flared up during the JFK 50 miler last year, but I still raced a 5k hard 3 weeks later with no pain. Was burned out though so it's possible I hadn't run besides that in the three week interim.

My longest-term ITBS was in early 2009 so I don't remember completely.

"But who can remember pain, once its over? All that remains of it is a shadow, not in the mind even, in the flesh. Pain marks you, but too deep to see. Out of sight, out of mind."

Look! A relevant quotation from an excellent book that I recommended to you! Now you have to read it.

"But who can remember pain, once its over? All that remains of it is a shadow, not in the mind even, in the flesh. Pain marks you, but too deep to see. Out of sight, out of mind."

Look! A relevant quotation from an excellent book that I recommended to you! Now you have to read it.

Cite your source, dude.

Cite your source, dude.

DeacFreak does well to point out the ostensible threads of hypocrisy in wakephan's most recent submissions but for two crucial facts:

1) He did make use of quotation marks despite not immediately citing the source, because
2) The context should be directly obvious to its intended audience.

viz. lol

Just did a pain-free brisk 4 miles... I rolled out like crazy last night, so hopefully rolling/stretching can keep it at bay, whatever it is.

The Official OGBoards Running Thread: Fall Running is Fun Running

So several years ago, I got fitted for shoes that had support for over probation and actually go to the point where I enjoyed running then a year and a half ago got fitted for shoes and told the guy [high schooler] about the fact that my feet over pronate.

He got me a pair of shoes and I hated them and would have returned them but for moving out of the city. [ETA: over thanksgiving talked to an Adidas rep who noted my shoes were meant for neutral runners]

So I finally went and got new shoes on Monday with the support after the guy noted the pronation and took them for a spin last night.

The outside muscles on my legs were killing me. Is this just my legs getting used to the new shoes after a year and a half of the others?

Last edited:
W-S forecast for Saturday is solid rain. Mistletoe roll call?

5k here

We're running a 24-hour race starting on Saturday morning and chance of rain is around 60%. Fun times.

Also, does anyone on here swim?

We're running a 24-hour race starting on Saturday morning and chance of rain is around 60%. Fun times.

Also, does anyone on here swim?

:wiggle:

I got on the treadmill with my new shoes thinking I needed to just break them in and could t get through 10 minutes of walking. Going back on Saturday.

Mistletoe was fun, but the uphill start sucked. Glad the rain held off for the part.

To be what seems like one of RW premier running events in Winston, Mistletoe seems to disappoint me every year. The lack of gatorade at all but one (I guess technically two) water stops is a little inadequate for a pretty hilly half marathon. Seems like medals cut some corners this year too. It's probably just lack of competition this time of year. I like the course alright despite the hills, but there are just some little things that need to improve. Food at the after party was great, and the reusable cups were a nice touch this year. All and all an average to slightly above average half marathon that has very little standing in its way from being great.

To be what seems like one of RW premier running events in Winston, Mistletoe seems to disappoint me every year. The lack of gatorade at all but one (I guess technically two) water stops is a little inadequate for a pretty hilly half marathon. Seems like medals cut some corners this year too. It's probably just lack of competition this time of year. I like the course alright despite the hills, but there are just some little things that need to improve. Food at the after party was great, and the reusable cups were a nice touch this year. All and all an average to slightly above average half marathon that has very little standing in its way from being great.
This is the first time I've participated in the event, but it seemed to me the emphasis was on providing a party atmosphere for families rather than a first-class race. I don't know how it compares to the past 30 years, but I thought it was overall a good event.

Back