• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

My trail marathon this weekend is at risk of cancellation due to trail conditions and the fact that we park in dirt and grass lots and are likely to do serious damage rolling so many cars in and out of there. Kind of anxious to get the final word. They also might have to re-route the course if we do have it, and ditch all the singletrack and stick only with the bridle trails.

Umstead Trail Marathon is cancelled. :(

so much for my big celebration for my 100th race. I'd requested bib #100 and everything.

It's for the good of the park, but I'm disappointed.

Imma do me, ok? I'm pretty much confined to planks until my butt heals anyway.

If you really wanna tighten that core up, 15 minutes of p90x ab ripper 3x a week will do it for you. The only downside is that when you're just starting out you'll be so sore the first few weeks that other things will probably be more difficult.

Umstead Trail Marathon is cancelled. :(

so much for my big celebration for my 100th race. I'd requested bib #100 and everything.

It's for the good of the park, but I'm disappointed.

that sucks, sorry RTQ.

Maybe Tobacco Road for a March race?

Can someone explain tempo runs? My understanding is you hold a pace for a period, move up to a different pace, and slow down as you finish. Is this correct?

Today, I was supposed to run 40 min tempo. My plan was,

5 min - > 10 min/mile
10 min - < 10 min/mile
10 min - < 9 min/mile
10 min - < 10 min/mile
5 min - > 10 min/mile

Here's what it ended up being

5 min - > 10 min/mile
10 min - ~ 9 min/mile
10 min - < 9 min/mile
15 min - ~ 9 min/mile (oops, forgot to slow down)

Maybe it means I'm not pushing myself enough? Heck if I know. I'm planning to run my 1/2 marathon at 9 min/mile pace, though I might be able to do faster.

Can someone explain tempo runs? My understanding is you hold a pace for a period, move up to a different pace, and slow down as you finish. Is this correct?

Today, I was supposed to run 40 min tempo. My plan was,

5 min - > 10 min/mile
10 min - < 10 min/mile
10 min - < 9 min/mile
10 min - < 10 min/mile
5 min - > 10 min/mile

Here's what it ended up being

5 min - > 10 min/mile
10 min - ~ 9 min/mile
10 min - < 9 min/mile
15 min - ~ 9 min/mile (oops, forgot to slow down)

Maybe it means I'm not pushing myself enough? Heck if I know. I'm planning to run my 1/2 marathon at 9 min/mile pace, though I might be able to do faster.

YMMV, but I find tempo runs much better done by feel than checking my watch. Run them based on effort.

that sucks, sorry RTQ.

Maybe Tobacco Road for a March race?

I may try to jump onto a team for Lapper's Delight this weekend, but I wasn't really planning on a 24 hour race (and it'll be a mudfest with the 1.5 mile loop being covered thousands of times). My other weekends are pretty full already.

I was trained to think of tempos differently:

Don't think of the "easy" parts as part of the tempo, but rather as warm-up and cooldown. And the tempo bits should be consistent--don't change your pace, it isn't intervals. A 40-minute tempo should be forty minutes at tempo pace plus a consistent distance to warm-up/cool-down.

I'm not sure how a marathoner thinks about tempos, but in general, they are supposed to be 75% of race pace. Using that logic, for a 9/mile race pace, your tempos should be at 9:20-9:30 pace. Your warm up and cool down should be significantly slower.

If your tempos at 9/mile feel too easy, perhaps you should set your goal pace faster for the half?

If your tempos at 9/mile feel too easy, perhaps you should set your goal pace faster for the half?

I feel like I can run faster, but not sure how that plays out for a longer distance. My fastest 5k is 9:00 pace, but I'm sure I could run one faster today.

My 8m last week was < 10:00 / mile (if you take away the first mile where I was dodging ice and snow crags) and my half is at the beach, so given the flatness and adrenaline / competition / training, I'm confident I can do 9:00. Faster, I don't know.

I feel like I can run faster, but not sure how that plays out for a longer distance. My fastest 5k is 9:00 pace, but I'm sure I could run one faster today.

My 8m last week was < 10:00 / mile (if you take away the first mile where I was dodging ice and snow crags) and my half is at the beach, so given the flatness and adrenaline / competition / training, I'm confident I can do 9:00. Faster, I don't know.

Headwinds will be a problem at the beach. You won't know your half pace until you run it really, and probably a few times. Focus on effort.

committed to the Lapper's Delight for this weekend, and nabbed a spot on Bourbon Chase relay team for this fall. Fun fun!

BOOM: Just lowered my PR by 1 minute and 46 seconds! Tone set, next up: Cooper River, 10k pr.

Nice job!

I really enjoy the Bridge Run despite the crowd. The finisher's festival is a nightmare, but when you get in a corral up front, it's a great race. I assume you'll be with the pros?

Nice job!

I really enjoy the Bridge Run despite the crowd. The finisher's festival is a nightmare, but when you get in a corral up front, it's a great race. I assume you'll be with the pros?

Not quite with the pros, the pointy end of the spear in that race is legit. Last year 10 people ran sub 30:00. 38 people ran sub 34:00 including the top 5 women. I will be at the front of the sub 40 corral and finish in the top 1% :)

Well done, JB. Sorry about the suspension.

In my 8 mile training run today, I PRed a 10k. Unfortunately, Garmin didn't count it because I didn't stop.

Ran the Columbia half marathon yesterday. After dealing with IT Band issues for the last few months, I wasn't sure how it would go, but I was able to run the whole thing without any pain in the 1:52 range. I'm pretty freaking happy about that

Back