• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I have a weird injury/condition going on. I thought it was a hamstring pull/strain high in the back of my right thigh. But, I keep resting it and it doesn't get better. It actually radiates into my butt and down my leg some. And, it hurts just lying in bed or sitting driving a car. It is almost like a nerve issue... Anyone had anything like this? Could it actually be something in my back impinging on a nerve?

You likely have Piriformis syndrome, which is what happens when you piriformis gets worn out / tight and wraps around your sciatic nerve, causing pain / numbness.

The remedy is good old rest, roll, stretch, strengthen.

Summer colds and illnesses have to be the worst. I've had one all week, although not bad enough not to run. I went out for an 8-miler on Wednesday and just totally crashed about half way through. I was able to get through yesterday's 5 miler, but I couldn't have gone much more.

Summer colds and illnesses have to be the worst. I've had one all week, although not bad enough not to run. I went out for an 8-miler on Wednesday and just totally crashed about half way through. I was able to get through yesterday's 5 miler, but I couldn't have gone much more.

they definitely seem worse in the summer. and sick running plus stupid humidity? no thanks.

Anyone run any good routes/trails in Columbia, SC? I'm headed there for a wedding and looking to put in 15 or so.

You likely have Piriformis syndrome, which is what happens when you piriformis gets worn out / tight and wraps around your sciatic nerve, causing pain / numbness.

The remedy is good old rest, roll, stretch, strengthen.

Excellent diagnosis. Spot on...

I have a weird injury/condition going on. I thought it was a hamstring pull/strain high in the back of my right thigh. But, I keep resting it and it doesn't get better. It actually radiates into my butt and down my leg some. And, it hurts just lying in bed or sitting driving a car. It is almost like a nerve issue... Anyone had anything like this? Could it actually be something in my back impinging on a nerve?

Too many Franklins in your wallet. Switch to left or a front pocket.

Excellent diagnosis. Spot on...

I never responded but this does seem to describe what I have been struggling with. And it still hasn't gone away. I have let it rest and hardly ran at all in August. I have started taking Motrin regularly hoping to take the inflammation down. I am not very good about stretching, though.

I never responded but this does seem to describe what I have been struggling with. And it still hasn't gone away. I have let it rest and hardly ran at all in August. I have started taking Motrin regularly hoping to take the inflammation down. I am not very good about stretching, though.

I had to fix mine with foam rolling and stretching and then prevent future issues with strength training.

I do so much resistance band work... so much.

After every run, I do toe touches, heel drop calf stretches, cross-leg IT band stretch, hip flexor stretch and quad stretch.

I had to fix mine with foam rolling and stretching and then prevent future issues with strength training.

After every run, I do toe touches, heel drop calf stretches, cross-leg IT band stretch, hip flexor stretch and quad stretch.

But that all sounds like WORK... I just want it to get better!

This has been bothering me since March and basically has taken all the fun out of running for me lately. How long did it take you to fix yours, and can you post a little more about your routine, such as reps, etc? I just got over some serious ITB issues that kept me out of running all fall and winter, so I finally healed up around January/February and got to run pain-free for a little while before this piriformis thing came out of nowhere. I bought a lacrosse ball to sit on last Saturday and so far I think that might be helping.

This has been bothering me since March and basically has taken all the fun out of running for me lately. How long did it take you to fix yours, and can you post a little more about your routine, such as reps, etc? I just got over some serious ITB issues that kept me out of running all fall and winter, so I finally healed up around January/February and got to run pain-free for a little while before this piriformis thing came out of nowhere. I bought a lacrosse ball to sit on last Saturday and so far I think that might be helping.

I developed my PS during my half-marathon. I ran on my ITBS and it altered my stride enough that it caused too much stress on my piriformis, which likely was weak.

After my half, I took a week off from running. I walked on the days I typically run. I also started side leg extensions (10 reps/side, 3 sets) with resistance bands and one-leg squats (10 reps/leg, 3 sets). I rolled my entire left leg twice a day for over a month (30s each of glute, hammy, quad and ITB x 3). For the piriformis, it involves sitting the affected glute on the roller and rolling diagonally. For stretches, I did 3 reps of 30s for cross-leg ITBS stretch and 3 reps of 30s with hip flexor (lie on back, bend affected leg at knee and pull over other leg - I can try to find an example if you'd like).

It took about a month for the pain to go away. Sometimes, I can feel my piriformis towards the end of a 10 mile run, but it doesn't really bother me anymore.

Today, my exercise routine looks like this.

Run Days
3x30s toe touch stretch
3x30s heel drop stretch
2x30s cross-leg ITBS (don't think stretching really helps ITBS, but w/e)
3x30s hamstring stretch on back
3x30s hip flexor stretch on back
6x20s Supermans

Weight Days
A:
bent over row 3x10 / arm
standing triceps extension 3x10
standing upright row 3x10
Arnold press 3x10
resistance band side steps 3x10 steps / leg
lunge with torso rotation 3x5 steps / leg
clamshell with resistance band in side plank position 3x10 / leg
bridge plank 2x45sec
one-arm plank 2x20sec / arm
bicycles 3x10 / leg
B:
bench press 3x10
pullover 3x10
concentration curls 5x5 / arm
weighted squats 3/10
resistance band side steps 3x10 steps / leg
clamshell with resistance band 3x10 / leg
straight arm side plank 2x45sec / side
one-arm plank 2x20sec / arm
bicycles 3x10 / leg

Let me know if you want any more detail / clarification on my routines. Don't forget when you're building muscles (strengthening your weak muscles), you're getting enough calories and protein.

Ouch, the Greensboro Marathon has been cancelled.

It is with a heavy heart that we have to announce the cancellation of the 2015 Greensboro Marathon. We have been struggling with this decision for several weeks now, and have come to the conclusion that, due to the extremely low number of registrations and seeming lack of local interest, we will not be able to put on the type of high quality event that Trivium Racing takes pride in. We are sad to have to make this decision, but we wanted to let you know now so that you could make arrangements to attend another event if you wanted to. Thank you all for your support over the last few years of this event.
If you are registered for the event, we have sent you an email with details about a refund.

It is with a heavy heart that we have to announce the cancellation of the 2015 Greensboro Marathon. We have been struggling with this decision for several weeks now, and have come to the conclusion that, due to the extremely low number of registrations and seeming lack of local interest, we will not be able to put on the type of high quality event that Trivium Racing takes pride in. We are sad to have to make this decision, but we wanted to let you know now so that you could make arrangements to attend another event if you wanted to. Thank you all for your support over the last few years of this event.
If you are registered for the event, we have sent you an email with details about a refund.

Come join me for the Cannonball half, the weekend before.

Come join me for the Cannonball half, the weekend before.

Oh I wasn't going to run the Greensboro Marathon, just sad that a local event had to cancel. I've thought about the Cannonball Half.

I'm running the Bourbon Chase the following weekend (same as Greensboro marathon would have been).

On that note.... Anyone want to join my Bourbon Chase team? Oct 16-17, 12 runners, 200 miles, Louisville to Lexington KY along the Bourbon Trail, averages 16.6 miles per person over three runs. We need three more people!

Well. Probably need to find a new race seeing as how I'm already up to 20's now.

Back