• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

damn wtf kind of ultramarathons are y'all training for

hundred mile weeks jeesus

I've often thought where do these ultra people even find the time to do it if they are so inclined?

I've often thought where do these ultra people even find the time to do it if they are so inclined?

I have a friend training for Ultra-Trail Du Mont-Blanc (http://www.ultratrailmb.com/en/) and she's knocking out 100 mile weeks. It's basically work, run at lunch, run more after work, eat/drink, sleep. repeat. Lots of back to back long runs on the weekends. Much miles.

For the CLT runners, has anyone run the Davidson trails/paths or anywhere in Waxhaw. Looking to change up my run this weekend.

your 'most sore' day is 2 days after the activity, right? ...right? please?

guess i'll find out tomorrow.

Hey leebs - tell me about why you take maltodextrin water instead of other drinks during a race.

When you're racing for 12hr, is that all you eat? Seems like a long time to not eat.

Last edited:
your 'most sore' day is 2 days after the activity, right? ...right? please?

guess i'll find out tomorrow.

late the day after and 2 days are usually the worst for me but not sure if it's different for an IRONMAN

Hey leebs - tell me about why you take maltodextrin water instead of other drinks during a race.

When you're racing for 12hr, is that all you eat? Seems like a long time to not eat.

It's easier for your body to process the calories because the osmolality of the 'food' makes it so easy to absorb into your system. As far as not "eating" - you never feel hungry because your stomach is full (every 20 min you take in 4oz of liquid (malto water), and also drink normal water to stay hydrated), and you're getting plenty of calories. You mix the malto in based on a weight/effort calculation; for me, I end up taking in 18 grams of malto every 20 min- so thats 74 calories (1g malto = 4 carbs), or 214 calories per hour. On the run portion, those doses drop back to 12-13g malto every 20 min. Your body is getting the fuel it needs and again, you feel 'full' from the volume of liquid.

I do this instead of bars and stuff pretty much because its what my coach/her coaching team recommends for their athletes. It's relatively simple to figure out, it's consistent, you can easily train with it, and it's CHEAP. I spent $70 on a 50lb bag of malto powder (it's HUGE) at the beginning of the season and have barely made a dent in it. Compare that to $2-$3 per bar, $1.50 per gel, etc, and how many of those you go through in a training cycle... I'd say I used mayyyybe $20 worth of malto powder.

late the day after and 2 days are usually the worst for me but not sure if it's different for an IRONMAN

as it turns out, yesterday was the worst. today is not so bad- only the final "plop" into a chair is not graceful. everything else is basically back to normal.
That said, don't tell me I have to run anywhere.

as it turns out, yesterday was the worst. today is not so bad- only the final "plop" into a chair is not graceful. everything else is basically back to normal.
That said, don't tell me I have to run anywhere.

Sounds like it's time for a recovery run!

bym, if you're interested in Malto/liquid nutrition, you should check out https://www.infinitnutrition.us/

it's basically your own personal blend of malto based on various factors; you can also pick a flavor. I know a few people who use and really like this. I basically do the DIY version of this.

bym, if you're interested in Malto/liquid nutrition, you should check out https://www.infinitnutrition.us/

it's basically your own personal blend of malto based on various factors; you can also pick a flavor. I know a few people who use and really like this. I basically do the DIY version of this.

I'll check it out. I'm just curious about the nutrition. I don't move at the consistent distance where gels are going to be a cost issue.

gotcha.
yeah, there are a few schools of thought about all of it, this is just one of them. it worked well until about 10 miles into the run, at which point i was just effing DONE with the malto. 10 hours of the same flavor was enough, and i was having to force it in/resist the gag. i ended up switching to just whatever sounded good at the time of the things they were offering on course. as it turned out, chicken broth was my #1 for the rest of the run. i'd get to an aid station and take a swig of broth, a swig of gatorade, and a swig of water. at mile 19, i switched to a swig of broth, a swig of redbull, and a swig of water.

gotcha.
yeah, there are a few schools of thought about all of it, this is just one of them. it worked well until about 10 miles into the run, at which point i was just effing DONE with the malto. 10 hours of the same flavor was enough, and i was having to force it in/resist the gag. i ended up switching to just whatever sounded good at the time of the things they were offering on course. as it turned out, chicken broth was my #1 for the rest of the run. i'd get to an aid station and take a swig of broth, a swig of gatorade, and a swig of water. at mile 19, i switched to a swig of broth, a swig of redbull, and a swig of water.

See, you should've taken the nutella gels!

Back