• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I can without a doubt recommend training super lean on calories. Don't eat during your run/ride unless you're planning on going over 2 hours. Let that body learn to eat itself.

Then on race day (if you have a good belly) eat a legit breakfast with a little protein and a good 150-200g carbs for a full grown man. Less if you're smaller. Make good poop. Then walk around, stretch and make good poop again.

In the race try to hit at least 50g carbs per hour and something like 200-300 calories.

I also stay away from caffeine before race day so when I grab that little cup of Coke or a caffeine gel it's basically rocket fuel straight to the brain and legs.

All that said, I do have a really talented tri friend who has limited his race intake to under 100 calories of carbs per hour. Works for him, he's getting faster...

I can without a doubt recommend training super lean on calories. Don't eat during your run/ride unless you're planning on going over 2 hours. Let that body learn to eat itself.

Since I never eat before a training run, I was curious how far I could get before crashing. The answer was around 14.5mi. I never got the tingling some people talk about. I just couldn't run anymore.

Really fun gravel grinder coming up this weekend in the Lenoir, NC area. Hopefully it'll rain buckets, because rain on gravel turns it to peanut butter, which makes folks miserable, and I like it when the competition is sad. Dammit Matthew, come to me.

yepppp, i like when things get just a little sloppy - even though i'm pretty terrible at handling, i ride way more aggressively when that usually ends up working out better for me compared to others who tend to puss out (case in point: cross race last night).

I'm sure it has been discussed, I just didn't go back very far, but Stinger Waffles are the absolute jam, esp if you spread some PB on it and put it back in the package until you're ready.

Anyone running Chicago this weekend? Weather looks perfect for it.

Yes, I am. Weather looks to be awesome for running. Are you going to be there as well?

yepppp, i like when things get just a little sloppy - even though i'm pretty terrible at handling, i ride way more aggressively when that usually ends up working out better for me compared to others who tend to puss out (case in point: cross race last night).

Well it was a day. Really a glorious day as Greensboro was in a monsoon, but Pisgah was perfectly dry and overcast. 60-70 degree temps, 55 miles, 99% gravel. Freaking glorious.

My buddy had a rough day (first gravel race) and wasn't really prepped for what he was getting into. Had on road shoes! Anyhow, he fell once in a nice rut across the road, and had to hike-a-bike some on single track and un-maintained fire roads. So he bailed at the 4-hour/33 mile mark.

I had a freaking great day. Although I didn't sleep great I ended up having magic legs after the first hour and could work about as hard as I wanted without going too deep into the pain cave.

Mad props to Maple Grove Church Road. 18 miles of up and down glory, all gravel and all stunning, with surprise views of Pisgah's Grandfather District along the way.

I recommend Wilson's Revenge to anyone wanting to just get away on a bike for 4-5 hours. I think my ride time was only 4:25 and I totally took it casual, stopped and chatted at the rest stops, helped folks at times, etc.

Ended up running 13 miles at Salem Lake yesterday. I wasn't planning on running quite that far but it's good to know that I'm already capable of running an entire half marathon 2 months out. Felt like I was starting to wear down a little bit after mile 11 but didn't have any problem finishing up.

I thought the trail was in very good shape considering all the rain Saturday.

Getting a little nervous. I'll be running my first marathon in 22hr.

yah yah yah yahhhh!!!
how about this: you'll be celebrating running your first marathon in 26 hrs!

yah yah yah yahhhh!!!
how about this: you'll be celebrating running your first marathon in 26 hrs!

That or passed out. ;)

I haven't had alcohol in 3 weeks and I'm going to have some tomorrow.

Running leg 3 of the Bourbon Chase in a few hours. I've maybe had about an hour of sleep over the past day. We are having a blast though

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

So, I finished. Not a great time, and nowhere near my goal, but I finished and I'm good with that.

I had a great first half, but around 16, my stomach started cramping. By 18, I wasn't running much anymore. If I didn't walk with my hands on my hips, I thought I was going to puke, but never did. I haven't eaten and haven't wanted to.

5:20:xx

But I finished.

I'll be glad to return to halfs and 10 milers, where I can threaten placing.

That's rough, bym. Sorry you had a bad day - impressive still pushing through for a long time on your feet.

I honestly thought about calling it quits when I got to a medical tent, but I pushed through. I'm glad I did.

I honestly thought about calling it quits when I got to a medical tent, but I pushed through. I'm glad I did.

Your first marathon is a huge accomplishment. While it sucks that you didn't get the time you wanted, it's awesome that you were able to overcome the cramps and finish. Do you think you'll want to run another marathon?

Your first marathon is a huge accomplishment. While it sucks that you didn't get the time you wanted, it's awesome that you were able to overcome the cramps and finish. Do you think you'll want to run another marathon?

That's not a question I should answer right now. ;)

Maybe after a little recovery time, I'll see. The amount of time training took is a big detriment.

If I do another, I'll look for something flatter and a spring race.

Back